X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidicas
    replied
    Originally posted by Panix View Post
    A lot of crap.... Seriously, not sure what ppl are rambling on about but I read at least two complaints about power management with the FOSS drivers. The Radeon feature (Xorg) page won't load but I remember that it listed PM as working.
    It is, but the equivalent of "PowerPlay" is not enabled by default because AMD let laptop manufacturers do whatever the hell they wanted with the hardware. My HP laptop doesn't use AMD's reference clocks on the GPU, nor does it put into the BIOS what clocks the GPU should run at.. So enabling the generic power management of the Radeon (r300g) driver does not work well at all. The laptop either burns up quickly at the reference clocks or it isn't stable at the lower voltage. However, with a little bit of tinkering and manually setting clocks, I've got it working *VERY* well, much better than the Catalyst drivers as I have a lot of control over the laptop's performance and thermals whether I'm on battery or plugged into the wall.

HP ships their own Windows XP (only) drivers for my laptop and they haven't been updated since 2005. The drivers slightly underclock the GPU and GPU memory so the laptop doesn't get too hot. There is no way for any drivers to know about these kinds of things under Linux because the information really isn't stored anywhere that I know of. So of course, power management for Radeon is a mess.. AMD needs to get their shit together and force laptop manufs. to actually make laptops that can handle the heat of their chips at reference clocks or at the very least, keep track of when a laptop manuf. ships laptops with underclocked / undervolted GPUs from the factory.

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Yet, people here who have laptops with at least the mobility 3200 radeon card in their laptop can't get it to work with proper management. How old are those cards? If it's so difficult to get OSS drivers working, you have a problem.

Not sure why few here aren't just saying the facts which are: AMD just supports Windows. They don't invest in Linux. The resources and personnel just isn't there. Call them out instead of these ridiculous tangents some posters go on.
    I'd say the HD 3200 is still fairly new considering how far the open source drivers have been lagging behind. Yes, that's mostly because AMD put only half a dozen guys on their open source driver team, so it is AMD's fault. At least they're still better than nVidia who put a whopping 0 guys on their imaginary open-source team.
    Last edited by Sidicas; 14 September 2012, 09:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    A lot of crap.... Seriously, not sure what ppl are rambling on about but I read at least two complaints about power management with the FOSS drivers. The Radeon feature (Xorg) page won't load but I remember that it listed PM as working.

Yet, people here who have laptops with at least the mobility 3200 radeon card in their laptop can't get it to work with proper management. How old are those cards? If it's so difficult to get OSS drivers working, you have a problem.

Not sure why few here aren't just saying the facts which are: AMD just supports Windows. They don't invest in Linux. The resources and personnel just isn't there. Call them out instead of these ridiculous tangents some posters go on.
    Last edited by Panix; 14 September 2012, 07:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• necro-lover
    replied
    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    You forgot one thing. The direct genetic manipulation, while giving desired results much faster compared to selection, is not stable or predictable.
    Because, when using selection, the plant tests it itself - by surviving or not. Several plant generation loops and analysis, and done. This is not the case with direct manipulation.
    It takes a LOT of resources to simulate the plant development and calculate the impact. It takes a lot of money and time to run test cases to stabilize the whole changes and iron out even tiny quirks.

Only then direct genetic manipulation is safe.
    This is not being done. Instead money making is done - safety does not interest people, they are used to dump wastes without thinking of consequences, like babies peeing in own bed.

This is why genetically modified food possesses danger much beyond the scope of a nuclear meltdown.
    Tschernobyl case, with tremendous efforts, was managed.
    But you can't manage where genetic damage is driven, you can't control where the bee flies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIJbA5BJFiQ
    sure but BUT natural breeding(selection) with modern techniques means genetic analysis and based on the analysis you do a natural breeding is technically the same than a direct genetic manipulation.
    the only point is: natural breeding sounds better but its technically the same.
    you can select any natural-mutation based on a radiation damage on the genetic with natural breeding and in the end there is nothing "natural" its only a effect of the radiation and mutation.

Direct genetic manipulation is the same like a mutation because of (natural)radiation its only faster.

Natural mutation or direct Genetic manipulation do not chance this: "the plant tests it itself - by surviving or not."

The plant still tests itself by surviving or not.
    this basic rule is not off just because you manipulate the genetic code.

(only you use the BAD stuff termination technology then its broken by design)

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
    That’s what I said 1 post on top of your post.

To improve a plant to make it stronger and better with transgenegics is not bad.
    But the company’s who sell sterilized seeds with terminator technology to make the farmer addicted to there products are bad!
    People who want to force the farmer into there copyright system and into a unlimited perfect addiction are bad.

Its like a drug dealer selling you Heroin or give you the first shot heroin for free.
    You forgot one thing. The direct genetic manipulation, while giving desired results much faster compared to selection, is not stable or predictable.
    Because, when using selection, the plant tests it itself - by surviving or not. Several plant generation loops and analysis, and done. This is not the case with direct manipulation.
    It takes a LOT of resources to simulate the plant development and calculate the impact. It takes a lot of money and time to run test cases to stabilize the whole changes and iron out even tiny quirks.

Only then direct genetic manipulation is safe.
    This is not being done. Instead money making is done - safety does not interest people, they are used to dump wastes without thinking of consequences, like babies peeing in own bed.

This is why genetically modified food possesses danger much beyond the scope of a nuclear meltdown.
    Tschernobyl case, with tremendous efforts, was managed.
    But you can't manage where genetic damage is driven, you can't control where the bee flies.

Die Imker müssen um die Reinheit ihres Honigs fürchten. Schuld daran ist der Anbau von Gen-Mais. Wenn dessen Blütenpollen in den Honig gelangen, darf dieser ...

Leave a comment:

• necro-lover
    replied
    Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
    Please stop the off-topic discussion and the generalizing BS. I may be an uneducated linux user, but as a biologist, I can only tell you that being against transgenics because of a specific application is the same as being against C++ because somebody used it to write a virus. Technology cannot be bad, only people and how they use it. Please, hate bad people, spare technology.
    That?s what I said 1 post on top of your post.

To improve a plant to make it stronger and better with transgenegics is not bad.
    But the company?s who sell sterilized seeds with terminator technology to make the farmer addicted to there products are bad!
    People who want to force the farmer into there copyright system and into a unlimited perfect addiction are bad.

Its like a drug dealer selling you Heroin or give you the first shot heroin for free.

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
    Please stop the off-topic discussion and the generalizing BS. I may be an uneducated linux user, but as a biologist, I can only tell you that being against transgenics because of a specific application is the same as being against C++ because somebody used it to write a virus. Technology cannot be bad, only people and how they use it. Please, hate bad people, spare technology.
    Figueiredo, read carefully next time. All hate is against "Bad" companies seeking profits at any cost. Technology is OK.

Leave a comment:

• Figueiredo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• necro-lover
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    I know the situation about the seeds -and i don't like it- but then again i think of all the benefits technology -and genetical engineering- gave us.
    Your writing prove that you don't know it.
    Because the termination technology to kill the fertility of the seeds growing on the genetic engineered plants has nothing to do with the benefits of the genetically engineering.
    Sounds crazy and you don't believe this? right? but its the truth.

The point is there are 2 different technologies. and most people don't get the point.

To make a plant stronger and better with genetic is one side but this has nothing to do with the termination technology to kill the fertility of the seeds.

He do not speak about the first part the "Good" part he only speaks about the second part the "BAD" part.
    Maybe he is for the "Good" part of the Genetic technologies. but he is against the "BAD" part of the genetic technologies.
    And these capitalist company never give away the "Good" part without the the "BAD" part who makes the people addicted to the company.
    Its a lie if the people say that the GOOD part is not possible without the BAD part.

Its is possible to make the plant better without the termination technology to kill the fertility of the seeds.
    And this was his point but you don't get the point because you are brainwashed.

The solution is simple: make the "termination technology to kill the fertility of the seeds." against the law and kill everyone in dead penalty who makes this happen.

Its so easy just kill the people who try to hurt peoples natural right of using the fertility of the seeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic...ion_technology

that’s the BAD part.
    Last edited by necro-lover; 11 September 2012, 08:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• archibald
    replied
    Google doesn't count as a source: a claim was made about steroids in meat causing obesity, therefore the onus is on the proponents of the claim to provide evidence, not on me to sift through Google's search results.

Andr?s Carrasco. "GM soy: Sustainable? Responsible?"
    Thanks for the report name, I'll take a look soon.

If you call this "FUD", I recommend you to do some serious research.
    I wasn't aware of the details either way on this, I was just pointing out that saying "X causes cancer" is FUD *unless* one has a good source to back it up.

Leave a comment:

• disi
    replied
    I am not so much interested in management. So you bought a HD4770, me too! This was >3 years ago and the open driver was unusable in the beginning. I wanted to follow its progress and stuck to it (couldn't game but thats ok), only ~3-6 months later there was a usuable driver for desktop and better on 2D than fglrx (when KMS became default and out of staging).

About 2 years later I got a new laptop with GTX460 (apps on full screen with a second monitor just didn't work, always streched and with xinerama no hw acceleration on the desktop and all the crap), kicked out the card and put in a 6970M which worked out of the box. I can play most games by now and have a fast desktop (apart from wine games even full screen works perfect)...

For the advise to buy Nvidia. I don't sell Linux or Linux Desktop. For people who just want to play games and use their computer like a toaster, use the Nvidia binary driver. At that time probably the better advise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X