Problem setting up dual displays with xrandr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem setting up dual displays with xrandr

First post for me, so hello phoronix forum! =)

I'm running Fedora 8 on a laptop with an X300 graphics chip. The driver is the one from the R300 DRI project, unsure of the version (it's the one Fedora 8 comes with), but "glxinfo | grep version" shows:

Code:
    server glx version string: 1.2
    client glx version string: 1.4
    GLX version: 1.2
    OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.0.2
    and "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep radeon" shows:

Code:
    (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/radeon_drv.so
    (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    (II) ATI: ATI driver wrapper (version 6.7.196) for chipsets: mach64, rage128, radeon
    (II) Loading sub module "radeon"
    (II) Reloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/radeon_drv.so
    The laptop display is capable of running 1920x1200 and I want to connect an external 1280x1024 LCD to the DVI port. When I do that, xrandr sets the laptop display (LVDS) to 1152x864 and the external display (DVI-0) to mirror it at 1280x1024.

But I want the laptop display to run at 1920x1200 and the LCD at 1280x1024 extending the desktop to the right. So I run "xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1920x1200 --output DVI-0 --right-of LVDS" and get "screen cannot be larger than 1920x1200 (desired size 3200x1200)".

Hmm, so the spanning desktop cannot have a larger resolution than that of the laptop display? This surely cannot be the case?

Anyone know what to do?

PS. I'm deeply impressed with this open source R300 driver -- it's hard to believe it's developed through reverse engineering. I use it all the time to play Open Arena and doing some OpenGL coding. Too bad it doesn't support OpenGL 2.0, although I guess that will sort itself out if you move over to Gallium3D. Anyway, awesome work, keep it up! DS.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by lakritz View Post
    First post for me, so hello phoronix forum! =)

I'm running Fedora 8 on a laptop with an X300 graphics chip. The driver is the one from the R300 DRI project, unsure of the version (it's the one Fedora 8 comes with), but "glxinfo | grep version" shows:

Code:
    server glx version string: 1.2
    client glx version string: 1.4
    GLX version: 1.2
    OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.0.2
    and "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep radeon" shows:

Code:
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/radeon_drv.so
    (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    (II) ATI: ATI driver wrapper (version 6.7.196) for chipsets: mach64, rage128, radeon
    (II) Loading sub module "radeon"
    (II) Reloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/radeon_drv.so
    The laptop display is capable of running 1920x1200 and I want to connect an external 1280x1024 LCD to the DVI port. When I do that, xrandr sets the laptop display (LVDS) to 1152x864 and the external display (DVI-0) to mirror it at 1280x1024.

But I want the laptop display to run at 1920x1200 and the LCD at 1280x1024 extending the desktop to the right. So I run "xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1920x1200 --output DVI-0 --right-of LVDS" and get "screen cannot be larger than 1920x1200 (desired size 3200x1200)".

Hmm, so the spanning desktop cannot have a larger resolution than that of the laptop display? This surely cannot be the case?

Anyone know what to do?

PS. I'm deeply impressed with this open source R300 driver -- it's hard to believe it's developed through reverse engineering. I use it all the time to play Open Arena and doing some OpenGL coding. Too bad it doesn't support OpenGL 2.0, although I guess that will sort itself out if you move over to Gallium3D. Anyway, awesome work, keep it up! DS.

Thanks in advance!
    you need a virtual line in the display subsection of the screen section of your config to set the max size of your desktop since we currently statically allocate the max desktop size at startup.
    e.g.,
    Virtual 3200 1200

Alex

Comment

Ah, thanks!

My mistake really; I had read that in the intel linux driver wiki but mistakenly placed it directly under the "Screen" section, got an x server crash and thought it was specific to the intel driver.

Thanks again, it works like a charm =)

Comment

Working...
      X