Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.41.7 Display Driver Released -- The Holy Crap Edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Malikith View Post
    Oh by the way, try adding these I know these probably won't make a difference but put these at the end of your xorg.conf and try starting x, if it fails which i'm guessing it will, let me see your log again. There might be more answers then. Just maybe.

Code:
    Section "Extensions"
          Option "Composite" "Disable"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
          Option "AIGLX" "off"
    EndSection
    Adding the serverflags section to Xorg.conf cleared the software rendering error, so as of this moment I have to say the new driver is working very well for me.

Comment

• Also managed to get 8.41.7 working under Ubuntu 7.10 (tribe-5) where it had previously failed. I didn't know that a system reset was required after blacklisting the "fglrx" module in Ubuntu's restricted module manager.

Now works fine, no apparent issues.

Comment

• Could people start listing what specific cards they are having successes or failures with?

That way we can get a better idea which specific cards might be causing trouble for the driver.

Thanks!

Comment

• Figured I might as well post my experience...
          I have an ATI Radeon X1600 chip on an ASUS Radeon X1600 Pro board.
          When I installed the new driver and rebooted, everything came up fine. Didn't notice any difference, of course. So, I fired up Sauerbraten and turned up all the display settings (shader level 3, water reflections, refractions, and waves, etc.). Worked better than the last driver, until about the third map I loaded, when textures began coming up black. Not only the geometry textures (i.e. world), but the GUI and HUD textures were also black now. (The little screenshot of a map displayed as it is loading was also black.)
          I don't remember if I tried UT2004 or not, but I believe I did and it worked fine.

I went back to the 8.40.4 driver.

Comment

• Originally posted by SheeEttin View Post
            Figured I might as well post my experience...
            I have an ATI Radeon X1600 chip on an ASUS Radeon X1600 Pro board.
            When I installed the new driver and rebooted, everything came up fine. Didn't notice any difference, of course. So, I fired up Sauerbraten and turned up all the display settings (shader level 3, water reflections, refractions, and waves, etc.). Worked better than the last driver, until about the third map I loaded, when textures began coming up black. Not only the geometry textures (i.e. world), but the GUI and HUD textures were also black now. (The little screenshot of a map displayed as it is loading was also black.)
            I don't remember if I tried UT2004 or not, but I believe I did and it worked fine.

I went back to the 8.40.4 driver.
            PCIE? People seem to be having problems with the AGP versions of the X1600Pro.

Comment

• Originally posted by phreadom View Post
              PCIE? People seem to be having problems with the AGP versions of the X1600Pro.
              Yeah, PCIe.

Comment

• In short:
                It looks like all cards that were originally designed for PCIe and use a bridge chip to run on AGP do not work.

My 9800pro AGP runs perfectly fine on my Cheap Asrock Conroe865 board. It works nicely with the new 8.41.7 driver in UT2004 (1600x1200, maximum quality) and in Neverball (1600x1200, max quality) on Gentoo with a vanilla kernel 2.6.22.6, xorg 7.2 (xorg-server 1.3.0).

Comment

• Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
                  In short:
                  It looks like all cards that were originally designed for PCIe and use a bridge chip to run on AGP do not work.

My 9800pro AGP runs perfectly fine on my Cheap Asrock Conroe865 board. It works nicely with the new 8.41.7 driver in UT2004 (1600x1200, maximum quality) and in Neverball (1600x1200, max quality) on Gentoo with a vanilla kernel 2.6.22.6, xorg 7.2 (xorg-server 1.3.0).
                  Well, that's something. It's not QUITE as bad as it seems to be. Still, it's quite disappointing- the driver speed boost is impressive, when you get the drivers to work (I've yet to attempt it on the spare laptop and I'm not in a position to sacrifice any of my other machines yet...). Guess we'll just have to wait and see. AMD's not off of the "DO NOT BUY" list yet...

Comment

• Hello,
                    I'm too using Mobi X1600 and suffering from the same bugs (1. & 2.).
                    I also noticed that even you can't change the AA settings using the amdcccle if you had previously configured 4XAA the setting is still honered! So I had to manually change from FSAAEnable=Son to FSAAEnable=Soff in /etc/ati/amdpcsdb . With FSAAEnable=Son I experienced crashing of 3D apps.

Originally posted by ltmon View Post
                    Hi All,

I've had mostly success with x1600 mobility. Desktop features/bugs/performance are pretty much the same, and OpenGL performance -- as noted -- is significantly better. It seems that the "new driver" is more correctly a "new OpenGL subsystem".

In any case, can anyone help me with the following:
                    1. I can't change any game display settings from within the game. This has occurred with two Q3 based games. Any resolution or other settings change causes a crash.
                    2. My brightness in each game is really, really low. I can't seem to change it -- the ingame sliders for gamma don't function. I can set my color gamma using amdcccle on the desktop, which fixes this a bit, but the colors are very wonky in that case.

Thanks,

L.

Comment

• Back to the Radeon driver for me

I have an RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]. The driver seemed to work ok in single screen mode, but in dual screen mode all the open GL programs are messes up. When running a program such as glx gears it looks like it is trying to display everything twice as wide as it should.

Comment

Working...
                      X