Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed: tearing with radeon driver

Hi all,

I need help with tearing on the open source radeon driver. I have finally switched on my AMD GPU after upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10 (which uses Linux 3.11) and setting radeon.dpm=1, but I have tearing when I run Steam games that I couldn't fix after spending hours Googling for a solution. The laptop has a dual gpu, an Intel HD 3000 (Core i7 quad core) and the Radeon HD 6750m, and I'm running the radeon gpu using DRI_PRIME. I tried setting vblank_mode=1 but that didn't have any effect. Some observations:
    * Setting vsync in any Steam game (Half Life 2, Trine 2 for example) has no effect.
    * On Windows vsync works fine. vsync also seem to be working fine on Linux using the Intel GPU.
    * Running glxgears using the Intel GPU caps at 60fps which indicates vsync is in effect. With AMD the framerate jumps through the roof for glxgears, so vsync is not working there. However, despite that, I couldn't notice any tearing with glxgears (which is running in window mode). Does this mean the compositor (Gnome Shell) is doing the vsync here?
    * I couldn't run the games in Window mode using DRI_PRIME=1, it gave me a black Window. I could hear the game's music so the game didn't hang, only the image is not being copied to the window.

I'm running this under Gnome Shell and I'm running this on an external monitor (through an HDMI cable) with the internal monitor turned off. I had tearing in Gnome Shell using the Intel GPU which I solved by adding the following to /etc/environment:
    CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
    CLUTTER_VBLANK=True

Any suggestions I can try? Does vsync work the same way through DRI_PRIME as it does with running everything on the AMD gpu?

Vsync doesn't work with prime yet.

Comment

I see. Thanks for letting me know. At least now I know it's nothing related to my setup. Any idea if/when support for that will be coming?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        I see. Thanks for letting me know. At least now I know it's nothing related to my setup. Any idea if/when support for that will be coming?
        This will probably be fixed with DRI3 Prime support.
        This works with Wayland Prime support, but it is not merged yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
          This will probably be fixed with DRI3 Prime support.
          This works with Wayland Prime support, but it is not merged yet.
          Great news, thanks. Can't wait for Wayland

Comment

Working...
          X