Radeon DPM Power Management Gets Fixed Up Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$
    And it's still fun to see the Linux community marvel at the advances of the Linux kernel completely ignoring the fact that the same features exist in Windows for more than 10 years.
    [..]
    And even after it is finally brought to Linux, it still doesn't work. Windows > Linux anytime anywhere!
    So what's your argument here? It wasn't there and because of that no one should ever try to add it to linux? Because it might not work out of the box for everyone in the first iteration?

Comment

I'm glad that you can block individual users in the settings.

Comment

But of course Linux is superior. It runs on supercomputers so it must be!

And even after it is finally brought to Linux, it still doesn't work. Windows > Linux anytime anywhere!
        Except supercomputers :P

The argument is that it's too little too late. And Linux keeps being 10 years behind Windows.
        That's a conservative estimate. SOME would say that we are at least 70, 80 years behind windows.

Comment

Good to know...

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          Hi, you must be new here. This is Phoronix, where no article has any relevant external links, only links that link back to Phoronix, just as nature intended.
          Good to know that I'm not the only one that noticed that

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            In case of my HTPC, there is no need for UVD at all. Its processor is powerful enough to handle it without acceleration. It does need DPM so it would run cooler, though.
            A HTPC doesn't need an powerful CPU. A E-450 or one of the C-Series is more as enough for an Media PC but the Decoding on the GPU is important.

Comment

And it's still fun to see the Linux community marvel at the advances of the Linux kernel completely ignoring the fact that the same features exist in Windows for more than 10 years.
              DPM on radeon exists in fglrx since ages, too. But where's that open source driver with DPM for Windows you must be talking about?

Comment

The only sane thing to do is use Windows and check out Linux every 10 years or so.
                Yet you're on phoronix checking it out on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  That is funny, because the same logic could be used to say "mplayer's VDPAU works just fine, so XBMC must be broken".
                  I know mplayer works, but mplayer is not HTPC application just a player and I was looking for HTPC hence my question. One of vpdau features missing in radeon atm or at least was missing month ago is interop and that is reason XBMC does not work properly. So if you know HTPC program that works using something else that mentioned feature please let me know

Comment

"Nobody cares... only the..."

Now we know why you're so angry.
                    Have you ever tried if the open source driver works for you or just assumend it wouldn't, because it was created by those "Stallman fanbois"?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                      A HTPC doesn't need an powerful CPU. A E-450 or one of the C-Series is more as enough for an Media PC but the Decoding on the GPU is important.
                      Doesn't need one, yes, but it doesn't hurt to have one. In my case I just used my old desktop CPU.

Comment

Working...
                      X