4K video & VDAPU on 6850.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
    According to Guru3D review of the R9-285 has hardware supported video playback too.
    Thanks for that link but now i am not sure even Tonga has UVD with 4K support , because that is Intel Core i7-3960X overclocked at 4.6GHz tested there and it utilize 15% of that big and overcloked CPU
    Last edited by dungeon; 11 November 2014, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Thanks for that link but now i am not sure even Tonga has UVD with 4K support , because that is Intel Core i7-3960X overclocked at 4.6GHz tested there and it utilize 15% of that big and overcloked CPU
      Your welcome. The 15% utilization could be due in part that it's basically a more efficient R7950, smaller memory bus 256bit vs 384 and only 2GB of memory vs 3GB. Page 3 broke the branding down nicely.
      The next gen R9-300x series with hardware support and min 4GB of memory should be even better.
      When they come out next year I'll look at the reviews and probably upgrade my 7970's. I'd expect AMD's AMDGPU Kernel Driver will be in place and offer a great day 1 experience.
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
        Your welcome. The 15% utilization could be due in part that it's basically a more efficient R7950, smaller memory bus 256bit vs 384 and only 2GB of memory vs 3GB. Page 3 broke the branding down nicely.
        The next gen R9-300x series with hardware support and min 4GB of memory should be even better.
        When they come out next year I'll look at the reviews and probably upgrade my 7970's. I'd expect AMD's AMDGPU Kernel Driver will be in place and offer a great day 1 experience.
        Might be but with fglrx only i afraid , tonga and newer is more efficient but only because software eg. fglrx driver now control those things . I mean for that 256bit vs 384bit you said... that means to me: more adventureious work for our beloved opensorce driver developers - they need to implement that new so called "lossless delta color compression" so that close those 128bit gap from previous generation... otherwise it is easy to guess it will be actually slower then real more bandwidth cards .
        Last edited by dungeon; 11 November 2014, 07:57 PM.

Comment

No luck with vce(omx) and 4k
          [17983.910729] [drm:radeon_cs_ioctl] *ERROR* Failed to parse relocation -12!

Comment

Working...
          X