X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by Kostas View Post
    Is there any webpage tracking Radeon's progress on the post-HD6000 GPUs?
    For rough approximation theres always http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/

and http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumCompute/
    not to mention http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt and http://wiki.x.org/wiki/GalliumStatus

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I wonder what's up with the HD 6950.

Pretty awesome results overall.
    Amount of testing and optimization done for the VLIW4 based GPUs. The only GPUs that used VLIW4 where the HD6900 series, the VLIW5 based hardware was still in use in the low end R7 250 and under series and in the Richland APUs.

Everything now is moving to GCN based GPUs used in the middle end and up HD7000 series.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    The issue doesn't seem to show up in many of the more complicated shader tests - such as Furmark - while being huge in a simple glxgears like test (Triangle) and the less advanced Q3 engine tests. So I'm not sure it's really a matter of optimizing the actual shaders into the compute units, which i would think would tend to give the opposite results. Although who knows, maybe something simple is just spilling 1 extra instruction over the limits and doubling the compute units it takes from 1 to 2.
    Furmark used to be a bit of a special case, since the code was written to load the shader cores as heavily as possible (ie make it easy for the driver pack work into the VLIW cores efficiently). Not sure if that is still the case today.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    So how exactly are you freer than let's say in the Microsoft business model if everything is done by corporations? You would say that you can fork anytime, but can you actually do that? Can you take a 100 million LOC and jump right in writing code? If the code gets written by a big company, even if it's open source, you still get to do what they tell you since you don't have any manpower. It's just Microsoft with another name.
    You can pay somebody to fix a bug, and in fact, this is often done. Especially after a product is EOL-ed and you still depend on it.

Now go troll somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by KuriKai View Post
    I have the 6870. Using the 3.12 rc kernel. I would also like to add something that benchmarks don't show you, is how the catalyst driver also makes it much better to alt/tab and switch virtual desktop while playing games. Wine games now don't crash when I switch desktop. Dota2/l4d2/tf2 don't freeze while switching virtual desktop.
    Tf2 doesn't have map rendering corruption on the open source drivers.
    I'm getting constant 60fps on the valve games.

The open source drivers just give a much better experience.
    The is no way in hell I'm going back to the closed source ones.

Good job AMD and the guys coding the open source driver.
    This issue might be related to your desktop environment or specific hardware... At least on my 7850 with radeonsi in gnome-shell, I can switch workspaces between Eve (running fullscreen in Wine) and another workspace without any issues. So there's hope...

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    Originally posted by markg85 View Post
    I think the last test (GpuTest v0.5.0)
    0.6, actually

Leave a comment:

• dffx
    replied
    Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Show me where?!? All I read are complaints about the RadeonSI and the 'major' distros don't have it supported or installed via default.
    They don't, not by default. I used the mesa-git repo in Arch Linux to keep up to date (easier than rebuilding the AUR packages daily): http://pkgbuild.com/~lcarlier/mesa-git/

This repo pretty much has everything that's needed for the stack: ati-dri, xf86-video-ati, llvm 3.4, etc etc.

Overall radeonsi seems to work pretty well. Reading phoronix might engender a sense of doom 'n' gloom when it comes to radeonsi, but I think the latest snapshots paint a much better picture.

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    Originally posted by dffx View Post
    I feel like that's AMD's end-game for Linux. They understand that this is the path to a healthier product on the open-source platform. Just look at Catalyst -- there are *so many* loose ends -- unfinished features, broken options, plenty of stuff that just flat out *doesn't work* -- and from what I can tell there's no desire to actually fix those things. As long as they keep the core binary module working properly, they'll have something to fall back on while they wait for the open source product to mature. RadeonSI has taken 2 years to mature to what it is today -- Sea Islands is already way ahead of the curve.
    Show me where?!? All I read are complaints about the RadeonSI and the 'major' distros don't have it supported or installed via default.

Also, the joke that AMD supports Linux is still going on?!? LOL! I agree with what you post here - "Just look at Catalyst -- there are *so many* loose ends -- unfinished features, broken options, plenty of stuff that just flat out *doesn't work* -- and from what I can tell there's no desire to actually fix those things." Does anyone here besides the ''AMD' employees' (FOSS ppl) disagree with that?!? No. So, that is the driver segment that actually gets full funding from AMD? But, it's constantly broken by design.

I only buy used cards. I don't want to reward AMD OR Nvidia. I'm looking at buying a used AMD card to try since my Nvidia card is really ancient but I am anticipating being disappointed. I don't know what the big fuss is with gaming on Linux. UVD and 2D performance rarely is included in the benchmarks. Doesn't anyone use their computer to watch videos or stream video in Linux?!?

Leave a comment:

• dffx
    replied
    Originally posted by mirza View Post
    Add few missing bits from Catalyst (OpenCL and whatnot) and we can happily forget that binary cancer called Catalyst ever existed.
    I feel like that's AMD's end-game for Linux. They understand that this is the path to a healthier product on the open-source platform. Just look at Catalyst -- there are *so many* loose ends -- unfinished features, broken options, plenty of stuff that just flat out *doesn't work* -- and from what I can tell there's no desire to actually fix those things. As long as they keep the core binary module working properly, they'll have something to fall back on while they wait for the open source product to mature. RadeonSI has taken 2 years to mature to what it is today -- Sea Islands is already way ahead of the curve.

Leave a comment:

• mirza
    replied
    Great news

Seems like Marek finished his school already? :-)

Anyway, AMD got a new loyal customer: Me. Add few missing bits from Catalyst (OpenCL and whatnot) and we can happily forget that binary cancer called Catalyst ever existed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X