AMD Gallium3D Marks Huge Win: Beating Catalyst In Steam On Linux Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    As soon as those newer games provide a means for being able to provide automated and reproducible benchmarks...
    Here http://steamcommunity.com/app/330710...96522118520223
    • Can be automated
    • Reproducible, a run is performed by bot
    • Can be driven by LUA script
    • Free (till 11 Dec) as beer for all, later only full version of the game will be available
    • Works without glitches on all Linux drivers
    • Pretty demanding and modern

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
      Here http://steamcommunity.com/app/330710...96522118520223
      • Can be automated
      • Reproducible, a run is performed by bot
      • Can be driven by LUA script
      • Free (till 11 Dec) as beer for all, later only full version of the game will be available
      • Works without glitches on all Linux drivers
      • Pretty demanding and modern
      Where's any script? (or at least any proper documentation) to describe then how to be able to start the game, run the demo, and then quit?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
        Yawn... how many times have we been through this?
        Seconded.

All of these people complained back when it was all Quake engine games being used, so Micheal eventually managed to get the Valve games working in decent enough shape for benchmarking in order to silence these critics, and now they complain that he is not testing Civ5 or Borderlands 2...

You people will simply never be happy. It is just like how when Valve actually came to Linux you all acted like they were suddenly no longer AAA anymore in order that you could keep complaining that there were still no mainstream game titles on Linux...
        Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 13 November 2014, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          This is pretty good news, since it suggests that the open source drivers are exactly where they should be in a functionality standpoint.

If by functionality you mean play games then yes because there are still stuff missing/bugs in other areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeyy00 View Post
            Look, don't mean to be rude, but I don't give a crap about these old ass games.
            [snip]
            You should try a little harder.

Originally posted by Mikeyy00 View Post
            But please try some newer games. I don't give a rats ass about TF2 and Counterstrike. Those already ran decently on Gallium provided your card wasn't vintage.

Borderlands 2? Civ 5? Witcher?
            Just joined, only 3 posts and you aren't talking with very much respect. These are as up to date as you can get, so I don't even know why you're complaining.

Comment

Subscriptions

Dear Michael,

While I support and subscribe to your site, I believe there are some profound problems with the subscription system, which may actually be a disadvantage to your revenue.
              • Finding where to subscribe on the front page is not easy. You need to find a link embedded in some text. Maybe add a "subscribe" button to the top row.
              • Finding the subscription information in the forum is not easy. You need to know to go to the settings page and scroll down. Maybe add a "subscription" button to the top-right row.
              • Needing to log in at the forums before reading the front page is a pain. Maybe add a "login" to the front page.
              • Although subscribing, I still show up as a "Junior Member" of the forums. Not much acknowledgment there...

Although subscribing, I actually find it easier to just browse your front-page with an ad-blocker...

Thanks.

Comment

Excellent.

Congratulations Gallium3D/Open Source Radeon developers you are doing excellent work.
                The Intel/Nouveau and Radeon Gallium guys are brilliant. Here we have a company with hundreds of millions of dollars development budget, getting it's ass kicked by probably a team of maybe 3-5 full time guys and maybe another 10 hobbyists. That's before we even get to talking about the AMD Catalyst Linux vs Windows performance. I hope we continue to see these benchmarks increasing, my bet is that Open Soruce/Free Software development philosophy is going to trump commercial developers. Mainly because Intel/ATI/NVIDIA open source projects are sharing code/implementations so they're able to develop a lot quicker than the closed source counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                  my bet is that Open Soruce/Free Software development philosophy is going to trump commercial developers. Mainly because Intel/ATI/NVIDIA open source projects are sharing code/implementations so they're able to develop a lot quicker than the closed source counterparts.
                  You would lose that bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Where's any script? (or at least any proper documentation) to describe then how to be able to start the game, run the demo, and then quit?
                    Good base is here http://serioussam.wikia.com/wiki/Ser...nsole_Commands , but the new engine (SE4) has some new command. Docs are available directly in game, just start typing and use Tab key.

You need something like this:

Code:
                    bmk_bAutoQuit=1
                    cht_bEnableCheats=2
                    cht_bAutoTestBot=1
                    bmkStartBenchmarking(0, 60)

Comment

Don't know why people keep asking for Witcher or the Aspyr games. PCGamingWiki has already shown they do not have anything close to performance parity with Windows on Nvidia, and if that is not the case it just usually means a poorly optimized engine.

Unless Civ 5 / Borderlands got engine optmizations (and they will probably will) to give us even a hint that the engines are anything close to well performing, then benchmarks on them might be worth something. And Witcher 2 will never not be DirectX wrapped with a proprietary translation layer, so I can't see how those benchmarks would be useful at all.

The reason is that you cannot really hold drivers accountable for terribly written OpenGL. If engines are poorly implemented, they might have tremendous performance disparity between drivers, but that might just be because, say, Catalyst has internal logic to mitigate the poor implementation, designed specifically for that game, but we can't know that.

For better or worse, Xonotic remains probably the most optimized OpenGL game on Linux (at least from source review, Unigine might be good too) and that means it produces the best "real world results", assuming you can tax the GPU enough running it to keep it at framerates that matter. If you are benchmarking it at 300+ fps it does not really mean anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X