Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    There is already a thread for UVD, and Deathsimple really must feel like a broken record answering the same questions over and over again
    Thanks for the link. The short version of the answer would be "they're working on it", then

Comment

• Tested this on my HD6870 now, also always reports running in performance mode, but keeps cool and quiet, so it seems to work. If this is simply a problem with the code that reports the power profile used and not a problem with switching power profiles than the overheating issues on my laptop are sadly not fixed on my HD3200 and I still have to use Catalyst.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        Tested this on my HD6870 now, also always reports running in performance mode, but keeps cool and quiet, so it seems to work. If this is simply a problem with the code that reports the power profile used and not a problem with switching power profiles than the overheating issues on my laptop are sadly not fixed on my HD3200 and I still have to use Catalyst.
        Judging by the code there are only two power modes; performance and battery. There is also a third one called balanced, but it's not implemented yet so it reverts to performance.

Comment

• hi ag5df, i tested and my office's PCs using rv710 and rv770 seems to work fine but my Cape Verde 7770 panic and hang the whole computer to the point that even ssh doesn't work, so can you give me some tips on how to debug it?

im using latest firmware and 3.11-wip-5

many thanks for your efforts

Comment

• Looking forward to testing this on my A6 APU in Arch (seems to load the SUMO firmware, btw, though I don't know if it actually uses it). Taking forever to download the git repo on my 7KB/s (aka, 56kbps) 2G connection, though. Already +12h in and only 30%.
            Edit: Looks like the download halted somewhere midway through the night. D:
            Last edited by Nobu; 28 June 2013, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nobu View Post
              Looking forward to testing this on my A6 APU in Arch (seems to load the SUMO firmware, btw, though I don't know if it actually uses it). Taking forever to download the git repo on my 7KB/s (aka, 56kbps) 2G connection, though. Already +12h in and only 30%.
              Edit: Looks like the download halted somewhere midway through the night. D:
              Just in case you weren't already, use --depth 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by droste View Post
                Same for me (wip-4). "power_method" says "dpm", "power_dpm_state" says "performance" and never changes and I have no way to actually tell if it's changing clocks because of the missing "radeon_pm_info" in debugfs. I tested with and without compositing.
                "radeon_dpm_state" is a user parameter. You can echo "battery", "balanced", or "performance" to select the respective power class. It looks like the driver should print to dmesg whenever it switches power states.

On my RV770, all the power states are detected properly, but the current state doesn't ever (seem to) switch after initialization: relevant dmesg.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
                  "radeon_dpm_state" is a user parameter. You can echo "battery", "balanced", or "performance" to select the respective power class. It looks like the driver should print to dmesg whenever it switches power states.

On my RV770, all the power states are detected properly, but the current state doesn't ever (seem to) switch after initialization: relevant dmesg.
                  I tried echoing "balanced" to it, but it doesn't change anything (same temperature and no hint anywhere if something changes).

As far as I understand this:
                  Power state = Depends on hardware changes (e.g attaching/detaching monitors, removing power source, ...). Each of these states has different power levels.
                  Power level = Depends on workload

The only time dmesg shows 'power level' and 'power state' here is at boot time.

Soo... I'm not sure if it's working or not :-D

Comment

• Originally posted by droste View Post
                    I tried echoing "balanced" to it, but it doesn't change anything (same temperature and no hint anywhere if something changes).

As far as I understand this:
                    Power state = Depends on hardware changes (e.g attaching/detaching monitors, removing power source, ...). Each of these states has different power levels.
                    Power level = Depends on workload

The only time dmesg shows 'power level' and 'power state' here is at boot time.

Soo... I'm not sure if it's working or not :-D
                    As someone mentioned earlier, "balanced" is identical to "performance":
                    Originally posted by radeon_pm.c
                    /* balanced states don't exist at the moment */
                    if (dpm_state == POWER_STATE_TYPE_BALANCED)
                    dpm_state = POWER_STATE_TYPE_PERFORMANCE;
                    Otherwise, I have the same experience as you.

Comment

• I'm still a bit of a newb when it comes to kernels and the many versions so apologies if it's obvious and I've missed something; but how would I go getting this on my Debian Wheezy install (assuming Wheezy's userspace isn't too outdated... I'm running 3.9 kernel on it though so I assume there would be no problems).

I'm fine with compiling and patching, just need to know where to start

Comment

Working...
                      X