Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Publishes Compute Support For RadeonSI

Phoronix: AMD Publishes Compute Support For RadeonSI

The AMD "RadeonSI" Gallium3D driver now has basic compute (GPGPU/OpenCL) support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMD Publishes Compute Support For RadeonSI

The AMD "RadeonSI" Gallium3D driver now has basic compute (GPGPU/OpenCL) support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyNjI
    This is big!

It's not complete yet, of course, and not useful for many apps, but OpenCL support is crazy hard, and we are getting there!

Comment

It must be all that difficult LLVM/Clang design architecture that is making the R600 back end expand rapidly so people will benefit from it and its upcoming quality OpenCL backend.

Comment

What about r600g?
        And more general question:
        Who in AMD tell FLOS gpu driver devs what to focus on? Is it self-organizing work? Or there are some strong guidelines from above (like get X for Y familly of chips..)

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          What about r600g?
          Who in AMD tell FLOS gpu driver devs what to focus on? Is it self-organizing work? Or there are some strong guidelines from above (like get X for Y familly of chips..)
          ISA of R600 chips makes supporting OpenCL completely extremely difficult.
          But SI works in a more developer-friendly fashion.
          Personally I prefer a complete SI compute support rather than two broken ones (Evergreen and SI), considered the insufficient manpower of OSS radeon team.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
            What about r600g?
            r600g has had this basic compute support for a while now. It's available in Evergreen and newer chips (Radeon 5000 series and higher). Radeon 4000-series and lower are missing some of the required hardware features, so I'm not sure what the current status is (I sold my last 4770 a while ago). Maybe the 4000-series has partial support...

Some of the developers, such as Tom Stellard who wrote these patches, are AMD employees. I'm assuming that they are told what to focus on (or they get to choose projects that their managers approve of... *shrug*). The others who aren't AMD employees get to work on whatever they want. In my case, I volunteer some of my free time working on OpenCL unit tests for clover (found in Piglit). I do it to scratch an itch, but everyone gets to benefit.

Comment

Working...
            X