Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon Gallium3D More Competitive With Catalyst On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Gallium3D More Competitive With Catalyst On Linux

With the ever-changing state of Linux graphics drivers -- both for the open and closed-source drivers -- new tests have been conducted to compare the OpenGL graphics performance on Linux with AMD Radeon graphics. In this article are benchmarks of nine different Radeon HD graphics cards when being tested on the very latest AMD Catalyst (13.3 Beta 3) graphics driver as well as the open-source AMD Radeon driver consisting of Mesa 9.2-devel and the yet-to-be-released Linux 3.9 kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting that the 6450 in particular has some anomalies. Anyone possible reason why?

Comment

Michael, if you tested Vadim's shader optimizer http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~vadimg/mesa/log/?h=r600-sb,
      results could have been even better!

Comment

Maybe I missed it... were the cards running dynpm, medium (default) or high frequencies?
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

It would be really great if Michael could maintain a dynamic feature table comparing all the available linux open and closed graphic drivers. Openbenchmarking does this for performance, but, as development is speeding up, it is really hard to know exactly which hardware features are supported on which driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
            It would be really great if Michael could maintain a dynamic feature table comparing all the available linux open and closed graphic drivers. Openbenchmarking does this for performance, but, as development is speeding up, it is really hard to know exactly which hardware features are supported on which driver.
            But that's what the freedesktop wiki is for.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Maybe I missed it... were the cards running dynpm, medium (default) or high frequencies?
              The default isn't Medium, it's whatever is set in the video cards BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
                I think floating point textures/GL3 was disabled, since the specs in the article only mentioned GL2. But S2TC should have been available, since i think Ubuntu ships that by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  The used frequencies are shown automatically by PTS (when debugfs is readable) in the system table, which are shown on the second page.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    I think floating point textures/GL3 was disabled, since the specs in the article only mentioned GL2. But S2TC should have been available, since i think Ubuntu ships that by default.
                    texture-float was passed when building Mesa and S2TC is present by default in Ubuntu (sure wish there was a way to automatically parse the Mesa build configuration of the resulting binaries; similar to gcc -v, so that the information could be presented...)
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X