AMD 8.40.4 Driver -- One Bug A Day Keeps AIGLX Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peper View Post
    Important question - is x86_64 driver finally working properly? Anyone tested this driver under x86_64 machine with FC7? I guess its working fine on i386 FC7?
    I just tried 8.40.4 with x86_64 FC7 & X1550 and it didn't work. Patching helped a little, I succeeded starting X once... but now it doesn't work anymore.

Comment

The new driver isn't out yet till later this year.
      This doesn't have anything to do with 8.40.* directly, but do you mean a really New driver is coming out some time? I read something like that on this forum a while ago, iirc. I haven't been acquainted with Phoronix for too long (this is my first post), and I don't remember seeing any mention of a properly redone driver in any of the news, like "The state of ATI in 2007".

Comment

Originally posted by container View Post
        This doesn't have anything to do with 8.40.* directly, but do you mean a really New driver is coming out some time? I read something like that on this forum a while ago, iirc. I haven't been acquainted with Phoronix for too long (this is my first post), and I don't remember seeing any mention of a properly redone driver in any of the news, like "The state of ATI in 2007".

It's a NEW DRIVER. There's tidbits of information on this new driver in other articles, but beyond that I can't comment any further and you'll just need to stay tuned to Phoronix.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Sigh..well unlike the 8.39's these work fine..no mouse corruption..unfortunately I cannot select
          1280x1024..1152x864 is the highest resolution available once again.. back to the 8.38's...
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
          Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            It's a NEW DRIVER. There's tidbits of information on this new driver in other articles, but beyond that I can't comment any further and you'll just need to stay tuned to Phoronix.
            I am going to confirm that whole statement from start to finish. It's a completely new driver. Any statements beyond that item would be rank supposition on the part of the party making the statement- or it's information that was given under Non-Disclosure.

I'm just of the opinion that it won't be this year that we see the thing, but Q1-Q2 of next, or that if they do get something out it'll be buggy in varying ways and firm up by that time next year.

Comment

Yee haw.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              It's a NEW DRIVER.
              Does that explain why ATI is stonewalling any customer service request made about the current driver? ATI is refusing to explain the error message:

fglX11AllocateManagedSurface: __FGLTexMgrAllocMem failed!!

in either the 8.39.4 or the 8.40.4 drivers because my FireGL V5250 chip is integrated into a laptop. Without an explanation, I have no chance of getting things working other than hoping each month that the next version will fix things.

Of course, if it weren't integrated into a laptop I'd probably have replaced it with an NVidia chip by now. I wonder - can you put regular graphics cards into docking stations?

Comment

A new driver in 18 months?

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                I'm just of the opinion that it won't be this year that we see the thing, but Q1-Q2 of next, or that if they do get something out it'll be buggy in varying ways and firm up by that time next year.
                18 months is, of course, just a blink of the eye in the computing industry...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  I hope they'll release it once its somewhat stable and work on getting it as stable as possible later. Its not like the current driver is a perfect example of a stable driver.

Comment

It is this year you will see the new stable driver.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It would be just my luck that they drop support for my x800 agp when they introduce it
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                      X