OpenGL 3.0, GLSL 1.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 3.0, GLSL 1.3

Congratulations (and thanks). This is a huge step and should not go unnoticed.

Additional info for r600g: The env var R600_GLSL130=1 enables GLSL 1.3. Along with R600_STREAMOUT=1, it enables full GL 3.
    Code:
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 8.0-devel (git-10c8552)
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    webM videos in firefox on youtube also run fine.
    In what way does Firefox and its webM rendering use Mesa functionality? Or was this just a side note?

Comment

Originally posted by aceman View Post
      In what way does Firefox and its webM rendering use Mesa functionality? Or was this just a side note?
      Catalyst (fglrx) has massive tearing when any kind of video is played, mesa does not suffer from this problem.
      (side-note: in the blob you can use the TearFree option to get rid of that tearing, I know, but then your video gets really laggy)

Comment

Originally posted by Aquous View Post
        Catalyst (fglrx) has massive tearing when any kind of video is played, mesa does not suffer from this problem.
        (side-note: in the blob you can use the TearFree option to get rid of that tearing, I know, but then your video gets really laggy)
        I think this is the job of the X.org driver (xorg-video-ati). In OSS land, you have the X.org driver named "radeon" (=mode setting, EXA acceleration, v-sync stuff) + Mesa (OpenGL). I think fglrx provides functionality of both so it can affect the video playback in Firefox.
        I just don't think Mesa has anything to do with Firefox video so far. I has with WebGL. See in about:support, Graphics section. Do you have OpenGL accelerated windows there? This acceleration is disabled by default on Linux yet.
        I am a Firefox bug triager, I can look at bug reports if you have filed any on bugzilla.mozilla.org.

Comment

I think this is the job of the X.org driver (xorg-video-ati). In OSS land, you have the X.org driver named "radeon" (=mode setting, EXA acceleration, v-sync stuff) + Mesa (OpenGL). I think fglrx provides functionality of both so it can affect the video playback in Firefox.
          I just don't think Mesa has anything to do with Firefox video so far. I has with WebGL. See in about:support, Graphics section. Do you have OpenGL accelerated windows there? This acceleration is disabled by default on Linux yet.
          I am a Firefox bug triager, I can look at bug reports if you have filed any on bugzilla.mozilla.org.
          It depends how the video is rendered and whether there is a compositor running or not. If there is a compositor running, it is the compositors job to avoid tearing since it controls updates to the scanout buffer. If there is no compositor running, then it depends on how the video is rendered. If the video app is using GL to render, it would work similarly to the compositor case (the GL app rendering the video would handle it). If the app is using Xv, then the ddx (xf86-video-ati, etc.) can attempt to avoid tearing.

Comment

Thanks, that is similar to what I was saying. That compositor is not part of Mesa. And it depends more on the X.org driver. As we are talking specific application here, Firefox, it does not use OpenGL for video. Something like mplayer -vo gl2 would use it.

Comment

Good for you. I am not that happy with Mesa so far Mesa 8 even getting worse than 7.11.

Comment

Not sure what you ask now
                But don't worry, I was always 100% on radeon+mesa. Just that Mesa is not yet giving me what I need in 3D and 8 has some new regressions.

Comment

Just that Mesa is not yet giving me what I need in 3D and 8 has some new regressions.
                  What regressions do you speak of? I am using Mesa 7.11 at the moment, so I can not doubt your claim, but I am curious.

By the way, how do you get YouTube and WebM to work anyhow? I could never get it working right. I am using Chromium on Fedora 16.

And, finally, great work developers!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                    What regressions do you speak of? I am using Mesa 7.11 at the moment, so I can not doubt your claim, but I am curious.
                    Wrong planet rendering in Celestia, garbage display in glxgears when window is maximized, Scorched3D very slow and missing features in the scene. I am on RV710, R600g.
                    I also have start-crash of google-earth (regression from 7.10 that was in 7.11 too) but it happens on software rendering too. So either it is some code Mesa problem (not specific to R600g) or some of my other system libs.

But yes, I am testing some development snapshot, not even sure if it is close before 8 or it is early version of 8.1. So I will check 8.0 final comes out. So take this with a big grain of salt.

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                    By the way, how do you get YouTube and WebM to work anyhow? I could never get it working right. I am using Chromium on Fedora 16.
                    Dunno, I am using Firefox and Youtube+WebM works. Can't say for the speed of it, I use the flash version so far.
                    Quaridarium is the pro here on this.

Comment

Working...
                    X