Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD HD 7000 "RadeonSI" Runs Well With Fedora 19

Phoronix: AMD HD 7000 "RadeonSI" Runs Well With Fedora 19

Fedora 19 is the first tier-one Linux distribution shipping with decent "out of the box" support for the AMD Radeon HD 7000 "Southern Islands" series graphics cards with the out-of-the-box Linux graphics driver and Gallium3D-based acceleration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I already use it on Arch

I already use radeon 7770 with OSS driver for a while. And yes, it is almost usable. But it is still not for daily usage. For example it is almost impossible to use opera browser or libreoffice (charts and so on). And very often my desktop completely freeze for a few seconds.

I try some steam games too, however none of it works. But Team Fortress 2 almost start .

Comment

I'll drink to that!!

Comment

I already use the radeonsi on a fully updated Fedora 18 box, which basically has all the base components of Fedora 19.
        Still a few bugs to iron out, lke the occasional corruption when draing new windows, but never had stability issues.
        All this on an HD7850 card.

Comment

What is a tier 1 linux distribution?

Archlinux by the way already had mesa built with radeonsi for some time now:

llvm 3.3 with --enable-experimental-targets=R600 is in the repositories and xf86-video-ati is compiled with glamor.

Just saying.

Comment

What's a PSA? Never heard that term, and googling it is inconclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              What's a PSA? Never heard that term, and googling it is inconclusive.
              PSA = Public Service Announcement, I think it's a term that's mostly used in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                PSA = Public Service Announcement, I think it's a term that's mostly used in the USA.
                Think 30 second TV ad by the government that explains how bad drugs are.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Think 30 second TV ad by the government that explains how bad drugs are.
                  Or how you shouldn't smother your kids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRwro-LI24
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                    What is a tier 1 linux distribution?

Archlinux by the way already had mesa built with radeonsi for some time now:

llvm 3.3 with --enable-experimental-targets=R600 is in the repositories and xf86-video-ati is compiled with glamor.

Just saying.
                    Tier 1 would be Ubuntu, SUSE, Mint, and Fedora -- distros that are targeted at "the usual" computer users and that get a good amount of news coverage
                    Tier 2 would be CentOS, Debian, Sabayon and PCLinuxOS -- distros that don't get as much news coverage for one reason or another or arent aimed at the "average person"
                    Tier 3 would be Gentoo, Arch, Slackware, LinuxFromScratch, etc -- Distros that dont have a real public image, no two systems are alike, the tinkerers, etc.

Least thats how i group them *Shrugs* others may disagree
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X