Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source ATI Rage 128 Driver Gets Revived

Phoronix: Open-Source ATI Rage 128 Driver Gets Revived

The open-source X.Org driver for the ancient ATI Rage 128 graphics processors has been revived in recent months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is why I love linux!

Comment

Originally posted by MannerMan View Post
      This is why I love linux!
      this is why i hate Linux.. can't this man find something more useful to do with is time, like working on products that people actually use?

Comment

This is probably meant for servers

While most of the Rage family was EOL'd in the late nineties some derivatives were in widespread use on server motherboards so there's good chance that there are still Linux users with them. Wikipedia suggests that server motherboards using Rage XL chips were made until 2006: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage#RAGE_XL

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
          this is why i hate Linux.. can't this man find something more useful to do with is time, like working on products that people actually use?
          Move your ass, do it yourself and stop whining.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            Move your ass, do it yourself and stop whining.
            I agree, what a dick comment to make.

No matter how few people it is, there will be those who simply want to get a really old machine running and use linux to access new features and speed. These can become the most loyal open source users, the ones that people forget about.

Comment

It is quite likely that the person working on the code uses the card himself, and even if it is only for nostalgia he his still filling a need, and one that is quite likely his own. If only every Linux user was as capable to make what they want to see happen rather than just whining about it on forums.

Comment

There are people stuck running Windows XP that might find a welcome change for their outdated Rage 3D graphics cards. Maybe enough to get them to switch over.

Comment

this is why i hate Linux
                  Then what the fsck are you doing on this site? Trolling?

Can't this man find something more useful to do with is time, like working on products that people actually use?
                  The Rage chips lived a fairly long life as server products, so modesetting support for them is something people actually use. In addition, the dev is probably learning a good bit from the experience and may use that knowledge in a future project. Of course, I'm sure he'll seek your approval for the next project he works on...

Comment

My wife's secondary laptop is still a G4 iBook with a Rage 128... I last used it a week ago. I have been considering installing either an updated MacOS on it (10.5), or just going straight to a PPC linux distro. If the rage128 x.org driver gets updated, maybe that'll sway my decision (bonus points if someone ports the old dri1 mesa driver to DRI2 and KMS).

I believe that rage 128 chips also shipped on quite a few server boards for years after the rage128 had become obselete.

Comment

Working...
                    X