Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d

Well, I thought I'd ask even if there's little hope of getting anything:

Could we have 3d support for iZ3D gear like the windows people? Also (slightly OT) how big changes would it require in wine?

Comment

• 64 bit kernel 32 bit userland

I run Debian with a 64 bit kernel and a 32 bit userland. The fglrx kernel module will compile and load, but X refuses to run. Seems the 32 bit driver depends on a 32 bit kernel. Will this be fixed?

I know this setup can work as the nvidia proprietary driver does fine with this setup.

Comment

• why are you doing it?

Comment

• why?

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          why are you doing it?
          Running a 64 bit kernel is currently the best way of utilizing more ram. I have 8g. But I don't need to run 64 bit userland. I have no single application which needs more than 2g of ram or other usage patterns that would make a 64 bit userland advantageous. Using the 32 bit userland I don't have to worry about chroot environments for my 32 bit only applications. Plus many applications run a touch faster as 32 bit.

The only downside I've come across so far is the fglrx driver.

Comment

• Originally posted by eikenberry View Post
            I run Debian with a 64 bit kernel and a 32 bit userland. The fglrx kernel module will compile and load, but X refuses to run. Seems the 32 bit driver depends on a 32 bit kernel. Will this be fixed?
            I'm pretty sure, the 32bit userspace driver works with the 64bit kernel module. Will test it here on my 64bit gentoo.

PS: ETQW Demo works fine here. But I'm not sure how much 32bit of the driver is involved.
            Last edited by PuckPoltergeist; 22 January 2009, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Which driver version? Not sure how Debian versions match up with Gentoo, but the version I tried was 8-10.

If I remember correctly I was finally able to get X running by disabling all 3d. If I enabled 3d it failed to load.

Comment

• Originally posted by eikenberry View Post
                Which driver version? Not sure how Debian versions match up with Gentoo, but the version I tried was 8-10.

If I remember correctly I was finally able to get X running by disabling all 3d. If I enabled 3d it failed to load.
                Tested with 8.12 and the leaked 9er. I'll try a 32bit Environment with 64bit kernel, but this will take some time.

Comment

• thanks!

I can go over the steps I took when getting it setup on my debian machine, though not sure how much help that would be at this point.

It was fairly standard module built using the debian module-assistant. The only difference was that I had to force install the fglrx source from the 64 bit debian dist as it contained the binary blob (libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4) needed with the 64 bit kernel and the 32 bit dist only contained the 32 bit blob. Note that the blob was the only difference between these 2 packages.

Comment

• Oh. There is a debian bug related to this...

Comment

• Is there any chance you can take the time to fix bugs that prevent me from actually using the card I bought specifically for Linux (HD4850) in 3d accelerated mode. As of todays release, once again despite a fresh install, I'm greeted by nothing more than a blank screen.

i.e.

ID Sev Pri OS Assignee Status Resolution Summary
                      766 blo P2 Gent [email protected] NEW blank screen x800 PCI-e card
                      1049 blo P2 SuSE [email protected] NEW Causes a blank black screen
                      923 maj P2 Gent [email protected] NEW Xorg returns blank screen with ati-drivers-8.433
                      1113 maj P2 Debi [email protected] NEW OpenGL windows remain blank: X1650
                      1322 nor P2 Fedo [email protected] NEW Blank screen at X-restart after aticonfig --set-dispattri...
                      733 blo P1 Fedo [email protected] NEW blank screen xserver fails to start
                      1116 blo P1 All [email protected] NEW fglrx 8.476 driver causes random blank screens with reboo...

How many more versions of your monthly drivers are we going to have to sit through before critical issues, - which render your hardware useless, are actually dealt with.

Comment

Working...
                      X