Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Driver Is Out! Meet Oktoberfest!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• su
    apt-get install module-assistant build-essential fakeroot dh-make debconf bzip2 libstdc++5
    sh ./ati-driver-installer-8.40.4-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Debian/etch
    m-a prepare
    m-a update
    m-a a-i fglrx
    depmod -a
    <editor> /etc/X11/xorg.conf (vesa = fglrx)

I've never really had any problems installing fglrx.

Comment

• HA HA!!

I really would like to see the nvidia's devs faces when saw the benchmarks with the new 8.41 and ATI cards generally compared with their cards and drivers!!!

We have serious problems with nvidia drivers at Compiz-Fusion!

They have 2 major blocker bugs (I am sure most of you have heard of them...) It's the black windows bug and the what I named the Frozen Bug!!

The frozen bug came to the nvidia users as a surpise with the 100.14.xx drivers...
      The system freezes on logout restart and shutdown when using Compiz-Fusion.

The 8500-8600 users have to use the 100.14.11 driver so they have to face the Frozen bug!

But I was really surprised when saw that ATI performance overcomed clearly the much more expensive nvidia cards in linux with the new 8.41 driver!

AMD also scored by opensourcing the old code!

Compiz-Fusion community will be very anxious waiting for the 8.42 driver to come and finally our ATI friends will be able to use AIGLX!!

And that day nvidia would be really overcomed in linux and I will buy an ATI graphics card!

I am really tired waiting for these nvidia fools to fix the bugs for Fusion at their drivers for much more than a year.

As I used to tell them at nvnews (and banned me for that) AMD will smash you and you just telling us that you will fix the black windows bug in a few months!!!
      If you are arogant you will pay the price one day...

So best wishes and keep up the great work folks informing us for the latest greatest news!!

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by djdoo View Post
        AMD also scored by opensourcing the old code!
        From what's been reported it sounds like the open source driver won't be based on the old code.

Comment

• I've read that the Xorg Server 1.4 accelerates GL_texture_from_pixmap. Does that improve performance with Compiz? Debian/sid will have the Xorg Server 1.4 next week and I think my card is fast enough for AIGLX/Compiz (AMD Radeon X1900 XT 512), but I am still wondering.

Comment

• Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
            From what's been reported it sounds like the open source driver won't be based on the old code.
            Really? Maybe I got it wrong but anyway whatever code they opensource will be a great move!

And btw if it is something newer than old code it will be better than the old code...at least we hope so...

Comment

• It isn't the new code as in 8.41, it is new code that hasn't been used before.

Comment

• Originally posted by djdoo View Post
                We have serious problems with nvidia drivers at Compiz-Fusion!

They have 2 major blocker bugs (I am sure most of you have heard of them...) It's the black windows bug and the what I named the Frozen Bug!!

The frozen bug came to the nvidia users as a surpise with the 100.14.xx drivers...
                The Frozen Bug is a bug that was actually present in older nVidia drivers particularly for the GeForce 4 series (1.0-2966 or some such) which was more like random, while the present bug (though its presentation is virtually the same) seems to be only when closing down the server. I consider this to be a regression and it is present in a variety of hardware (from GeForce FX cards to the latest G80 models). Being an FX user I have the benefit of being able to use older drivers, but newer cards don't have such benefit, particularly those whose support was first introduced in the 1.0-100 series of drivers.

I have not had the "Black Window" bug (yet), but I still have Beryl installed instead of Fusion, so maybe Beryl doesn't expose it as much, however I've seen the problem in the past with older drivers.

I don't mean to bash nVidia, but they sure have taken their sweet time to fix these problems (and others) with their drivers. Still their drivers are "good enough" for most applications and users (maybe that's why they've taken so long?). At any rate, I don't mean nor want to turn this thread into an NV Vs ATI/AMD or Us Vs Them thread. I think AMD's labor of opening up the drivers, offering at last a much improved driver and the plans for the future in adding more features, only can speak well for AMD/ATI. In the end, it is us the consumers who are the real beneficiaries of all these efforts.

Comment

• Micheal,

Though we are all anxious for the driver, my mediacenter is kinda curious if bug #309 (http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=309) is fixed?

XV with ONLY the TV connected (I have a 9550 AGP) results in only half the overlay area is being used by about 2/3 - 3/4 of the video.

Comment

• Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
                    You would probably not want it in the first place... It's pretty busted up compared to the stuff in the 8.41 driver base. They're giving us a 2D driver core with the ability to pile on the Mesa/DRI stuff from what I understand, along with some technical assistance and financial backing from them.

Comment

• Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                      su
                      apt-get install module-assistant build-essential fakeroot dh-make debconf bzip2 libstdc++5
                      sh ./ati-driver-installer-8.40.4-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Debian/etch
                      m-a prepare
                      m-a update
                      m-a a-i fglrx
                      depmod -a
                      <editor> /etc/X11/xorg.conf (vesa = fglrx)

I've never really had any problems installing fglrx.
                      I'm just remembering that I've tried that a few times...tried it again with Kernel 2.6.20...got pages of errors.

Comment

Working...
                      X