Catalyst 7.12 - PreInitDAL failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
    Well, I have completely removed the agpgart module and now fglrx says it can't find the agpgart module.
    xorg.log:

My Device section in xorg.conf so far is:
    are you sure that you have an agp card? it should definitively work.
    from what you say it seems that the driver doesn't compile the internal agpgart module. so try first rebuilding the driver manually (use the .run to install for your specific system or the scripts from phorogit) and then retry.
    if you still cannot find the agpgart, then first try removing the bus type option and if that doesn't work set this
    Option "KernelModuleParm" "agpgart=2"
    and recompile the agpgart.

Comment

My motherboard doesn't even support PCI-E
      Anyways, I have a Sapphire X1600 Pro with 512 MB.
      My Gart size is 256, which seems to be my BIOS's maximum.
      One other thing I noticed was that fglrx shows that I only have 256 MB video RAM...
      Oh, and the ATI installer doesn't provide packages for Gentoo, so I can't do anything other than reinstalling via portage.
      However, I'll give what you said a try.
      And by the way thanks for trying to help me

Comment

My motherboard doesn't even support PCI-E
        Anyways, I have a Sapphire X1600 Pro with 512 MB.
        My Gart size is 256, which seems to be my BIOS's maximum.
        One other thing I noticed was that fglrx shows that I only have 256 MB video RAM...
        Oh, and the ATI installer doesn't provide packages for Gentoo, so I can't do anything other than reinstalling via portage.
        However, I'll give what you said a try.
        And by the way thanks for trying to help me
        well, on gentoo it should compile the driver automatically. try posting the emerge log for the driver. maybe it has missed something when emerging the driver.

Comment

Well, the emerge process looks ok to me:
          Calculating dependencies .... ... done!
          >>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.443.1 to /
          * ati-driver-installer-8.443.1-x86.x86_64.run RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
          * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
          * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
          * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
          * checking ati-driver-installer-8.443.1-x86.x86_64.run ;-) ... [ ok ]
          * Determining the location of the kernel source code
          * Found kernel source directory:
          * /usr/src/linux
          * Found kernel object directory:
          * /lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/build
          * Found sources for kernel version:
          * 2.6.22-gentoo-r8
          >>> Unpacking source...
          * Applying ati-powermode-opt-path-1.patch ...
          [ ok ]
          * Converting 2.6.x/Makefile to use M= instead of SUBDIRS= ...
          [ ok ]
          >>> Unpacking ./../common/usr/src/ati/fglrx_sample_source.tgz to /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.443.1/work/extra
          >>> Source unpacked.
          >>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.443.1/work ...
          * Preparing fglrx module
          make -C /usr/src/linux M=/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.443.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
          make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r8'
          CC [M] /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.443.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
          /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.443.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ?__ke_request_irq?:
          /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.443.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2947: Warning: ?deprecated_irq_flag? is deprecated
          LD [M] /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.443.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.o
          Building modules, stage 2.
          MODPOST 1 modules
          CC /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.443.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.mod.o
          LD [M] /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.443.1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko
          make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r8'
          * Building fgl_glxgears
          * Building fglrx_gamma lib
          * Building fglrx_gamma util
          >>> Source compiled.
          >>> Test phase [not enabled]: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.443.1

>>> Install ati-drivers-8.443.1 into /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.443.1/image/ category x11-drivers
          * Installing fglrx module
          * ati tree 'lib' -> 'lib' on system
          >>> Completed installing ati-drivers-8.443.1 into /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.443.1/image/
          [etc, merging all files now...]

Comment

Okay, seems like fglrx didn't let me change any options which I had specified once again, so I removed /etc/ati and reinstalled the driver. Now it uses the built in agpgart, but I get the same error...
            Maybe I'm better of with waiting for 8.45

Comment

Okay, seems like fglrx didn't let me change any options which I had specified once again, so I removed /etc/ati and reinstalled the driver. Now it uses the built in agpgart, but I get the same error...
              Maybe I'm better of with waiting for 8.45
              well, i think that at this point is better to mask the package and install the 8.433. if that works keep up with that, since the fixes in 8.44 aren't so great. just remember the link to libGL.so.1 in /usr/lib/ after you install the 8.433. this update reminds me of the testing 8.41.

Comment

Yeah, but with 8.44 I'd have been able to run compiz for more than half an our (memleak bug)^^
                Anyways, has ATI's christmas present reached the public now o_O
                (I hope the present shouldn't have been the driver )

Comment

Yeah, but with 8.44 I'd have been able to run compiz for more than half an our (memleak bug)^^
                  Anyways, has ATI's christmas present reached the public now o_O
                  (I hope the present shouldn't have been the driver )
                  hmmm.... i still wonder why people would use compiz with fglrx.... it's something that doesn't work fine and doing it for me is a little nonsense.
                  well, anyway, the old driver worked quite fine too, for me.
                  as for the present: it was the driver.... for windows...

Comment

Returning to the PreInitDAL Error

This thread has gone off-topic for a while now. I am having the PreInitDAL error on a new Radeon 2400 HD Pro. I can get around the error on the Radeon card by unplugging the tv (via VGA). However, nothing is shown on the screen when I plug it back in, even though X is running.

My system is Gentoo 2.6.23-gentoo-r3. No framebuffers compiled into the kernel or loaded as modules.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by corp186 View Post
                      This thread has gone off-topic for a while now. I am having the PreInitDAL error on a new Radeon 2400 HD Pro. I can get around the error on the Radeon card by unplugging the tv (via VGA). However, nothing is shown on the screen when I plug it back in, even though X is running.

My system is Gentoo 2.6.23-gentoo-r3. No framebuffers compiled into the kernel or loaded as modules.

Any ideas?
                      of what i've seen in my xorg log it seems that fglrx disables the tv output when nothing is connected to it. i don't know if it searches for it when it is connected later, but this might be reason.
                      what i can suggest you is to emerge once again the r1 ebuild (out on the 24 of december) and try using that one. of what i've seen there has been some changes in the ati-powermode.sh and might be that the preinitdal was corrected. also be sure that the opengl is set to ati (eselect opengl show). for me the preinitdal showed with the first ebuild but then went away.

Comment

Working...
                      X