No announcement yet.

Catalyst 14.3 Beta Linux Driver Fixes OpenGL Performance Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm waiting for the next LTS version of xubuntu and then will try out a freshly baked radeonsi for my 7870.
    With fglrx I can run portal2, but get terrible frame stuttering. Small OpenGL games run fine as long as they are not to demanding. Sauerbraten for example is already "to demanding" and the 60-200 fps I can get, feel more like ~30-40 fps because of stuttering.

Btw. does anybody know if the oss driver supports dynamic vsync(GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear)? The closed drivers only support dynamic vsync on windows.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
      Not really. It's same Linux kernel, graphics drivers, source code and compiler with slightly different flags. Also don't expect source based distributions to give you more than 10% speed up after heavy tuning for your hardware. It's all about customization ability.
      For several times, i compiled same kernel (from kernel.org) with same settings for both, running in same hardware and UBUNTU and derivates felt laggy in comparison to SLACKWARE...
      This was tested with native games like ET:QW and W:ET that are games i play since 2007 till today in all OS....

This is ongoing for several years now , always with same results.

I also tested same situation with different rigs....same result over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
        For several times, i compiled same kernel (from kernel.org) with same settings for both, running in same hardware and UBUNTU and derivates felt laggy in comparison to SLACKWARE...
        This was tested with native games like ET:QW and W:ET that are games i play since 2007 till today in all OS....

This is ongoing for several years now , always with same results.

I also tested same situation with different rigs....same result over and over.
        Congrats, you just proved the placebo effect.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Congrats, you just proved the placebo effect.
          What placebo effect ?!?

Besides LESS FPS , when i press a mouse or keyboard button the response was and still is clearly slower to the point is noticeable as opposite to SLACKWARE where it fells instantaneous.
          It was and continues to be so bad that i almost couldn't kill anyone in online matches no matter the settings.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            How about improving the performance for games that people actually play?
            I am playing DOTA2 a lot and a few other games i think this driver gave me more performance on my 7950. I do not have exact number but everything seems smoother and more fluent.

Comment

I can't install on ubuntu 14.04 :/

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                The poor 2d performance continue
                Exactly, I'm personally done with AMD GPUs for Linux. It's a shame, I always liked supporting them, but I'm fed up their slow support and subpar 2d performance. By the time they "officially supported" Ubuntu 13.04, the 9 month update cycle from Canonical had only 3 weeks left....LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
                  I have some hope that AMD will announce something for their Linux users at the GDC. Hence they invited Phoronix there.

If not, I think that I'll run buy a high-end NVIDIA card and be done with all the torturing.
                  I agree, NVIDIA is the way to go for Linux graphics. The AMD open source driver is coming along nicely, but it still can't match the NVIDIA proprietary driver at the moment. Way more performance per $ spent going NVIDIA, and way less headaches. Don't even get me started on AMD's 2d performance /ragequit

Comment

I don't understand what gives Nvidia fanboys the right to come in here and complain about AMD when they haven't been using AMD to see how much it has improved. You don't see me commenting about the performance of Nvidia GPUs or drivers: that's because I haven't used them personally in recent times to know a damn thing about that. Also, what good does it do to write about it here? How's that going to help anything if you have problems?

Comment

Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
                      I don't understand what gives Nvidia fanboys the right to come in here and complain about AMD when they haven't been using AMD to see how much it has improved. You don't see me commenting about the performance of Nvidia GPUs or drivers: that's because I haven't used them personally in recent times to know a damn thing about that. Also, what good does it do to write about it here? How's that going to help anything if you have problems?
                      They're probably getting paid to write FUD

Joking aside (hopefully), I do wonder this as well... I personally can't stand NVIDIA, and yet, you won't find me in NVIDIA's driver section dissing their stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X