Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Linux Catalyst: Hardware Owners Screwed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@RussianNeuroMancer

Ironlake exposes H264 accelleration via vaapi. I think MPEG2 as well, i just didnt use my i5-680 cpu for over a year because i prefer my i7-880 and i only have got one board for it. Compared to SNB/IVB the missing codec is VC1 (and the hardware h264 encoder for i3-2/3+).

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Ironlake exposes H264 accelleration via vaapi.
      Sure, I know. I even have a talk with Eugeni Dodonov about this issues with driver, but he not found solution yet. In my opinion hardware limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        You might want to wait for an actual announcement. I think you will find that the changes are in line with what folks here have been requesting / suggesting.
        Hmm that sounds promising.. Was the comment targeted to commenters here or to Michael?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          Blu-ray playback?
          Not directly Blu-ray (I don't have a BD drive), but HD video in h264 format.

For people who cry blood when they see tearing (like me) vsync issues even worse.
          I can't stand tearing either. But if I had SNB hardware, I'd use one of the ways to get rid of it.

With RC6 that doesn't help.
          Don't use it then. Lack of proper power management doesn't seem to bother you on AMD, so by those rules, needing to deactivate rc6 is a perfectly fine solution.

Prooflink, please. Not link to some page this time, only link to message and quote from this message.
          If you're too lazy to read a page of a thread, that's not my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
            Even worse is hdmi out on OSS. I made the mistake years ago purchasing a 9000. I thought it would be an upgrade over my TNT2 Ultra.
            The 9800 was worse. Now I got a 4200 built in. Soon as I can figure out the numbers game of Nvidia I'm going with a GTX if I can afford one.
            What problems have you had with HDMI I've never had any issues since audio was added. That's on my RS690G and RS880

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
              HD video in h264 format.
              720p or 1080p? Main profile or high profile? Re-encoded stream or original stream?
              But if I had SNB hardware, I'd use one of the ways to get rid of it.
              Actually there is two workarounds that user need to use at the same time (disabled RC6 and gl compositor) otherwise there will be tearing. Oh, there is also great situation around SNA - the only workaround for tearing is using Gnome Shell with "CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling" (no workarounds for Compiz and KWin AFAIK).
              Don't use it then. Lack of proper power management doesn't seem to bother you on AMD, so by those rules, needing to deactivate rc6 is a perfectly fine solution.
              So, no big difference on power management side. Intel & AMD implementations have own issues. Still disagree?
              If you're too lazy to read a page of a thread
              Yes, so what?
              By the way Intel release all docs? But anybody help them resolve issues with RC6 & tearing? No!

Comment

Why do you always write about RC6? You don't need to use it, whats the point?

Comment

720p or 1080p? Main profile or high profile? Re-encoded stream or original stream?
                  Dude seriously? Are you going to ask for the link directly to the file next?

So, no big difference on power management side.
                  Wow, you must be so proud of yourself that you were able to bait me into sorta, kinda saying Intel's situation is the same as AMD's. Well done, your trolling task for the day is complete.

Well, if it weren't for this little thing where vsync issues (which aren't directly related to power management, lower clocks just make the already present issue a bit worse) don't mean "no big difference". Intel still has proper power management and AMD doesn't. And with Intel you at least have options to try to mitigate vsync issues. There are no options regarding AMD until they release docs. So the way I see it, your trolling task actually failed. Thank you for playing, better luck next time.

@Kano: It's the only hook he found for his trolling, so of course he'll use it to the full extent possible.
                  Last edited by Gusar; 01 June 2012, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Nothings perfect.

Do I think AMD is phasing out hardware too soon? Yeah ~3 years is far too short.

Is the open source solution perfect? Well not really. At least there is a choice ,Windows users are locked.

As far as the sky is falling sentiment. When Linux starts getting more hardware intensive games I will worry. When whatever
                    version of X catalyst supports is no longer able to be used I will worry, or just switch to the xf86-ati driver. Or since
                    that will be in God knows how many years I will probably be running some new machine that makes all of our current
                    systems look like dog crap. On that note. Who says Linux as it is will even be relevant then? Maybe we will all be using wayland
                    and ARM chips that support it graphically. Raspberry Pi is what? $35? Maybe for <$50 we will be able to have a ARM mini that kicks the crap out of a i5 2500k + kepler nvidia card in ~10 years. I know it's slightly off topic but truly it's the direction were heading and for it to happen a lot of taken for granted things are going to go away. Look at Windows 8. Get on or move out of the way it seems is the way it is.

Comment

If I had the choice I would be perfectly fine with tearing when I would get proper power-management for that. What use has a tearing free video playback when the machine overheats and the battery is sucked out in no time when watching a video?

Comment

Working...
                      X