Radeon Memory Boost: Up To 50%+ Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    I wished X-Plane would start with FOSS drivers. This is the only reason i have to use catalyst...
    Why doesn't it work? The wesite just says "When running X-Plane on Linux, please note that you must install the proprietary Nvidia or AMD drivers. X-Plane will not run using Gallium or Mesa open-source drivers."
    But doesn't say why

Comment

If I had to guess.... Open GL 4.x?

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
        Why doesn't it work? The wesite just says "When running X-Plane on Linux, please note that you must install the proprietary Nvidia or AMD drivers. X-Plane will not run using Gallium or Mesa open-source drivers."
        But doesn't say why
        While not extremely fast, it does work for me with nouveau (NVA0)

Comment

Which cards does this affect? Is the opensource AMD driver close to being on par with the binary blob yet?

I don't use AMD, so it seems confusing to an outsider.

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
            But doesn't say why
            When I tested, I encountered two problem:

1st : It fail with an error trowed by x-plane. don't remember exactly what it say it's because of one shader being put two time (the way mesa and prop drivers squish all shaders.. To fix it, you can remove the *shadow* (I don't remeber wich one exactly) from one of the common shader file. So the shader will be sent one time as espected.

=== it finish to load... I ear some engine sound... and....

2nd : LLVM run out of registers vomit from the console... Note that In that time I was getting the same error with Morrowind and EVE Online with high shaders setting. With current git, Morrowind work perfect and EVE still crash with high shaders settings but not with that error... SO... Maybe X-Plane will work with latest git Mesa & git LLVM if you fix the shaders file first, if the llvm issue was the same issue that the one preventing morrowind from working.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
              Marek is fkn genius ! this man is awesome !
              Seconded! THE MEASURE PASSES!!!

Comment

Can we stop talking about Marek as some Open Source contributor for AMD when he works for AMD in their Open Source Lab?

Good gawd it's just bad journalism. All these contributions by AMD employees are authorized by AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                  Which cards does this affect? Is the opensource AMD driver close to being on par with the binary blob yet?

I don't use AMD, so it seems confusing to an outsider.
                  This was discussed in page 2 of this very thread.

Comment

If your GPU ain't broke don't trash it

Originally posted by bockscar View Post
                    The most recent r300 chip is almost 10 years old now. Might be time for an upgrade.
                    If it still does the job you want it to do, no reason to spend money and generate additional waste for extra FPS that will be nothing but a benchmark.
                    If it does NOT do the job you need it to do-or if these needs have changed, that's another story. It's good to see older chips supported, lots of us can't
                    afford to be constantly trashing still-good hardware we got new or near-new. My R600g/Evergreen cards are getting "old" but they work better than
                    ever due to rapid open source driver improvements. If future drivers regress I will pin the drivers, not scrap the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
                      Linux kernel 3.13.5 is available in Arch stable repositories. It's also available for Gentoo, marked as unstable ofcourse.
                      I'm aware of that, I'm waiting for stabilisation. As mentioned, it works fine with the blob now, so no reason to jump to unstable land just for that.

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                      If it still does the job you want it to do, no reason to spend money and generate additional waste for extra FPS that will be nothing but a benchmark.
                      If it does NOT do the job you need it to do-or if these needs have changed, that's another story. It's good to see older chips supported, lots of us can't
                      afford to be constantly trashing still-good hardware we got new or near-new. My R600g/Evergreen cards are getting "old" but they work better than
                      ever due to rapid open source driver improvements. If future drivers regress I will pin the drivers, not scrap the cards.
                      Well, that depends. Newer hardware is often more power efficient, so upgrading can both boost performance and cut down spending (plus you can then sell your old hardware). Or, alternatively, make use of your old hardware in some fashion (like assemble an HTPC ? I did exactly that).

Comment

Working...
                      X