• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheOmegaMan View Post
    This is for uhoh:

<bitch>
    blah blah
    </bitch>
    I'm sorry I offended your ego trying to justify your poor choice of graphics card.

If you think complaining about mouse cursor corruption and desktop corruption in the corners is "dumb and unneeded", I guess I just have higher expectations than you about the 2D graphics quality from my graphics card. I've searched forums and even participated on the unofficial bugzilla where several others report the same problem (http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=683). Obviously all these people are having a mass hallucination since you don't get this problem.

I also had early ATI cards (mach64) which required disabling hardware mouse cursor support in windows to avoid corruption and lockups. This just goes to show that ATI's awful drivers have a long history. How is this an argument in favour of ATI? Look at the facts: 1. Today, it is not possible to get a corruption-free desktop experience on ATI 2. Today, it is possible to get a corruption-free desktop experience on NVIDIA. Conclusion: ATI has *not* done an awesome job; in any case, NVIDIA has done a better job.

I don't care who buys who (why would you even bring that up), all I care about is having a graphics card that is able to run Firefox and my IDE of choice with decent performance, no screen corruption and no crashes. To this date, this is not the reality of an ATI card owner's life.

I've tried running the open source driver several times, but it's so poor that any web page with opacity layers in Firefox brings the entire machine to a halt. Effectively, these drivers are unusable. Also, you of all persons should be aware that the reason that those open source drivers exist in the first place is not due to the generosity of AMD/ATI, rather, it is IN SPITE of that gfx card vendor.

Claiming that I haven't mentioned specs or versions just goes to show that you haven't done your homework at all before going into flame mode.

It's scary how all those ATI apologists come out of the woodwork whenever someone dare to criticize ATI's non-delivery, and then have to resort to personal attacks and calling names ("...how stupid [you] are")

Comment

Originally posted by uhoh View Post
      I'm sorry I offended your ego trying to justify your poor choice of graphics card.

If you think complaining about mouse cursor corruption and desktop corruption in the corners is "dumb and unneeded", I guess I just have higher expectations than you about the 2D graphics quality from my graphics card. I've searched forums and even participated on the unofficial bugzilla where several others report the same problem (http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=683). Obviously all these people are having a mass hallucination since you don't get this problem.

I also had early ATI cards (mach64) which required disabling hardware mouse cursor support in windows to avoid corruption and lockups. This just goes to show that ATI's awful drivers have a long history. How is this an argument in favour of ATI? Look at the facts: 1. Today, it is not possible to get a corruption-free desktop experience on ATI 2. Today, it is possible to get a corruption-free desktop experience on NVIDIA. Conclusion: ATI has *not* done an awesome job; in any case, NVIDIA has done a better job.

I don't care who buys who (why would you even bring that up), all I care about is having a graphics card that is able to run Firefox and my IDE of choice with decent performance, no screen corruption and no crashes. To this date, this is not the reality of an ATI card owner's life.

I've tried running the open source driver several times, but it's so poor that any web page with opacity layers in Firefox brings the entire machine to a halt. Effectively, these drivers are unusable. Also, you of all persons should be aware that the reason that those open source drivers exist in the first place is not due to the generosity of AMD/ATI, rather, it is IN SPITE of that gfx card vendor.

Claiming that I haven't mentioned specs or versions just goes to show that you haven't done your homework at all before going into flame mode.

It's scary how all those ATI apologists come out of the woodwork whenever someone dare to criticize ATI's non-delivery, and then have to resort to personal attacks and calling names ("...how stupid [you] are")
      I can see why you blame ATI and deservedly so but things are changing since AMD took over. Their track record with Linux does deserve the benefit of the doubt. 11 months after the buyout and they are opening things up, rolling out a completely new driver. Your attacking that driver without any actual experience using it. lol It's your negativity bordering on hatred that is being attacked.

Your basing all this on a Mach 64 card?? whats that an r100 chipset? My x800pro (R420) actually works well with the open source driver. I can use Compiz/XGL fine if I choose to. I can wait 1 more month for AIGLX support with the 8.42 driver.

As for no corruption with nVidia I've read plenty of people having problems with Compiz fusion especially with their new 8000 line of cards ..
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
        I can see why you blame ATI and deservedly so but things are changing since AMD took over. Their track record with Linux does deserve the benefit of the doubt.
        Actually, their track record with Linux does NOT deserve the benefit of the doubt. That's the whole point I'm arguing.

Your basing all this on a Mach 64 card?? whats that an r100 chipset?
        No I'm not, I suggest you read what you are replying to. The ATI card I'm currently having issues with is an x600.

Comment

Originally posted by uhoh View Post
          Actually, their track record with Linux does NOT deserve the benefit of the doubt. That's the whole point I'm arguing.

No I'm not, I suggest you read what you are replying to. The ATI card I'm currently having issues with is an x600.
          I'll just agree to disagree about AMD.It takes time to re-organize.

Hmm no where in the post I quoted did you mention an r600..and it's been well documented that neither the open source driver or the proprietary driver supports the r600 in Linux..the upcoming 8.41's are the first to do so.. I can understand why your ad it's taken soo long to support it.. but that is the penalty for buying new hardware out the door..Same can be said for nVidia's GeForce 8 series. Sure they got drivers out sooner but they also haven't fixed any issues in over 2 months.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
          Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Hmm no where in the post I quoted did you mention an r600..and it's been well documented that neither the open source driver or the proprietary driver supports the r600 in Linux..the upcoming 8.41's are the first to do so.. I can understand why your ad it's taken soo long to support it.. but that is the penalty for buying new hardware out the door..Same can be said for nVidia's GeForce 8 series. Sure they got drivers out sooner but they also haven't fixed any issues in over 2 months.
            Again I must ask you to please read before posting. It's an x600, not an r600 that I'm talking about.

Comment

The ability to read can really be helpful from time to time: he said X600 not R600...

Well let me sum up what happened since ati was bought by amd:

1. no performance improvements
              2. since the last 5-6 releases xv is broken again (i own a X1600Pro and it did work before FLAWLESSLY)
              3. still not possible to upgrade X-Server or Kernel without any problems (when you want to compile a newer kernel you have to create a patch yourself or wait for the release that finally contains support for the new version of the kernel/X-Server) Strange thing this is no problem with nvidia-cards i have a geforce 3 in my machine at work and believe it or not it's quite an old version of the nvidia-legacy-driver but i'm able to use the latest version of the X-server and a current version of the kernel. Is that possible with fglrx?
              4. the ridicilous last 4-5 releases
              5. aiglx?!?
              6. nvidia even has it's own implementation such that you don't aiglx or xgl to get all the cool desktop effects.

If you compare ati/amd-linux-achievements with the nvidia-linux-achievments there is still a great gap that ati/amd has to fill before one can say that they are on the same level as nvidia.

Comment

Hello, I have a Radeon 9550, I think it's not a r300 series. Will it be possible for me to use the ne AMD Catalyst 8.41? Is this new driver will give to me better performance?

Sorry, my english are not very good, I'me Qu?b?cois.

Comment

From fglrx 8.33.6 logfile:

ATI RADEON 9550 (RV350 LX 4153)

Should basically work with oss ati driver too with 3d support.

Comment

Yes but with this driver the performance are very bad... Is the new driver will be better?

Comment

Originally posted by pierluc View Post
                      Yes but with this driver the performance are very bad... Is the new driver will be better?
                      fglrx 8.41 will support your card. It should give you better performance.

Comment

Working...
                      X