Radeon VRAM Optimizations Coming, But Help Is Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    I've pushed a stats7 branch, rebased to work with the radeonsi naming changes, and added a 32-bit fix for LFS (2g file limit). Can any SI user test?

How big FPS jumps does it cause for you? A variance within 5% would be well acceptable, but 20% wouldn't.
    It highly depends on what I'm doing: uvd decoding is not skipping any frames, opengl games like wolfenstein:et seem to be running fine with it, but modern games, where the gpu is already too weak, downclocking a turion zm-86 to 600 mhz on both cores is killing it . do you have recommendations for testing applications?

Comment

Well, any game you like will do; I don't have any ET samples yet, for one.

Comment

Finally got my 6850 system rebuilt and got the stats7 branch compiled working, and produced a test glxgears bostats file via ssh... When I get home from work tonight, I can start producing stats files from all of the steam games that I installed last night.

Comment

Maybe other people find this helpful:

Choose any directory you like for $BUILDDIR and git clone the repository to $BUILDDIR/mesa_stats/ and $BUILDDIR/mesa_stats32/

Then in $BUILDDIR/mesa_stats/ do ./autogen.sh and configure with:

./configure --with-egl-platforms=x11,drm --enable-shared-glapi --with-dri-drivers= --with-gallium-drivers=radeonsi --enable-glx-tls --enable-egl --enable-gallium-egl --enable-gallium-llvm --enable-osmesa --enable-texture-float --enable-gbm --enable-gallium-gbm --with-llvm-shared-libs --enable-openvg --disable-dri3

Of course, change --with-gallium-drivers=radeonsi to --with-gallium-drivers=r600g if applicable. Then simply "make -j8" or so to build

Then, if you have a 64 bit system and 32 bit cross compile libraries etc. installed, go to $BUILDDIR/mesa_stats32/, ./autogen.sh and ./configure with:

CC="gcc -m32" CXX="g++ -m32" PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/lib32/pkgconfig" LLVM_CONFIG=/usr/bin/llvm-config32 ./configure --with-egl-platforms=x11,drm --enable-shared-glapi --with-dri-drivers= --with-gallium-drivers=radeonsi --enable-glx-tls --enable-egl --enable-gallium-egl --enable-gallium-llvm --enable-osmesa --enable-texture-float --enable-gbm --enable-gallium-gbm --with-llvm-shared-libs --enable-openvg --disable-dri3 --libdir=/usr/lib32 --enable-32-bit

Maybe llvm-config32 is different for you, or pkgconfig path, etc., then again build with "make".

Then, choose a specific shell and export:

export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=$BUILDDIR/mesa_stats/lib/gallium:$BUILDDIR/mesa_stats32/lib32/gallium LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$BUILDDIR/mesa_stats32/lib32/egl:$BUILDDIR/mesa_stats32/lib32/gallium:$BUILDDIR/mesa_stats32/lib32:$BUILDDIR/mesa_stats/lib/egl/:$BUILDDIR/mesa_stats/lib/gallium/:$BUILDDIR/mesa_stats/lib/ R600_DEBUG=bostats DRI_PRIME=1 LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose GALLIUM_HUD=fps

(Maybe not DRI_PRIME=1, if you don't have hybrid graphics, LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose is helpful to see if it opens the correct driver, GALLIUM_HUD=fps is just nice to use)

And in that shell you can start your 3d programs and it will use this mesa over the one installed on the system.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Well, any game you like will do; I don't have any ET samples yet, for one.
            Deal,
            I'll give it a try next weekend (wolfet and doom3, the vacuum cleaner will help.), i'm currently on a business trip and not in the mood for installing games on a pc I need.
            Can contributors read your thesis when you 're done ?

Comment

Absolutely, I'll ping Michael with the finished PDF when it's done. But it's all public anyway, you can watch everything happen live:
              https://github.com/clbr/hotbos (code)
              https://github.com/clbr/jamkthesis (writing)
              Contribute to clbr/mesa development by creating an account on GitHub.

Possibly some other repos later (for the kernel and libdrm parts).

Comment

Alright, first batch of traces from stuff that I could get to run:
                Xonotic - Ultimate (as run by PTS on a 6850):

And a 7z archive of the rest:

Contains: Bastion, TF2, Trine 2, Lugaru HD, Awesomenauts, Smoking Guns, Nexuiz, OpenArena, World of Padman, Tremulous, Urban Terror.

Where possible, I've captured at the monitor's native resolution (1680x1050).

I tried to get HL2, Serious Sam 3, and Dota2 working, but none of those would start on r600g on that machine (2.5GB RAM on a single-core Athlon64). If desired I can probably capture a bit of gameplay in EVE Online via Wine. I haven't tried to get Skyrim/Oblivion/Dragon Age working yet, but I can try if needed.

The capture card was a Radeon HD 6850 1GB and the OS was Ubuntu 13.10 w/ xorg-edgers and then your mesa layered on top... You probably don't need to know this much detail, but I remember how picky my thesis adviser was a few years ago about data sources

I attempted to get XPlane and some workstation apps from PTS going, but some of those seem like the test profiles could use some attention.

Comment

Thanks a lot! Yes, EVE would be interesting to have.

Comment

Does playing one particular game over and over and providing stats for that add value?

Comment

Originally posted by matyas View Post
                      Does playing one particular game over and over and providing stats for that add value?
                      Yes, if the plays differ (different level, different enemies, etc).

Comment

Working...
                      X