Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is there a closed and open source driver ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snogglethorpe View Post
    Ahhh the phoronix forums... ever a font of reasoned discourse :/
    Indeed. You can be sure to generate these kind of responses if you include any of the words from the following list in a sentence:
    • DRM
    • AMD/ATI
    • NVIDIA
    • FGLRX
    • Open-source
    • Closed-source
    • Games
    • Wine
    • Beer

Hey, it's the first time I used a list in here. Looks good.
    Where is the original poster anyway? Is he happy with the responses so far or did he flee in fear?

Comment

You forgot:

* Steam

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Maybe one day the PC vendors will all decide that they don't care about having all of the certifications that robust DRM allows, but that day doesn't seem any closer today than it was 8 years ago.
        Yeah, sadly. It doesn't seem like the music industry changed much when they went DRM-free, everybody who wanted a DRM-free copy already knew how to get it.

I think it's exactly the same with BluRay, they could drop the DRM and nothing much would change - those who want it DRM-free already know how to get it.

But just try telilng the MPAA that.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
          Indeed. You can be sure to generate these kind of responses if you include any of the words from the following list in a sentence:
          • DRM
          • AMD/ATI
          • NVIDIA
          • FGLRX
          • Open-source
          • Closed-source
          • Games
          • Wine
          • Beer

Hey, it's the first time I used a list in here. Looks good.
          Where is the original poster anyway? Is he happy with the responses so far or did he flee in fear?
          Well tbh, the first answer was ok for me and answered me pretty well. Then however, came the other answers, which confused me more and more. And then I fled, hiding myself from that World War 3 I triggered by asking my questions x).

Nah, seriously thank you all, I read all your posts even though I must admit I'm even more confused now. This looks like I started a troll without knowing it :/. But well, there can't be one answer, only debates . (except in mathematics maybe)

Comment

Working...
          X