Ubuntu 14.10's Lack Of X.Org Server 1.16 Gets Blamed On AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
    maybe or maybe they stop spend money with linux,...
    you realize the only reason fglrx is supported is because of linux compute/rendering farms, right?
    they don't give two shits about video games on linux, and they'd never stop supporting linux either.

Comment

lol

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      you realize the only reason fglrx is supported is because of linux compute/rendering farms, right?
      they don't give two shits about video games on linux, and they'd never stop supporting linux either.

never say never!

canonical want the non free driver working, the first reason is the laptops with two graphics cards. and another point what different make xorg 1.15 or 1.16? if they wan't use wayland!? most like non, and remember some time ago manjaro linux devs back to xorg 1.14 from 1.15 because fglrx, but i agree ubuntu 14.04 works fine with fglrx and theres no point to wait because amd (again)

Comment

I really dislike that Ubuntu is keeping xserver 1.15. Debian never packaged glamor as external package therefore the xserver was updated immediately to provide glamor support. But AMD is so stupid to track only Ubuntu and not upstream (not even for simple kernel update fixes) that this behavior leads to bad support for several distros. Also it is incorrect to say that kernel 3.17 and pure mesa 10.3 could be used without crashing xserver with Hawaii. Not even updated with drm-fixes branch crashes go away with several games. This state is pure shit for highend AMD card users, i really wonder if AMD could be sued about this in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          In fairness, it would be kind of idiotic if someone said, "Oh okay let me go ahead and set up the proprietary driver..." and then boom, the system's borked.
          So if Microsoft, just releaases their beta at some time and then a few months later they release their next OS version, in the past even with vesa or similiar drivers included (not most recent versions) it was ok, but for canonical they need 2 seperate drivers to work or they dont include it?

Its just stupid, microsoft even broke some soundcard stuff in windows 7 with their new api and they did not care at all, if you really think the opensource driver isnt good enough, and u can update your blob-taint-injector software a while after release isnt good enough, maybe u should release your distri later.

it just makes no sense at all, as a operation system developer (its basicly a fork of GNU...) u dont include other components because a vendor has not the right driver or something. When did Microsoft do that, when did Apple do that? Did they release no DX11 for Windows 7 because the drivers worked poor at the beginning with it or something like that.

Its this we dont care about the normal way of hardware support under linux, but on the other side we also dont play like it would be normal in the proprietary world, and if possible we blame others for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            What version of Fedora? Last I heard, Fedora had newer open-source graphics components than Ubuntu, and if that holds true, then I would expect a totally different experience. I've had little issue with graphics on openSUSE 13.1 with xorg repo (latest stable stuff), and Arch.

But in any case, I have no idea if games were problematic. All I know is about two weeks ago, web browsing or opening up picture viewer could cause GPU hangs. Didn't try games. The instability I've experienced also only started happening recently (was fine in the past), and I also use oibaf's PPA.
            I suspect your issues are caused by the Linux kernel in Ubuntu. I would recommend installing the Linux LTS kernel (3.14) since kernels after that started having a lot of issues with open source RadeonSI drivers. Kernel 3.16 is especially a catastrophe for RadeonSI -- that is when my 7950 started hanging often. Kernel 3.17 seems to be fixing a lot of the bugs caused by 3.15 and 3.16 though so perhaps you can try out 3.17-rc2 from the mainline Ubuntu kernel repo.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.10's Lack Of X.Org Server 1.16 Gets Blamed On AMD

Yesterday I wrote about Ubuntu 14.10 not yet having X.Org Server 1.16 even though the first beta was issued this week and there's been a testing package repository for more than one month. This lack of X.Org Server 1.16 thus far is apparently due to AMD with not yet having a supportive Catalyst driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3NzM
              Open source drivers are absolute dogshit on Trinity mobile APUs.

Catalyst is bad, but at least I can close my goddamn laptop lid and not having it wake up to a black screen, plus I can actually run games at a decent speed.

Comment

I wish AMD would stop giving me reasons to not buy their products.... It almost like they don't want my cold hard cash...

Comment

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post

Catalyst is bad, but at least I can close my goddamn laptop lid and not having it wake up to a black screen, plus I can actually run games at a decent speed.
                  have you tried arch? i mean there are certain bugs WIP in upstream for radeonsi stability but with arch none of my radeonsi system exposes it.

Cape Verde 7770 is rock solid
                  Kabini AM1 sempron is rock solid
                  Celeron lapton with 8XXX additional GPU from lenovo is rock solid and suspend perfectly
                  4850X2 with r600g is just peachy

so either i have every system not affected by this bug or Ubuntu introduces a patch somewhere along the chain that triggers it more often.

Note: i use chromium 37 pepper flash from AUR and removed old linux npapi plugin entirely since is buggy, unstable and slow + now several sites claim is too old, so maybe this crashes come from that PoS software??

Comment

Like others have said, Arch does AMD right. The only problem right now is that I get PCI id errors on a 7870 when trying to use opencl-mesa, but it is pretty damn new and now that it is in the main repos it should be fixed eventually.

fglrx is not even in the main repo. Its in the AUR now, and if X server 1.16 breaks it, then the main repo X server will break it.

Comment

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post

Having owned Trinity desktop APUs, and currently owning a Trinity laptop, I can say:
                      Trinity mobile APUs are amazing on open source drivers. Suspend/resume works fine, they're very fast, VDPAU works, etc. The problem is your distro.

Comment

Working...
                      X