Thank you amd, now I can't use Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
    But all they provide are binary blobs. No thanks. Again "Fuck You NVIDIA", you can take your shit back.
    And yet, their binary blobs actually work. I'll take working code over non-working FOSS nonsense anyday.
    I don't use Linux because of some free software crusade, I use it because it's the best tool for the job. And none of the opensource graphics drivers are the best tool for anything besides failure.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      And yet, their binary blobs actually work. I'll take working code over non-working FOSS nonsense anyday.
      I don't use Linux because of some free software crusade, I use it because it's the best tool for the job. And none of the opensource graphics drivers are the best tool for anything besides failure.
      I'm not willing to put a binary blob into my 99% open source OS. Too many issues.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
        I'm not willing to put a binary blob into my 99% open source OS. Too many issues.
        Yeah, you might have issues like random restarts or freezes.
        wait.

Comment

How did this end?

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
          I tried...the problem persist, 0 errors on windows, reboots on linux with opensource drivers....
          ATI cards do have a history of getting very hot with open source drivers even when just ideling. So hot you can feel the differance. I use the proprietary drivers just because of this.

Did you ever try proprietary drivers? I could not see that mentioned (but I might have missed it) You say Windows worked and that was with proprietary drivers I am sure.

Or try run it with case open and a really strong fan blowing on it and see if the problem gets less frequent.

It could also be that the PSU is stuggling with the increased power demand. Did you try with a more powerfull PSU to rule this one out?

Comment

I guess you mean working blob, not working code? Because you get no code and also no choice due to proprietary approach. So you are pretty much stuck within one driver to one card working on one OS. But once FSF adds some freedom, worms like you surface and start yelling about nonsense, crusades and failures. Man, why am I even bother replying to you, egoist and narcissist who enjoys derailing the thread against forum rules using bug as a basement. Yes, free driver works on Intel and AMD and yes, your biased opinion interests no one. If you want to talk about nvidia - there is separate thread: here.

Comment

Yeah, you might have issues like random restarts or freezes.
              wait.
              Wait, what?

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                In general, "Three" years is the window for good support.
                I've used Linux for almost 20 years.

As you probably have read through the excellant performance evaluations here at Phoronix, new hardware hardly fairs that well.
                * Intel Haswell
                * Retna Displays
                * APU's from AMD
                * EFI / Secure Boot

I have an E450 and earlier this year we got a decent driver from AMD. I'm using the beta at the moment with a hack to remove the "Beta" watermark.
                It has good performance, but that system is almost 2 years old.

I'm not trying to discourage you but your millage may fare better in a few more months.

It's dishearting that Windows 8 will operate great on the APU's but a copy of Distribution X runs miserably.
                Man I don't get it...

I bought an AMD A3870k, overclocked the video and this APU was pretty damn solid. Maybe I was the lucky one.

I now run a 7850 and it has been really solid as well.

Then again, I don't use Microsucks software to contrast against, I'm sure the Win drivers are more polished.. not sure I care though

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                  I'm sure the Win drivers are more polished.. not sure I care though
                  FYI they aren't.
                  AMD drivers are a nightmare everywhere.

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                  driver works on Intel
                  Hardly. You have no idea how incompatible Intel is with OpenGL. They "support"(barely, half of it is broken) openGL 3.1 on Linux which was released over 4 years ago. Intel is on the OpenGL ARB, just like Nvidia and AMD. They have 4.x hardware barely running 3.x, there's no excuse. Nearly every graphics bug I have to fix is directly related to working around an Intel issue one way or another.

You'd think people who pay money for hardware that barely works would be upset rather than laying down and taking it hoping it won't be shit in 10 years.
                  Last edited by peppercats; 11 August 2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xehpuk View Post
                    ATI cards do have a history of getting very hot with open source drivers even when just ideling. So hot you can feel the differance. I use the proprietary drivers just because of this.

Did you ever try proprietary drivers? I could not see that mentioned (but I might have missed it) You say Windows worked and that was with proprietary drivers I am sure.

Or try run it with case open and a really strong fan blowing on it and see if the problem gets less frequent.

It could also be that the PSU is stuggling with the increased power demand. Did you try with a more powerfull PSU to rule this one out?
                    LOL, but my psu is 600 W , buy a psu more powerful for an apu ? relol!

with propietary drivers no reboots, but 2d performance is awful, horrible..., gnome shell mega slow, kde with few errors on the effects etc etc...
                    Propietary drivers is not an option for me( xv run slow too..).

Comment

I didn't have any trouble with the ATI/AMD drivers for the last 2 years on Windows.
                      And since 13.1 I'm quite happy with them on Linux, too.

Then again, the FOSS drivers might take over, in some parts they're already better, in others they're severely lacking.

Comment

Working...
                      X