AMD Radeon: Windows Catalyst vs. Linux Gallium3D vs. Linux Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
    well, nice benchmarks. they actualy inspired me to ditch catalyst and try OSS drivers. however I cannot get libtxc_dxtn to play nicely with steam. seems I have to roll my own 32 bit version of mesa in a chroot. also wine does not work properly with it ...

from my point of view, fglrx is actualy better (less work for more functionality).
    I have 64 bit OpenSuSE, and no such troubles...

BUT

You need force_s3tc_enable=true or something like that.

Comment

For the ones interested in Kabini A6-5350 (AKA ATHLON 5350), here is a review using Window$:

Enjoy the reading

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
        Just made a bunch of tests and i have bad news and good news...

The bad news is that libtxc -dxtn didn't solve the problem at all....ETQW simply got that BSoD with music playing in background and thats it...i end up giving up...

The good news is that i solved all my glitched graphics problems with AMD Catalyst !
        It was quite easy, i just needed go to Catalyst control Center as SU and *DISABLE* option CATALYST A.I. !!!

That darn thing was making all kind of glitches like menus flickering like crazy, invisible objects textures,etc,etc.

...but after i disabled CATALYST A.I. option it's all good and perfect and w/o any kind of stuttering, this beats easy W7, W8 and W8.1 in all aspects including FPS...only when compared with XP is the FPS a bit lower BUT it actually feels MUCH smoother...

I intend to test WINE tomorrow...
        I have similar hardware and have been sticking with OSS drivers because of the reasons you talked about with stuttering and graphical glitches. I have an A10-5800k myself. It makes me want to try out catalyst now...

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
          I have similar hardware and have been sticking with OSS drivers because of the reasons you talked about with stuttering and graphical glitches. I have an A10-5800k myself. It makes me want to try out catalyst now...
          Yeah but don't forget that IMHO, games like L4D2 that use a translation layer will continue to stutter...but if it's pure OGL , you have good chances

I intend to test SLACKWARE + Catalyst + ET:QW, W:ET,etc. to see what happens compared with XUBUNTU.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            For the ones interested in Kabini A6-5350 (AKA ATHLON 5350), here is a review using Window$:

Enjoy the reading
            I've read it yesterday, it is first user review and video i found on net .

gtranslate from dutch on one user review says

for all who want to design a system with the boxed cooler:
            The cooler itself is 3cm high, the fan is 50x50x20mm. Together 5cm height. Therefore does not fit into many small ITX case.
            With the fan heatsink is loud AIDA64 without load 24 degrees Celsius, under full load after several minutes of 34 degrees at the lowest numbers of revolution (1200RPM)
            The APU overclocked depending on the load of 800 - 2050 MHz
            Passive cooling in good bel?fteteten housing certainly doable. Sorry, no alternative cooler verf?gbr.
            Last edited by dungeon; 28 March 2014, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              I've read it yesterday, it is first user review and video i found on net .

gtranslate from dutch on one user review says

I'm sure there will be 3rd party coolers (in special with what it seems a "keep out zone" of 80x80mmm) but looking to the video in the link , there is NO WAY that the Dutch guy is correct !

That is a 50x50 fan for sure and looking to photos around in the net and pausing the video you can make some pretty close guessing measures....it simply CAN'T be that tall....notice that when we compares with the A10-6700 heatsink ?

That Heatsink should be similar the one from a A6-5400K...alu is ~18mm tall !!!

As for fan, there are 50x50x10mm fans , so you can shave a bit more...and i also don't believe that 50mm width fan is 20mm tall.

A stock cooler for A6-5400K with fan and all is 38mm tall....now watch video....alu is slightly thicker but fan is thinner and overall is same +/- 1-2mm at most...

Comment

PS: OK, there is a side view of it mounted on mobo that seem a bit tall on that video...i guess a 3rd party cooler in in order sooner or later....or you can pull of fan and use lateral fans....the APU seem spend so little energy that might me doable ...

Comment

Who knows someone here has better claims in mm

Athon 5350 comes the following dimensions:
                  Cooler: 22.4 mm
                  Fan: 15.0 mm
                  Distance between the radiator and fan: 2.6 mm
                  Total: 40.0 mm
                  But of course when mounted it goes higher

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Who knows someone here has better claims in mm

But of course when mounted it goes higher
                    Thanks

That measures should be accurate and are more or less what i was expecting...the stock fan seems to have build-in "shims" +/- 5mm tall.

When can cut them to shave 5mm...or buy a 50x50x10mm 3rd party fan.

Usually in AMD socketed MoBos you can count with a total of 15mm from "case floor" to top of APU/CPU IHS then add 2mm (1mm per case side plate) max for the case material....so in this situation, using 10mm thick fan, 2+22,4+10+15 = 49,4mm

It should be perfectly possible to use these MoBos with 65mm "thick" cases if you use 2.5" HDDs or SSDs...even for 57/60mm cases, it should be possible but depends where exactly is 2.5" located so it can't go over the fan, or if it goes, only by a very small area.

Comment

Ooops , didn't notice that the measures provided by you already stated "shim" measure...so, total with 50x50x10mm fan should be +/- 52mm...these numbers however don't change anything in what i said in my previous post...still perfectly possible to use 65mm thick cases and even possible to do so with some that are 57 or 60mm thick.

Comment

Working...
                      X