X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rohcQaH
    replied
    Originally posted by log0 View Post
    Can someone point me to a tutorial of some sort on how to get the latest mesa stuff running next to catalyst. Are phoronix test setups documented?
    Three choices:
    * Use a distribution like gentoo that actually allows several libGL implementations to exist on your system. You need to load modules manually, and switch between two xorg.conf (i.e. forget XDM), but it can work.
    * Just install a separate OS on a different partition. Maybe play around with UnionFS to save space.
    * Try to manually install both on an unsupported system, go crazy over the conflicts that arise, eventually bork your system and reinstall.

Honestly, if you have to ask how to do it, go with option 2. It's safer.

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Michael, where is the Doom3 test?
    I still consider this wide gap between r600g and Catalyst on higher res/quality to be due to still missing optimizing shader compiler.
    At lower res/quality GPU can keep with unoptimized shaders, but with lots of pixels the game changes. What happened with Vadim Girlin's initiative on that?

nvidia had hardware scheduler so far, and that is the reason for better nouveau speed, event unsupported by nvidia, but now with kepler, they go AMD route, with software scheduler in the driver ( at least thats what anandtech says ).

Leave a comment:

• log0
    replied
    Thanks for the updated comparison Michael!

I know I am maybe asking too much. But I think it would be quite interesting to see traces(apitrace supports CPU profiling) of the benchmarks for the very slow results at least, just to get a better idea where the binary drivers are faster.

Btw I think one could actually use api traces of games as benchmarks. This would additionally ensure that the same call paths are executed, no fall-backs or workarounds for specific hardware taken.

PS:
    Can someone point me to a tutorial of some sort on how to get the latest mesa stuff running next to catalyst. Are phoronix test setups documented?

Leave a comment:

• anarki2
    replied
    What a surprise...

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Radeon Gallium3D Still Long Shot From Catalyst

Radeon Gallium3D Still Long Shot From Catalyst

Phoronix: Radeon Gallium3D Still Long Shot From Catalyst

Following recent advancements in the open-source Radeon Linux driver like 2D color tiling support, I've carried out some new benchmarks of the open-source Radeon Gallium3D driver compared to AMD's official Catalyst driver. This time around, the open-source driver is seeing tests against AMD's binary blob when various performance-optimizing tweaks are enabled to see where the performance stands today.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X