No announcement yet.

How Old ATI GPUs Can Be Faster On Open Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since we are talking about theoretical situations, what happens when haiku becomes the dominant OS and no vendors have full featured drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      Since we are talking about theoretical situations, what happens when haiku becomes the dominant OS and no vendors have full featured drivers?
      It cannot. Same as linux cannot. At least not with opensource. Because you guys lack money and crew. Because no mechanism exists to transfer you what you require.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
        For work you use CPU.
        Or cheap multimonitor amd card with proprietary driver. Which you will have to replace every 5 years and that will crash your desktop periodically.
        No, you use the OSS drivers with full xrandr support, multi-monitor support, stable desktop effects and xvideo. That's pretty much what you need for work, and AMD cards with OSS drivers do this perfectly. And it works out of the box without fucking around with proprietary blob injections.

For htpc - nvidia has way better hw acceleration in linux. Kudos to Intel for some work though.
        Intel provides OSS HW decoding using very cheap integrated solutions, which is what you want for an htpc. Spending $500 on a card with a humongous fan for an HPTC system is nonsense.

For gaming... yeah. What was definition of desktop again? Seems AMD is interested in home linux experience with opensource drivers just as you(sorry).
        Newsflash -- most Linux games work with OSS drivers. If performance is crucial to you, then yeah, buy nvidia, which is what I said.

Or buy a PS3, which is much cheaper than your $500 nvidia HTPC card

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          Intel provides OSS HW decoding using very cheap integrated solutions, which is what you want for an htpc. Spending $500 on a card with a humongous fan for an HPTC system is nonsense.
          The reason why I got a Core i5 as CPU for my new notebook. No problems even with 1080p material. mplayer-vaapi user here

Comment

No, you use the OSS drivers with full xrandr support, multi-monitor support, stable desktop effects and xvideo. That's pretty much what you need for work, and AMD cards with OSS drivers do this perfectly. And it works out of the box without fucking around with proprietary blob injections.
            So you and I mean same thing - but OSS drivers lack features, speed, release speed - everything of which is only available with people - that are only available with money (unless you decide to spend week coding instead of supporting your own family with job) - that is only available from regular people, customers, that buy products. And this products are not connected to the oss driver.

As I said, kudos intel for that. There are show stoppers however:
            - weak hardware (at least for 3D, not htpc!)
            - current decoding problems
            When they finish that up I wont hesitate to buy Intel chip. You hear amd crew? Buy intel hardware. Money. Because it is opensource. And because it works. <BOTH>

500$ was not meant for htpc, but for desktop card.
            Sometimes video, usual desktop, sometimes multimonitor, games and 3D development suits, sometimes even GPGPU. That range.

Newsflash -- most Linux games work with OSS drivers. If performance is crucial to you, then yeah, buy nvidia, which is what I said.

Or buy a PS3, which is much cheaper than your $500 nvidia HTPC card
            Yeah, either outdated 6 year old card in six year old system; or $500 card that works at speed of 50$ because of absence of attention within driver, because it is not payed (nothing from that 500$ ever made into the driver).

And I dont want to buy nvidia. I had once sold Riva TNT2 for Radeon 64 DDR, instead of Geforce2 GTS, because I wanted to support that canadian company which the only one declared war against taiwanese alligator (I have nothing against taiwan itself, only that company).

Comment

- current decoding problems
              Care to explain? Preferrably with a link to the bugreport you filed.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidAcid View Post
                Care to explain? Preferrably with a link to the bugreport you filed.
                I'm prefering to this issue.

Comment

I'm prefering to this issue.
                  I can't reproduce what they state in that article. I didn't have any problems playing back 1080p H264 content with a framerate of 23.976 on a LG TV connected through HDMI. And yes, decoding through vaapi.

Comment

GPU is an Inten Arrandale though, but I don't think that would make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidAcid View Post
                      I can't reproduce what they state in that article. I didn't have any problems playing back 1080p H264 content with a framerate of 23.976 on a LG TV connected through HDMI. And yes, decoding through vaapi.
                      If true its great! If intel pushes its APU in high-end segment and also provides same driver support... Just hope the price won't skyrocket to 999$.

Comment

Working...
                      X