Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiling Is Being Worked On For The Open Evergreen Driver

Phoronix: Tiling Is Being Worked On For The Open Evergreen Driver

While the Radeon HD 6000 series is AMD's latest generation of graphics processor, and has initial open-source support available as of earlier this month, the open-source Linux GPU driver support isn't yet complete for the older Radeon HD 5000 "Evergreen" series and generations even older than that. One of the features that has been lacking for Evergreen is tiling support within the ATI Gallium3D "R600g" driver for the HD 5000 series while it is available for the R600 ASICs and earlier. Evergreen tiling support though is now being worked on, which should deliver a performance boost once fully implemented for this hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

after watching and reading transcript from the open source confrence. It looks like they are taking alot of the proper directions and steps to get this to be a good driver.

Comment

What's the current general condition of the r600g driver? What is it still lacking before it can be made default, instead of the r600?

Comment

Hi,
        i'm currently using r600g driver as default driver for my RV620 chipset.

All games i have tested are running at the same speed than r600c.

(alienarena,nexuiz,openarena,xonotic,warsow,assaul tcube,Heroes of newerth,tremulous,...)

and some games which are not running on r600c ,are working on r600g (like the game "braid" for example).

compiz and kwin compositors are running fast too.

Comment

I very briefly tried r600g with Half-Life the other day. It seemed to work fine. It kernel panicked my machine when I tried Portal though! Portal doesn't run for me with r600c either but it doesn't kernel panic. Has anyone actually got it working with r600c? I'm wondering if something else is wrong.

Comment

airlied is a sexy beast no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              I very briefly tried r600g with Half-Life the other day. It seemed to work fine. It kernel panicked my machine when I tried Portal though! Portal doesn't run for me with r600c either but it doesn't kernel panic. Has anyone actually got it working with r600c? I'm wondering if something else is wrong.
              Portal does run here on my Evergreen with both r600c and r600g, but there are missing objects in the game. eg. gravity gun and turrets, though you can see their laser beams.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                Portal does run here on my Evergreen with both r600c and r600g, but there are missing objects in the game. eg. gravity gun and turrets, though you can see their laser beams.
                Hmm. I guess the main two factors here would be the card and the Wine and Mesa versions. In my case, that's the Radeon 4670, Wine 1.3.12 and Mesa 7.10. Did you have to do any DLL overrides other than gameoverlayrenderer.dll?

Comment

Also wine 1.3.12 here, mesa from git master and no dll overrides. I do have glsl disabled in wine though, because it screws up rendering even more and is slower.

Comment

Mesa master probably helps but I'll give it another shot later. I have an idea. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                    X