Serious Sam 3 with AMD graphics card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for your reports.

So, the easiest for me is now to try Catalyst 13.11 Beta V9.4 to see if there is a difference for me.
    The second step is to figure out how I can use a sufficiently recent version of the open source driver stuff with my OpenSuse 13.1 system - but this a question for the other sub-forum :-)

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
      So, the easiest for me is now to try Catalyst 13.11 Beta V9.4 to see if there is a difference for me.
      Bear in mind that we're talking about different hardware here. Mine is an HD 5870, an old chipset. You're in the 7000 series, the newer drivers may be better for you.

That often happens... the latest greatest drivers can be sub optimal for the older cards even though they are "supported" (Windows too) They'll just discontinue supporting the 5000 series when it becomes impractical and provide a legacy driver.

Comment

Thank you all for your reports.

The second step is to figure out how I can use a sufficiently recent version of the open source driver stuff with my OpenSuse 13.1 system - but this a question for the other sub-forum :-)
        Dear Mibo,

I am on opensuse Tumbleweed with HD 7950 and radeonSI oss drivers. if you also decide to try radeonSI instead of catalyst I strongly recommend you to update mesa and kernel. The easiest and best supported way for a stable kernel is to switch to tumbleweed:

to update mesa to 10.1 stable choose a one-click-install from the list here:

the vovcochka one is fine for tumbleweed. One-Click:

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
          Dear Mibo,

I am on opensuse Tumbleweed with HD 7950 and radeonSI oss drivers. if you also decide to try radeonSI instead of catalyst I strongly recommend you to update mesa and kernel. The easiest and best supported way for a stable kernel is to switch to tumbleweed:

to update mesa to 10.1 stable choose a one-click-install from the list here:

the vovcochka one is fine for tumbleweed. One-Click:

http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/hom...3.1&query=Mesa
          I'm surprised that you recommend tumbleweed.
          Just a day ago Greg KH refused to include MESA into tumbleweed on the factory mailing list..
          So, I thought that just adding a kernel repo and X11:Xorg repo to my OpenSuse 13.1 might be the easiest thing to do.
          The X11:Xorg repo has MESA 10.1.0. and llvm-3.4-5.1 included, but I don't know where to get Glamor, Gallium, whatever I need to get the nice speed from the OSS radeon driver for my 7950...

Comment

I'm surprised that you recommend tumbleweed.
            Just a day ago Greg KH refused to include MESA into tumbleweed on the factory mailing list..
            So, I thought that just adding a kernel repo and X11:Xorg repo to my OpenSuse 13.1 might be the easiest thing to do.
            The X11:Xorg repo has MESA 10.1.0. and llvm-3.4-5.1 included, but I don't know where to get Glamor, Gallium, whatever I need to get the nice speed from the OSS radeon driver for my 7950...
            I know, I was the one who filed the request for Mesa 10 in tumbleweed
            Maybe I can convince him by showing him todays news of mesa 10.1 appearing in fedora 20. And you could do us all a favor and also request it on the mailing list. Every user who is interested should show his request there until he does it!

Otherwise you are fine with 13.1 and the repos you mentioned. A newer glamor etc. is not really needed. I went fine with it quite some time before I switched to tumbleweed 6 weeks or so ago.
            If you want bleeding edge with also newest glamor etc all included in ONE repo you should go vor the pontostroy repo with mesa 10.2 devel etc. inside. However it is beta quality and quite some games show glitches or won?t even start for some days ...

so now. lets all go to the mailing list and show greg how much we want an official mesa upgrade. That is what tumbleweed is there for.

Comment

I have to revert here:
              Please do not flood the factory-mailing list for the mesa 10 request. At openSUSE we have already a tool for that: openFATE.

I opened the feature request there. Please support it by voting for it here:

I?ll give Greg a hint to the poll and hope the supporter-number gets big enough to make him do it

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                I opened the feature request there. Please support it by voting for it here:

I?ll give Greg a hint to the poll and hope the supporter-number gets big enough to make him do it
                I voted it up.
                (completely forgot about this OpenFATE stuff)

Comment

Great update

Yesterday I ran SS3 again (still HD7950 and Catalyst 14.3beta - had no time for changing anything, yet) after it downloaded some 94MB update (I'm in the SS3 beta program).

And, what can I say - the stutter is gone!!!
                  The intro video plays without hickups and in-game there are no short freezes when hordes of enemies spawn.
                  I finished the "The Lost Temples of Nubia" level and hopefully find time tonight to try the next level with dark in-door areas where the torch is used - that was really problematic before this SS3 update.

Cheers
                  mibo

PS: I even caught myself running and jumping/turning on some walls - it was very smooth and reminded me on the good old Q3A days :-)

Comment

Yesterday I ran SS3 again (still HD7950 and Catalyst 14.3beta - had no time for changing anything, yet) after it downloaded some 94MB update (I'm in the SS3 beta program).

And, what can I say - the stutter is gone!!!
                    I also got on the beta (I didn't realize there was one until I saw someone else say it) and found that it improved performance, and even better last night after the last update.

I'm still using radeon and Mesa 10.2.0 with my HD5870 and while performance still isn't "great" it's now better than it ever has been. I also bought the Jewel of the Nile DLC the other night and it played quite well. (perhaps even better than the main campaign, but that could just be my imagination)

Now, when I installed the beta, I noticed some artifacts with the flashlight while going down one of those dark scaffoldings with ladders. Also, when the flashlight first switches on, I get a momentary freeze and some brief stuttering until everything is read again.

I also get a bit of corruption while in some of those alien chambers with the shiny floors etc.

Comment

Using a HD 7750 on mesa(git), Radeonsi, getting around 25fps constantly, no matter what the settings are.
                      Also, tons of flicker everywhere, and shooting makes my framerate go to about 15fps.

Windows performance is fine with SS3, as well as Source games where I can get >120fps with maximum settings (excl. AA).

Comment

Working...
                      X