Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Driver Is Out! Meet Oktoberfest!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
    AMD has gotten their act together.

8.41 will be out early next week.
    That is great to hear, Michael. Now if only they can fix my AGP troubles.

Comment

• Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
      Just dropped in by chance.
      Good to see you back on the forums as well.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Good to see you back on the forums as well.
        And good timing too. I've mostly given up on ATi so it's a nice surprise to see drivers that are back on track. Hopefully, it's everything I hope for.

Comment

• Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
          Oh Svartalf, is this the end of our ATi cynical days?
          Heh... I don't know- if they DO keep up at this rate as long as they don't have silicon boo-boos, I think so. I remain on the fence a little longer to see what all they hand us based off of the promises we're about to be given at noon EDT today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Heh... I don't know- if they DO keep up at this rate as long as they don't have silicon boo-boos, I think so. I remain on the fence a little longer to see what all they hand us based off of the promises we're about to be given at noon EDT today.
            Yes... always the skeptical one. You are right to be skeptical. I do hope the driver is true because it's sad for everyone to be built up based on false promises.

Comment

Xipeos and Opera, do I have to tell you two to stop fighting?
              Let me just summarize the flaws of the assumptions Xipeos has of me. After all, he's lying about Me, which is a bit out of the ordinary, and not really suitable here. And, he's making some tasteless comments on me, personally.

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
              Don't judge a driver by it's version. Someone suggested the 8.41 means the 41 release of the 8th year. Not everyone is using the same versioning system as the kernel devs.
              Have I ever said that everyone is using the same "versioning system" (versioning system is a tool, like CVS, SVN, gif. Maybe you meant version practice/model/scheme) as the kernel devs?
              Even the linux kernel has changed versioning scheme over the years.

But to the facts; I'd be surprised to see any program being heavily rewritten from version x.yz into x.y[z+1]. I've never seen it before, but some time should be the first time, they say.

Of course you can opera. A couple of dedicated programmers can do it in...two weeks? wtf do you know?! You're just an angry user.
              * Two weeks? Let's say the ATI source tree would be (I'm just making a guess) at least 20 Mb. To just analyze and get used to the code, would take several weeks.
              * Two weeks would be a suitable last test-period from last Release Candidate to Release. Why do I know this?:
              * No, I'm not an angry user. I'm a programmer. Have been for a decade. Been developing in several languages on DOS/Win32/Linux, mostly in C and C++.

I would like to know where you get the idea that someone could port a newly released ATI driver to RandR 1.2 in two weeks (and not have something extremely broken and buggy and only worth a complete re-write or two).
              Have you even once written a single line of code? It doesn't sound like it. Your immature view on open source, seems the equal on programming in general.

EDIT: you don't have to re-write the whole driver for randr. You can just build an interface that translates randr requests to DDM (like wine and cedega do with their compatibility layer).
              FYI: I'm currently (not too much though, since I'm on a tight schedule) working on RandR 1.2-support for the open source Avivo-driver. To make something like that really work, means to get used to large parts of the driver, but perhaps even more time needs to get used to the X.org source tree which is absolutely huge.
              Just making your first build of X.org succeed takes a lot of time.

You'd do it for yourself. You can pay yourself if you want to... (but then again, you're just an angry user, not a programmer (?) )
              Am I supposed to answer this? Pay myself? Are you high?

Can't take a little challenge, you wuss?
              I can't recall when this discussion, beginning with my rather well-based (by experience) skepticism of ATI's drivers ever needed to become this hostile.
              You lost the discussion, please, do it gracefully.
              This is tasteless.
              I have my challenge already, and it lies in Avivo, and I'm probably failing there since I haven't touched that code in a few weeks.

Again with the wussing. As of now, we know very little about AMD's open-source initiative. And even if they shifted all the work on us, it would be much better then what we had so far. They way I remember it, *many* people were asking for the shift (even you - "give it to x.org hackers" remember?!)
              I very much prefer to be skeptical and share my skepticism and be proven wrong with a great driver, than shouting out how I love ATI and how they will save the world, and then get yet another crappy worseless driver which doesn't run on either:
              * x86-64
              * Moderm linux versions
              * Modern X.org
              * A computer with a black metal case and a blue power light
              * In a room with only 1 window
              * Any other obscure reason

I prefer positive surprises, over negative ones.

Fine be skeptical, I won't comment on your bitching anymore.
              The comments you just made here, are the worst and most pathetic and tasteless I've seen in a long time. You probably shouldn't have sunk this low.

Comment

• Look you two, just end it and stop fighting. There's no point to it. If you two think that fighting is the mature way of handling things, go create a new thread in the general discussion but don't taint this thread or any other on-topic ones.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Look you two, just end it and stop fighting. There's no point to it. If you two think that fighting is the mature way of handling things, go create a new thread in the general discussion but don't taint this thread or any other on-topic ones.
                  Fine. Title: "The New Driver Is Out". *sounding like Peter when Cleveland says it's gonna be fun, s06e18*: It is?

Comment

• @opera:

You have every right to be skeptical about the new driver. For the last years, ATI has done everything to disappoint Linux users. They just have to earn back our trust by actually publishing a better driver instead of just talking about it.

But please stop turning this thread into an private war against people who just haven't learned to distinguish between marketing talk and facts.

Comment

• As a former ATI owner, who jumped boat just because of the many driver issues, with the release of the information and numbers of the Phoronix articles in regards to fglrx 8.41, I must say I'm excited again about ATI on Linux. I don't know if I'll jump boat just yet, but definitely news worth keeping an eye on.

Comment

Working...
                      X