Thank you amd, now I can't use Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brosis View Post
    Since I built a lot of Intel-based machines and use Intel notebook myself, I think I have an idea - it works flawlessly.
    Have you tried playing half life deathmatch for a few hours? Every few hours I seem to get a hard lockup on ivy bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      FYI, you look like you're 12 when you use baseless name-calling like that. It looks just as intelligent as saying Linsux or Open Sores and has about the same effect - converting 0 people to your way of thinking but causing >0 people to instantly write you and your opinions off as irrelevant. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been guilty of such things in the past, but then I won't claim I couldn't have been better.

<snip>

"Just Works" is super important when you don't define your life by being chained to a computer and instead define it by how often you're nowhere near home, hanging out with good people and doing fun things. Computers are here to be tools and make our lives easier, but too often software (especially in the Linux world) seems to require more work and time than if you just didn't own a computer at all.
      Why, oh why? I wholeheartedly agreed to your first sentence, because I hate discussions drifting into personal remarks. But then, you basically do the same thing, pretending that you can't have a life when you don't have something that "just works". This is basically the exact same thing as "well, if you don't see it the way I do you must have no life, there's no other way because I can't imagine it being different." It's in no way a logical argument but more of an argumentum ad hominem, aiming at the person, not the discussed topic.

About computers requiring time:
      That's just how computers work and it's not only limited to Linux or Windows but a direct consequence of how our current systems work: you can use operating system X, version Y with software Z, version A, on hardware B from vendor C in revision D, using drivers E with bios version F, etc... it goes on and on and on. Smartphones/Tablets do have this issues, too but to a much lower degree as their system is more predictable with a few variables less. Computers didn't start for the masses but then they became more and more wildly used because despite their shortcomings they saved us time. Now we're at a point were other devices can do the same (for the average user) without requiring that much maintenance. If your smartphone/tablet breaks you buy a new one and/or wait for a software update.
      I'll always be using a computer but following your logic we're ALL without a life as computers will in the absolute majority of cases require more maintenance than a smartphone/tablet. We do it because computers enable us to do some things we can't do with other platforms but the average user probably does not need those features. So, personally I expect that typical desktop computers won't be there in the average household anymore, when the alternatives have matured even more.

Then again, personally I believe in: the right tool for the right job. So I don't care if I'm using AMD, Intel, nVidia, Microsoft, Linux, Apple, Samsung or whatever comes to your mind.
      Last edited by Alderon; 13 August 2013, 06:23 AM.

Comment

I had a strange reboot after 40 hours of use...:/

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
          I had a strange reboot after 40 hours of use...:/
          I'd call it a hardware problem for sure at this point. You need to find out what is the cause of this instability. Seriously consider stress testing for the next while. Start off with memtest and let it run at least a day. Then prime95 at least a day. Then furmark at least a day. And the whole while you need to be monitoring temps and voltages...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I'd call it a hardware problem for sure at this point. You need to find out what is the cause of this instability. Seriously consider stress testing for the next while. Start off with memtest and let it run at least a day. Then prime95 at least a day. Then furmark at least a day. And the whole while you need to be monitoring temps and voltages...
            But the last week I had windows working 24/7...and no problems...., playing tomb raider , crysis, call of duty..and no reboots, they only appear if I use opensource driver.

Comment

Did you try changing the behavior of your system to not automatically restart on kernel panics?

Linux, Torvalds, Linus, Linux downloads, Linux tutorials, Operating System, UNIX, web, www, software, help, information, resources, manual, documentation , LDP, FAQ, miniHOWTO, howto, linux howtos, Redhat, Ubuntu, Debian, Opensuse, Open source, computer security, application, kernel

With a stack trace it should be quite easy to see what's causing it.

Or check your kernel log if there's a stack trace (/var/log or journalctl).

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                Did you try changing the behavior of your system to not automatically restart on kernel panics?

Linux, Torvalds, Linus, Linux downloads, Linux tutorials, Operating System, UNIX, web, www, software, help, information, resources, manual, documentation , LDP, FAQ, miniHOWTO, howto, linux howtos, Redhat, Ubuntu, Debian, Opensuse, Open source, computer security, application, kernel

With a stack trace it should be quite easy to see what's causing it.

Or check your kernel log if there's a stack trace (/var/log or journalctl).
                Ok I set it..., now I need to wait.

Anyone know how can I see the logs for the kernel panics?

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                  Ok I set it..., now I need to wait.

Anyone know how can I see the logs for the kernel panics?
                  /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages, /var/log/kern.log - if they get to be stored. Also, if the kernel really panics, you most likely will have an unresponsive system with keyboard LEDs blinking.

PS There is a lesser kind of "panic" called kernel oops - which can be set at kernel compile time to be treated as a panic. But oops usually leaves the system running, maybe some functionality is lost and you get tons of dmesg debugging errors (if it doesnt get treated as panic and which triggers a reboot in turn...).
                  Also, there is a system hard freeze - the system freezes and there arent any life signs anywhere, magic keys dont work etc. I get these recently with the OSS driver when im not playing games...
                  Last edited by gradinaruvasile; 13 August 2013, 04:09 PM.

Comment

If it works fine on Windows, as is being said, it cannot be a hardware issue. It has to be drivers or similar.

Comment

Did you try my suggestions in comment 16? You might also try setting the env var R600_DEBUG=nodma in /etc/environment.

Better yet, you could file a bug (https://bugs.freedesktop.org) and attach your xorg log and dmesg output and we could track everything in one place rather than haphazard suggestions here.
                      Last edited by agd5f; 13 August 2013, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X