Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any World of Warcraft / Wine successes with 8.42.3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redeeman
    replied
    And here i thought the new drivers would actually work... guess it was naive to think ati/amd could actually make working drivers..

oh well, no ati/amd for my next computer which ill purchase soon

Leave a comment:

• vultaire
    replied
    Can't speak for WoW personally; but I seem to have other issues with the 7.11 Catalyst driver. On my ATI Xpress 1100 system I play another game (StepMania) as well, and once I upgraded to the 7.11, I was getting constant hard-locks of the system when running that. Downgraded to the 8.42 driver again, and the problem went away. Didn't try WoW since the problems with SM were pretty well a deal-killer. YMMV of course; maybe you'll get lucky. =)

Leave a comment:

• Ren H?ek
    replied
    Does 7.11 do it?

I just wanted to ask for some experience with the 7.11 (8.43) driver.
    With the 8.42 I had to switch of shaders to get WoW running. But this made the game really slow.
    Does 7.11 solve this problem? What about the frame rate? Any increase?

I hope someone has tried the new one out yet, so I won't have to install it and than reinstall 8.40 again ...

Leave a comment:

• vultaire
    replied
    WoW runs for me. The only strange thing I have is the fact that XFCE ( or XFWM ) appears to block 3d rendering for WoW. Whenever I use XFCE I only get 1-4fps, but when I use gnome for instance my fps leaps up to about 40.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?
    I'm just gonna throw this tidbit out there. I haven't read everything here that you've posted, so if I missed an important detail, sorry.

XFCE uses a compositing window manager. I know from experience using Compiz on my Nvidia system that opengl frame rates seem to take a considerable dive while such a WM is enabled. If you have compositing on and XFCE is using it, that -could- be why you're experiencing slowdown. Since you say Gnome works fine, I'm betting that's the problem.

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• MagicTempest
    replied
    Where can I find the agpmode? My xorg.0.log says the following:

Code:
    root@meradin:/home/tempest# less /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep agp
    (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Mode=0x1f00421b bridge: 0x10de/0x00e1
    (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v1/2 disable mask 0x00000000
    (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v3 disable mask   0x00000000
    (II) fglrx(0): [agp] enabling AGP with mode=0x1f00431a
    (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Remapping MC AGP space (new MCAGPBase = 0xc0000000)
    (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP protocol is enabled for graphics board. (cmd=0x1f004312)
    (II) fglrx(0): [agp] graphics chipset has AGP v3.0 (native mode)
    Already found something

Code:
    [   85.575272] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode
    WoW runs for me. The only strange thing I have is the fact that XFCE ( or XFWM ) appears to block 3d rendering for WoW. Whenever I use XFCE I only get 1-4fps, but when I use gnome for instance my fps leaps up to about 40.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

Leave a comment:

• Malikith
    replied
    Originally posted by Alistair View Post
    Chris!
    are you telling me the X1650Pro AGP is now running with AGPMode=8???
    PPLlllleeeeaase!
    Well you know my old story, it was the same as yours, and mine runs at 8x now instead of 0x with 8.42. So yours SHOULD run at 8x now too.

Leave a comment:

• Alistair
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisr View Post
    8.42.3 is the first driver that has worked at all on my FireGL chipset, and I've had to hack it to believe it's a X1700 to get this far! So I cannot possibly say whether your situation would improve, but mine is infinitely better .

Chris!
    are you telling me the X1650Pro AGP is now running with AGPMode=8???
    PPLlllleeeeaase!

Leave a comment:

• wylfing
    replied
    Originally posted by cjr2k3 View Post
    Does the things described here correct the problem? Or should I stay with 8.37? (or should I move to 8.40?)

I had great faith in this latest release from ATI but since I only need my graphic card for WoW, no use to change if I can't play.
    All I can say is that WoW runs (that is, after disabling vertex shaders). However, the FPS is noticably worse than 8.40, which wasn't great to begin with, and the minimap doesn't display inside major cities. Stick with 8.40 until they get things sorted out.

Edit: Oops, forgot to say that I use wine. Card is Radeon Mobility X300.

Leave a comment:

• eoceoc
    replied
    Wine not run for me; Cedega works however the FPS is low. I got about 10-20 FPS in town, with a Q6600 + 2900XT!!! I guess software renderer could even be faster

Leave a comment:

• Merritt
    replied
    SET M2UseShaders "0"

fixed the missing textures problem I was having and for the first time I can run WoW in opengl mode... however when I started the game I was running 60 - 90 FPS... but after 5 or 10 mins it dropped to 4 fps... anyone know how this can be improved? (Yes I've followed the guide for Ubuntu, with the registry settings and all that to improve performance).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X