Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would only try the supported os mentionned here:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ta-driver.aspx

Make sure to install all dependencies etc. Although I'm a happy Nvidia user I cannot imagine AMD to be that bad.-

Comment

Mesa 10.2 from Oibaf OK for HD6750 as of 3-10-2014

Originally posted by Luke View Post
      What version of Linux and of Mesa are you using? I got that kind of performance about a year and a half ago-and had Evergreen cards working in Summer 2011 with open drivers then in xorg-edgers.

That card is almost the same as my HD6750 except for an older BIOS and having all, not just some, of its cores enabled. You need to use Linux 3.13 or better for power management by default to control heat and electricity use, or with Linux 3.11/3.12 set the boot parameter radeon.dpm=1 . Next, dump default Mesa, you can keep the 13.10 version of Xorg, it's the good one right now.
      The Oibaf PPA has moved onto Mesa 10.2, wich is buggy and disabled hyper-z by default as a result, You can try it, switch to the just or about to be released Mesa 10.1 if enabling hyper-z locks up your games. DO NOT use Ubuntu Trusty's new xserver 1.15, it's not ready until a severe performance regression is fixed, as I am sure it will be before release.

Be sure to install libtxc-dxtn0, I don't know if Ubuntu yet installs it yet by default, It is an open-source,patent workaround version of the patent-busting but otherwise FOSS libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 library. Use one or the other, they enable 3d texture compression.

With all of this, expect to run at 80% of fglrx in many loads, even beat it in a few according to recent Phoronix benchmark tests.
      Just tested it last night, no more hyper-z issues in Scorched3d. Add this code to ~/.profile to enable hyper-z with Mesa 10.2:

export R600_HYPERZ=1

Create the file if it does not exist

Comment

Always do an internet search before buying cutting-edge graphics hardware for Linux. Read the driver release notes to ensure that exact card is supported, and that its supported on your distro & version. Also search to validate that others have successfully run the same setup, as they may have tips and tricks to make it work better, or identify flaws.

Having used both AMD and NV cards under Linux, I echo the sentiments of others that NV cards are much much easier to get working. NV has really done a good job with the installation of their closed-source drivers, so that it's an easy painless processes without a lot of fiddling. NV has also put a lot of effort in maintaining feature parity between Linux, Mac, and Windows, so none is treated as a "redheaded stepchild".

AMD's fglrx driver is a bit more cumbersome to use, requires more configuration and fiddling around, and I don't think it has feature parity with the Windows version of the driver. AMD does get major kudos however, for releasing the information on their older cards to the open source community, so that the open source "radeon" driver is way way ahead of the open source "nouveau" nvidia driver.

To make a long story short, if you want latest fastest graphics for 3D and games, buy nvidia. If an older low power card is Ok, like for a server, HTPC, or general desktop use, go AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
          I would only try the supported os mentionned here:
          http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ta-driver.aspx

Make sure to install all dependencies etc. Although I'm a happy Nvidia user I cannot imagine AMD to be that bad.-
          you and others should read his post. he did try some of those os AND did try the FOSS driver.

he is asking for CROSS FIRE - that is why it is not working.

Is SLI working for NVIDIA on linux? Just curious...

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            you and others should read his post. he did try some of those os AND did try the FOSS driver.

he is asking for CROSS FIRE - that is why it is not working.

Is SLI working for NVIDIA on linux? Just curious...
            Yep! With the binary driver, SLI works. Here is a phoronix benchmark from 2007(!) comparing SLI under linux and windows [Link](http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=860&num=1)
            Last edited by xtachx; 12 March 2014, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xtachx View Post
              Yep! With the binary driver, SLI works. Here is a phoronix benchmark from 2007(!) comparing SLI under linux and windows [Link](http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=860&num=1)
              I'd like to see more recent benchmarks, honestly. More recent reports haven't indicated much of a benefit of SLI but perphaps they are configuring it incorrectly.

Comment

Working...
              X