AMD Radeon VDPAU Video Performance With Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
    BTW, did you people read my first comment in this thread? VDPAU in radeon doesn't really help that much... until we have complete AVC decoding by HW, and even then, GStreamer doesn't work very well in firefox (it crashes the browser in my system, it's a known bug IIRC), and youtube uses VP8/9.
    I guess most people realise that software decoding is unbeatable , decoding units always lack to supporting some codecs/profiles, etc... but of course accelerating most used ones is good to have .

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      That defeats the point of passive cooling (i.e. silence). I actually do something similar with a 120 mm fan pointed at a half-height 8400GS, but it's running on 5V and very, very quiet.
      Have you seen the size of the heatsinks they put on bottom end GPUs with a built in fan? Their surface area is almost non existant and the fans are always built right into them. This is why I say get the passive version and add in a fan, if the fan dies it'll still be fine passively, but with the fan it'll run much cooler and give you some headroom for overclocking should the GPGPU or gaming itch bite you.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        According to my results with Athlon 5350 i guess that should work fine:

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

So Xv is around 10% average and vdpau 2% .

Maybe i can test by disabling 2 cores and downclocking it @1GHz .
        I asked as it's the slowest setup with the supported UVD chip thats on the market. How it handles it is a a bit more telling about what it's capable of then a low end GPU with a current gen CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          I asked as it's the slowest setup with the supported UVD chip thats on the market. How it handles it is a a bit more telling about what it's capable of then a low end GPU with a current gen CPU.
          Yup i also tested on second slowest E1-2500 APU equiped laptop few days ago (that is something like 2x1.45GHz)... that worked fine too, less then 10% CPU usage but for the 1080p@60 fps BigBunny variant, that one will use twice CPU power with Xv then Michel tested here (mov/qt variant).

That is the one, for example will use ~twice CPU power if Xv is used, but for vdpau it is the same , etc... I don't know why Michael does not use that for benchmark it is better quality and better shows an issue with software rendering .
          Last edited by dungeon; 29 June 2014, 11:53 PM.

Comment

What i tried to say is... With currently tested by phoronix-test-suite 30fps video variant, E1-2500 will pass that even with Xv for sure, maybe even E1-2100 (but not exactly sure for that one, because of high peaks Xv can have) . So that is not so good showcase for slowest Kabinis .

With 60fps video using Xv it will need more CPU power then even E1-2500 have, so for sure E1-2100 can't do it too, so both will struggle at that... But using vdpau it work fine and CPU usage is near to non existent .

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
              BTW, did you people read my first comment in this thread? VDPAU in radeon doesn't really help that much... until we have complete AVC decoding by HW, and even then, GStreamer doesn't work very well in firefox (it crashes the browser in my system, it's a known bug IIRC), and youtube uses VP8/9.
              Youtube uses h246 for most of its videos. I think it falls back to webm if your browser doesn't support h246. And gstreamer with HWA crashes firefox in all systems.

Also there is one more thing with vdpau. If you play a video with gst-play and try to run a vlc video with vdpau enabled it will not play it. +vlc uses more cpu than gst-play.
              Last edited by 89c51; 30 June 2014, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Youtube uses h246 for most of its videos.
                If you have a browser that supports both VP8/9 and MediaSource Extensions (like the current Firefox Nightly and I guess Chrome/-ium) you will see a lot of VP9 videos popping up on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                  If you have a browser that supports both VP8/9 and MediaSource Extensions (like the current Firefox Nightly and I guess Chrome/-ium) you will see a lot of VP9 videos popping up on YouTube.
                  As much as it pains me to say it until it is HW accelerated its a compromise.

The first AMD GPU with proper FOSS support for VP9 (HWA) + the usual mesa stuff and PM will probably get my money.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I have answered multiple times, and the answer is yes.
                    The answer to which of those questions you quoted? Come on, only one time give us a clear and precise answer. If there is progress, what for progress?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      The answer to which of those questions you quoted? Come on, only one time give us a clear and precise answer. If there is progress, what for progress?

Comment

Working...
                      X