Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon UVD Support Merged Into Mesa

Phoronix: Radeon UVD Support Merged Into Mesa

After having gone through five public code revisions, AMD has finally committed their open-source Unified Video Decoder (UVD) support for accelerated video decoding over VDPAU into the Mesa Git repository...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For anyone who wants to try to build it themselves, I believe that you need the following:

Kernel Code:
    git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux branch: drm-next-3.10-wip

Firmware:
    You'll need the appropriate ${generation}_uvd.bin file from http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/ installed in /lib/firmware/radeon (or wherever you keep your kernel firmware).

Mesa:
    Git mesa/master build with the --enable-vdpau --enable-gallium-drivers=r600 --with-dri-drivers=radeon

Note that I haven't actually built this myself yet, but those are the components that I think you'll need. In another week or two we'll have kernel 3.9 released, which means that the drm-next branch that Dave Airlie maintains should have the UVD code around then... and that will be the point that Ubuntu's kernel ppa should provide a build of this code (I run Mint + Ubuntu on my machines). If there are libdrm changes that are also required, those haven't yet been pushed... but I'm not really sure if there are any libdrm changes required.

Comment

This is very good news! I'm glad to see that AMD finally pulled it through and opened UVD up. Big pros there! Next thing for them to improve is rock solid stable power/fan management since i really don't want my fans to blow at full speed or (the dynpm option) to have a flickering screen with every frequency change.. If they manage to get that fixed then i might actually put my AMD card back in my pc (switched to nvidia recently) and start using my desktop with r600g

Comment

@Veerappan

--dri-drivers=radeon means enabling the R100 classic driver

Comment

Gotta ask this again:

I have a Radeon HD 3650 PCI-ex video card. This UVD changes addition doesn't affect me?

Also, Radeon feature matrix states that this card should support OpenGL 3.3, but I've found on AMD website it only supports up to OpenGL 3.2. Please someone clarify this to me.

Comment

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
            Gotta ask this again:

I have a Radeon HD 3650 PCI-ex video card. This UVD changes addition doesn't affect me?

Also, Radeon feature matrix states that this card should support OpenGL 3.3, but I've found on AMD website it only supports up to OpenGL 3.2. Please someone clarify this to me.
            Means AMD only supports up to OpenGL 3.2 on that hardware, but the hardware may be capable of atleast partial OpenGL 3.3 support if not full 3.3 and AMD Just said "Mmmmm....No."

IDK about your specific card and UVD support. I'm gonna guess that it has UVD1 (but thats a blind guess based on its age) which the new UVD changes dont affect / dont affect completely for xyz reason. If its UVD1+ or even UVD2 then you get affected by this.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

So, my card might be cpable of OpenGL 3.3 with open source drivers?

And, this is an UVD1 card, so no luck for me.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                @Veerappan

--dri-drivers=radeon means enabling the R100 classic driver
                Meh... That build setup has worked for me for a while now.... for some reason, I must've been under the impression that using that option enabled certain shared portions of the r600/r300/si code... But that impression was wrong.

In other news, the R100 driver builds just fine when you're also building R600g w/ the llvm back-end, glamor, and opencl

Comment

Eventually, yes, but not right now.

Not right now, but I believe that they are planning to release UVD1 support eventually too.

Comment

correct on both accounts.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X