No announcement yet.

Will 8.42 support kernel 2.6.23?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for me 8.40 worked with 2.6.23. the only problem was installing madwifi on 2.6.23 and amd64.
    so until i won't be able to install the madwifi with the new 2.6.23 i don't think that i'll switch to it.

i hope that the issues that showed up with amd64 in the last 8.41 have been corrected, since i don't really want to do strange things to be able to install it, or i'd hate to wait for a lot of months for a new release...

Comment

I think that is what I did then. I was using cut and paste instead of directly downloading them. I will try it again by downloading them directly.

Thanks... Though it was odd that people were posting that they both worked, while others were saying they were having issues.

Comment

Though it was odd that people were posting that they both worked, while others were saying they were having issues.
        i

think that there are some differences between systems,distros and boards.
        for example it may happen that a x200m made by fujitsu and one made by toshiba on two different archs, lets say one amd turion 64x2 with amd64 and one with a centrino 1 x86 with the same distro installed may behave differently. for example my amdcc for windows could set 256mbs of videoram, while linux is limited to 128, on my gentoo x86_64 the 8.41 fails to compile due to old stdlibc++3 failures but work on a opensuse 10.3 i586.
        so as you can see it's very natural for something like this to happen. i would personally say in the patch's first line:

"this patch may apply and work or simply it may not apply or not work"
        i've seen many things like this to happen.

Comment

did not see that line in the patch....

I am upgrading to opensuse 10.3, I have other issues beyond the ATI drivers. The reason I went for the 2.6.23.1 kernel was the wireless support. But I think that 10.3 has the drivers included in it and is using the 2.6.22 kernel. Which should give me a stable system.

Comment

Working...
          X