Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.41.7 Display Driver Released -- The Holy Crap Edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine's an X1650 Pro AGP and X dies after the install. Yet another AMD/ATI failure.

Comment

• Can anyone help me out? I'm at it again today, trying to get this thing to work... I get this when trying to run

sudo sh ./**drivername** --buildpkg Ubuntu/feisty

Code:
      dh_compress
      dh_makeshlibs
      dh_installdeb
      LD_PRELOAD= dh_shlibdeps
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libc.so.6 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libstdc++.so.5 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libpthread.so.0 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/librt.so.1 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libdl.so.2 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libm.so.6 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libXext.so.6 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libX11.so.6 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/librt.so.1 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libdl.so.2 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libm.so.6 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libpthread.so.0 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libXext.so.6 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libX11.so.6 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libc.so.6 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libXrandr.so.2 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libXrender.so.1 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libfglrx_gamma.so.1 not found.
      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libGL.so.1 not found.
      dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: dpkg --search gave error exit status 1
      dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 256
      make: *** [binary] Error 1
      make: Leaving directory `/tmp/fglrx.jI6221'
      Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.Zp6141

Comment

• @ mjordan:

You reported earlier that you get a black screen with the new driver when load X...

It is really weird but I get this bug always with fglrx drivers and Xorg 7.2 only with one screen resolution: 1024x768!!!

I saw that your xorg.conf contains as last "mode" the 1024x768
        Try add there the mode 1280x1024 and see what happens...
        I don't own an ATI card but I take care of a friend's PC which uses an 9550 radeon and I am facing what you describe always with ATI drivers and 7.2 X.

Comment

• Now for the topic...

I am an nvidia user who finds nvidia not as good as many folks think...
          The fact that their driver can use straight Composite doesn't make it better because it has 2 great blocker bugs for alot of people. And many folks still use XGL on nvidia...

I apreciatte now AMD far more than nvidia(of course we still cannot compare features and goodies overall like SLI) not for the "mysterious" new 8.41 driver but because they gave out the cards' specs and will provide more in the future and that's what counts for me... That's effective community support(at least a very promising start) not just a forum.

Cause here we do not talk about just performance added and bugs added or not solved in the new driver, we are talking about a completely new approach at the community by a really great community "enemy" company.

AMD has really changed the way those guys think about us and was obligated to do that not only cause Linux community grows rapidly but also cause Linux was the only OS supporting 64bit arch, and I think still is.

I think the new driver was a bit overboosted here but I blame noone for that cause I can feel every ATI's user agony about the new code and driver.

But guys in my opinion AMD now starts entering the game for good and we should concentrate now at the new heart the driver has which can give such 3D boost stuff and new hope obviously!
          And if a parallel good Open driver excists both of the drivers can take advantage of the experience and development of the 2 projects.

So for me the important thing now is the 360 degrees change of the approach to the community by AMD!

Hope that Compiz-Fusion will be an one month wait for our ATI friends! And after that I could also be more helpful than just make comments and thoughts..heh!

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by jjjj View Post
            Hello,
            I'm too using Mobi X1600 and suffering from the same bugs (1. & 2.).
            I also noticed that even you can't change the AA settings using the amdcccle if you had previously configured 4XAA the setting is still honered! So I had to manually change from FSAAEnable=Son to FSAAEnable=Soff in /etc/ati/amdpcsdb . With FSAAEnable=Son I experienced crashing of 3D apps.
            Interesting, this mean, after installation, we should check if this file exist and make the require changes. Do we really need this file? For me, I do not have this file in my system.

My system works fine so far, no screen corruption. Xv works fine. I don't any dual screen or TV output to test, I don't use it anyway...

EDIT: I need to get back to work now, so is off my HP laptop and on my new Dell laptop (is an Intel 965GM). Good luck to the rest of the guys here.

Comment

• Originally posted by djdoo View Post
              Now for the topic...

I am an nvidia user who finds nvidia not as good as many folks think...
              The fact that their driver can use straight Composite doesn't make it better because it has 2 great blocker bugs for alot of people. And many folks still use XGL on nvidia...

I apreciatte now AMD far more than nvidia(of course we still cannot compare features and goodies overall like SLI) not for the "mysterious" new 8.41 driver but because they gave out the cards' specs and will provide more in the future and that's what counts for me... That's effective community support(at least a very promising start) not just a forum.

Cause here we do not talk about just performance added and bugs added or not solved in the new driver, we are talking about a completely new approach at the community by a really great community "enemy" company.

AMD has really changed the way those guys think about us and was obligated to do that not only cause Linux community grows rapidly but also cause Linux was the only OS supporting 64bit arch, and I think still is.

I think the new driver was a bit overboosted here but I blame noone for that cause I can feel every ATI's user agony about the new code and driver.

But guys in my opinion AMD now starts entering the game for good and we should concentrate now at the new heart the driver has which can give such 3D boost stuff and new hope obviously!
              And if a parallel good Open driver excists both of the drivers can take advantage of the experience and development of the 2 projects.

So for me the important thing now is the 360 degrees change of the approach to the community by AMD!

Hope that Compiz-Fusion will be an one month wait for our ATI friends! And after that I could also be more helpful than just make comments and thoughts..heh!

Jim
              Yeah I agree, however, its not that AMD didn't care, its more like ATI didn't care. Seems like AMD is fixing it all up and cracking the whip on ATI. AMD has always been pretty supportive of Linux, just not ATI.

Comment

• Folks with PCIe chips on AGP bus cards

Please -- if you have one of these cards, and this issue - add your note (kernel/rel distribution and hardware type) to bug 780 on the ati unofficially bugzilla --

This page -->http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=780

If we get more entries there they will have to acknowledge the issue - and we can hope they get it fixed...

More entries -- more likely they chase it

<< edit -> FWIW I have yet to try out my X1650Pro AGP 512Mb on this driver - this I will do on saturday - RL and Work and whatnot being what it is.... I DO have this card working with DRI - - Just NO AGP speed being set card runs in base pci mode ... if X is locking up HARD for you with this card, Increase your agp gart mem size in bios as large as you can, preferably = Memory on card - this resolved the hardlocks for me ..... >>
                Last edited by Alistair; 14 September 2007, 12:15 AM. Reason: noted WHAT the bug was for

Comment

• Originally posted by Malikith View Post
                  Yeah and if anyone wants to try and help me figure out my issue, which I doubt, I'll probably have to wait until 8.42, check out my Xorg.0.log:

My Xorg log

If you have any ideas, feel free to suggest.

Just so you know, 8.40 does work.
                  Looks like you might have composite kicking in there - have you tried the disable for it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alistair View Post
                    Looks like you might have composite kicking in there - have you tried the disable for it?
                    Yep sure have, heres my xorg.conf:

My xorg.conf

Comment

• Code:
                      dh_compress
                      dh_makeshlibs
                      dh_installdeb
                      LD_PRELOAD= dh_shlibdeps
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libc.so.6 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libstdc++.so.5 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libpthread.so.0 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/librt.so.1 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libdl.so.2 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libm.so.6 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libXext.so.6 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libX11.so.6 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/librt.so.1 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libdl.so.2 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libm.so.6 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libpthread.so.0 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libXext.so.6 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libX11.so.6 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libc.so.6 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libXrandr.so.2 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libXrender.so.1 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libfglrx_gamma.so.1 not found.
                      dpkg: /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib64/libGL.so.1 not found.
                      dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: dpkg --search gave error exit status 1
                      dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 256
                      make: *** [binary] Error 1
                      make: Leaving directory `/tmp/fglrx.jI6221'
                      Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.Zp6141
                      @ mjordan:

You reported earlier that you get a black screen with the new driver when load X...
                      Thanks... I'll try that when I get this compiling.... it wont' recognize my so.6, so.1 etc files... I've tried making links to the directories and even to individual files but no dice. All the files it can't find are actually located in /usr/lib and /usr/lib64, (which are both linked into /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu/ now as well). I can't figure this out...

If noone knows how to fix it can someone upload some pre-built Ubuntu/feisty .deb files?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X