Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.7 Driver For Linux Brings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    I think the freeze when the mouse is moved in the lower right corner is something to do with multiple displays so that is why many people don't have it.
    For me if I disable the second display and remove the cable it will work fine.
    I only have one display, and I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Catalyst doesn't handle the console. It's only for X11. For booting, you need to use a kernel framebuffer driver like VESAFB.
      any suggestion? solution?

Comment

Originally posted by the8lack8ox View Post
        I'm using 11.6 from RPM Fusion (on Fedora 15) to run the graphics on my A8-3850 APU, but it says unsupported hardware. Though it works... ehh... well, it works without failing completely. I tried using the 11.7 driver straight from the AMD website earlier, and the unsupported hardware message goes away. However, their package apparently doesn't configure itself correctly (and I'm not sure what I have to do), since the compositing GNOME Shell refuses to run. I'll keep running 11.6 until the RPM Fusion folks do a version bump, even though there's some issues, such as that annoying, persistent emblem in the lower right corner of my screen that says "Unsupported hardware".
        Finally got 11.7 installed correctly. Works mostly OK now except the top bar of the GNOME Shell is completely transparent. I don't have the lower right corner freezes, and I have two mirrored displays connected to DVI and HDMI.

Wish I could get HDMI audio working now, but that's a completely different matter from Catalyst.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
          any suggestion? solution?
          Yes, use VESAFB.

Comment

vesa while boot only? vesa for grub you mean?

never did that, can you explain?

Comment

vesa while boot only? vesa for grub you mean?
              never did that, can you explain?
              VESAFB is a kernel framebuffer driver. Therefore, it can't be related to Grub. To use VESAFB, you enable it in the kernel, compile the kernel and install it and its modules.

If you're using a generic distro kernel, then probably it has been already compiled with VESAFB enabled. To select a resolution, you put something like "vga=0x31A" in the Grub kernel command line. "0x31A" is a VESA mode. They can differ from card to card and it's sometimes difficult to know what to use. You can try to find some on Google. For example, I found http://stommel.tamu.edu/~baum/linux/.../Vesafb-5.html

Comment

not working.. dont care... can see splash, but while boot it says "cannot load vesafb"
                dunno.. its ok,
                but still some www are broken...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                  What were those mipmap issues?
                  mipmaps in a couple plugins are broken in a couple of the compiz plugins in the stock natty release.......if u enable it in mipmaps in the expo extension for instance, after the screen uses the expo extension for a transform event the screen won't update except for the mouse, when u click on stuff u can't actually see what u r doing....I hypothesized that not being able to use mipmaps was contributing to some lag I was getting in those effects. The new release sounds promising, I'll prob give it a whirl in the next few days, thanks for the info

Comment

desktop works realy crappy, slow update, tearing, slow www scrolling, enabling vsynch in drivers only helps in 50%... catalist 10.12 was much much better, dunno whats happend...
                    glxgears works on 7000 fps.. but animation shows like 0.5 fps without vsynch in drivers... thats bad bad bad...

Comment

desktop works realy crappy, slow update, tearing, slow www scrolling, enabling vsynch in drivers only helps in 50%... catalist 10.12 was much much better, dunno whats happend...
                      glxgears works on 7000 fps.. but animation shows like 0.5 fps without vsynch in drivers... thats bad bad bad...
                      Aside from everything else, glxgears is not the best benchmarking tool. Also, what you're seeing with glxgears is likely the same effect seen with wheels spinning very fast (they can often look to be going in the opposite direction). Just wanted to point that one out - it's not bad, it's fast.

Comment

Working...
                      X