The Next AMD Catalyst Linux Driver Is Much More Exciting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Also, I can't seem to get a straight answer - does catalyst now have wayland support?
    Not conflicting with package that support wayland would be a good start (GDM/GNOME does not work with catalyst on Fedora 20).

And supporting a kernel that is less than 9 months old would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Olosta View Post
      Not conflicting with package that support wayland would be a good start (GDM/GNOME does not work with catalyst on Fedora 20).

And supporting a kernel that is less than 9 months old would be awesome.
      Considering I use KDE with Arch, neither of those are issues to me, or at least I don't think KDE cares. Arch can install catalyst regardless of kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
        You can try to rename application to "AFR-FriendlyOGL". This trick worked in the past (I used this trick to activate CF in some linux games and my own OGL apps), but at now I'm not sure if it's still works.
        So, I just tried installing catalyst and renamed some applications to that. Unfortunately it doesn't work, which is really irritating. Supposedly that's known to not work on Steam games, but I tried DRM-free games and they don't work either.

Comment

IAnybody know of a way to force an application to use crossfire?
          Like SLI, crossfire needs profiling.
          You can add to the list of crossfire profiles.
          Somewhere in /etc/amd/* or something is a text file that contains a list with all software and which profiles to use.
          The profile is a 32 bit bitmask if I am correct. Just try to cp the name of software that uses the same engine, and paste it with the new name.
          Changes are that it does not work.
          That's probably why nvidia works so well, because they probably have automated feedback in their development environments. Which they really have. In the 3D stereo support for the tegra series they even say they will keep your proflle, and that you don't have to do anything anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
            Like SLI, crossfire needs profiling.
            You can add to the list of crossfire profiles.
            Somewhere in /etc/amd/* or something is a text file that contains a list with all software and which profiles to use.
            The profile is a 32 bit bitmask if I am correct. Just try to cp the name of software that uses the same engine, and paste it with the new name.
            Changes are that it does not work.
            That's probably why nvidia works so well, because they probably have automated feedback in their development environments. Which they really have. In the 3D stereo support for the tegra series they even say they will keep your proflle, and that you don't have to do anything anymore.
            I think what you're referring to is /etc/ati/atiogl.xml. The file never existed when I installed catalyst. I manually created it I've tried adding entries to it, but still doesn't work. Adding entries to it doesn't seem that difficult, but I'm still not 100% sure if I'm doing it right and I can't seem to find a reliable source to reference.

Comment

Can anyone confirm whether this 14.50 driver is compatible with the xserver abi 18 (v1.16)?

Comment

I think what you're referring to is /etc/ati/atiogl.xml. The file never existed when I installed catalyst. I manually created it I've tried adding entries to it, but still doesn't work. Adding entries to it doesn't seem that difficult, but I'm still not 100% sure if I'm doing it right and I can't seem to find a reliable source to reference.
                A good way to test it is to just turn on the crossfire logo using aticonfig. It will blend the crossfire logo with the normal output.
                A good application to test is etqw .
                The thing is: I had 2 HD4890's and I was unable to max out a single card. I tried ETQW on ultra settings, worked fine with crossfire, worked fine without.
                Although the load on a single card is definetly a lot higher.
                The HD4890's consume too much power and hence were always making noise. So I removed one. Crossfire worked. Next gadget.

But if you didn't have the atiogl.xml, something might be missing, or changed.
                Be sure to configure crossfire with aticonfig, and to restart your X after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
                  A good way to test it is to just turn on the crossfire logo using aticonfig. It will blend the crossfire logo with the normal output.
                  A good application to test is etqw .
                  The thing is: I had 2 HD4890's and I was unable to max out a single card. I tried ETQW on ultra settings, worked fine with crossfire, worked fine without.
                  Although the load on a single card is definetly a lot higher.
                  The HD4890's consume too much power and hence were always making noise. So I removed one. Crossfire worked. Next gadget.

But if you didn't have the atiogl.xml, something might be missing, or changed.
                  Be sure to configure crossfire with aticonfig, and to restart your X after that.
                  I have tried that - this is how I know it isn't working. I know for a fact crossfire is working because the logo shows up when I run the Heaven benchmark. I've tried renaming other applications to the same binary name as heaven but that doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
                    Can anyone confirm whether this 14.50 driver is compatible with the xserver abi 18 (v1.16)?
                    Yes, Omega release support 1.16 version.

Comment

in what condition is amd driver now? I am thinking of buying amd card next, I had it before and linux drivers for amd back then where absolutely terrible, so I don't want to end up in that nightmare situation again. So are they good this days?

Comment

Working...
                      X