Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.41.7 Display Driver Released -- The Holy Crap Edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
    I thought FSAA was disabled in the driver for this release on all models?
    A look at my earlier posts shows 8.41 does have FSAA completely disabled. If anyone is getting FSAA with 8.41, please let me know.

That tweaks list was left over from my time optimizing 8.38. When I upgraded to 8.39 and 8.40 I got the same or better performance and didn't bother changing anything. As Xipeos said, they don't do anything now.

Sorry for any confusion.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpman View Post
      It's reporting the OpenGL version, not the Radeon driver version.
      Yes, I know that. But with the 8.40 driver, fglrxinfo gives both the opengl version and the radeon driver version, which looks something like this:
      display: :0.0 screen: 0
      OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
      OpenGL renderer string: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series
      OpenGL version string: 2.0.6650 (8.40.4) <----

Comment

• Originally posted by andrig View Post
        I used --keep at the command line so I could look at the files, and modify as you say, but then I'm unsure of how to build the packages after. I have tried to run ati-installer.sh --buildpkg Fedora/F7, but that complains that Fedora/F7 is not supported. After either deleting the fgl_dri.so, or modifying the SPEC file, what script do you run with what arguments?

Thanks.
        Okay, I figured out that I also needed to pass in the version number from the driver before the --buildpkg Fedora/F7, and now the ati-installer.sh runs like it should. I still get the same RPM build errors, but maybe I'm interpreting your instructions incorrectly. Do I remove the fglrx_dri.so file from /usr/lib/dri and the symlink from /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri?

Comment

• Originally posted by andrig View Post
          Do I remove the fglrx_dri.so file from /usr/lib/dri and the symlink from /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri?
          Yes, you can basically remove those references since fglrx_dri.so is just a dummy file. It was meant to help package maintainers who didn't remove their fglrx_dri.so links in time, but before they announced fglrx_dri.so would temporarily be a dummy, I had already removed all traces of it and then had to go back in and add fglrx_dri.so back and I overlooked the x86_64 package.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• anybody can help me? why opengl is soo slow on my x1250...

Code:
            fgl_glxgears -info
            Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
            GL_RENDERER   = ATI Radeon X1200 Series
            GL_VERSION    = 2.0.6849 Release
            GL_VENDOR     = ATI Technologies Inc.
            GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap GL_ATI_fragment_shader GL_ATI_meminfo GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_copy_texture GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_subtexture GL_EXT_texgen_reflection GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control
            788 frames in 5.0 seconds = 157.600 FPS
            1008 frames in 5.0 seconds = 201.600 FPS
            1010 frames in 5.0 seconds = 202.000 FPS
            1006 frames in 5.0 seconds = 201.200 FPS
            1004 frames in 5.0 seconds = 200.800 FPS
            1014 frames in 5.0 seconds = 202.800 FPS
            994 frames in 5.0 seconds = 198.800 FPS
            1016 frames in 5.0 seconds = 203.200 FPS
            989 frames in 5.0 seconds = 197.800 FPS

Comment

• Originally posted by notz View Post
              anybody can help me? why opengl is soo slow on my x1250...

Code:
              fgl_glxgears -info
              Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
              GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap GL_ATI_fragment_shader GL_ATI_meminfo GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_copy_texture GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_subtexture GL_EXT_texgen_reflection GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control
              What results were you getting before with the Radeon X1250? fgl_glxgears and glxgears aren't exactly great benchmarks. Have you tried any other Linux OpenGL benchmarks?
              Michael Larabel

Comment

• Originally posted by notz View Post
                anybody can help me? why opengl is soo slow on my x1250...

Code:
                fgl_glxgears -info
                Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
                Don't use glxgears as a benchmark. My fps is glxgears dropped from ~70k to just ~7k, and in fgl_glxgears from ~50k to ~5k. This is obviously not a proper measurement, as I got some performance improvement with doom3 & nexuiz (see my post...somewhere in this thread).

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Opera, stop with your useless arguing with Xipeos and others... I've already warned you.
                  Michael, I don't have any problem with any of the other people being critical of 8.41, but this guy is over the line. Please make him go away.

Comment

• Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
                    Michael, I don't have any problem with any of the other people being critical of 8.41, but this guy is over the line. Please make him go away.
                    Forum users are free to voice their opinion whether they like a driver or not, but yes Opera has already taken it over the line and was warned and if he does it once more he will be banned.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

• I have tested the 3d performance with ioquake3

with old 8.39.4 and 8.40.4
                      1280x1024x32 hightest possible quality: demo four : 93fps

with new 8.41.7
                      1280x1024x32 hightest possible quality: demo four : 145fps

that a +50% improvement!

Also , fgl_glxgears improved from
                      750fps (8.40.4) to
                      1000fps (8.41.7)

thats very good work indeed. Thanks you.

Beware:
                      For those who use wine as well wine (games, applications using 3D/libgl) might not work properly with 8.41.7. I have already contacted wine-devs and reported the problem. It should be already worked on and fixed soon (maybe even until next release)

mcgreg

Comment

Working...
                      X