Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is there a closed and open source driver ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    puplic domain is fine
    BSD licence is fine to.
    why do you think i'm forced by GPL ?
    i just think GPL is one valid way.
    With PD and BSD all of this would be a none issue. It is when the GPL is used that those restrictions start blocking true freedom.

"Must you bring in slur of cleansing via genocide into every post. Do you seriously know who you sound like?"

i just make fun on that genocide stuff
    It isn't funny in the least. Seriously it is rather disturbing.

buy your apple stuff be happy with your apple stuff and so one and so one.
    Damn rights I will, I'll buy what ever I please. I don't need someone else telling me however adding yet another bunch of restrictions that 99.9% of people would never be affected by.

i will never ever touch apple stuff again in my hole life
    That's your choice.

"No MP3, no h264, no vc1, etc."

o yes i vote for that flac,ogg,dirac,vp8 rock da house
    Better never watch TV I guess if you truly believe in that (or any other media that is transported via non completely free manners)

"Lets just forget the fact that someone may not like those devices."

to like an apple device its like brain cancer or aids i can not find the right word.
    And people that get into pissing matches over philosophy to the extent that they restrict the actions of others are born brain dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
      true enough.
      but i think the gpl is about making sure sourcecode and products based on this code stay free.
      and saying nothing when the gpl licence is being bend gives other companies the impression they can take whenever they want.
      at some point you have to make a stand and i think its better to be save than sorry.
      and if enough people complain about it maybe apple will budge on their stance and make their store gpl compatible.
      but sadly this story is spun to make vlc developers look like zealots who dont want to share their baby.
      That's just the thing, the source was freely available. This isn't even about the source not being available. It was an idiotic pissing match about a very loose and liberal form of DRM that in real life practice hurt nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        That's just the thing, the source was freely available. This isn't even about the source not being available. It was an idiotic pissing match about a very loose and liberal form of DRM that in real life practice hurt nobody.
        if it doesnt hurt, why implement?
        at least give developers the ability to say they dont want any of that drm stuff with their software.
        its the same bull as not being able to install software from any other source without jailbreaking the phone.
        and maybe the developer was naive enough to believe apple would budge, but we probably wont ever know.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
          if it doesnt hurt, why implement?
          at least give developers the ability to say they dont want any of that drm stuff with their software.
          its the same bull as not being able to install software from any other source without jailbreaking the phone.
          and maybe the developer was naive enough to believe apple would budge, but we probably wont ever know.
          It comes down to the bean counting. The DRM is there for the paid apps. Free apps with other licenses are able to live in the ecosystem fine since it places no real restrictions on them. It is only GPL 3 that really causes the issue. For them to revamp their system simply isn't worth it since you can almost guarantee those apps they wouldn't make any money on anyways. 30% of nothing is still nothing.

Comment

It comes down to the bean counting. The DRM is there for the paid apps. Free apps with other licenses are able to live in the ecosystem fine since it places no real restrictions on them. It is only GPL 3 that really causes the issue. For them to revamp their system simply isn't worth it since you can almost guarantee those apps they wouldn't make any money on anyways. 30% of nothing is still nothing.
            true.
            and this is where everbody loses
            apple sticks to their postion for monetary reasons and gpl developers to theirs for ideological.

thats it from me tonight.
            im off to bed.
            3am o_O

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              the GPL is not the problem apple is the problem. google do have an appstore to and GPL software is compatible with the apple appstore.

so yes only apple is the problem the REAL problem.
              Every other license can live fine there, GPL 3 can't. It is GPL's own self imposed restrictions that is preventing it being on the store.

sure but this means apple are born brain dead because they restrict the actions of others (MPEG LA-Patent law)

o yes you are soooo right apple is soo sooo soo bad.. you are right really!
              Means GPL advocates are brain dead as well.

Comment

Correction, it means that GPL advocates that see it as the only solution are brain dead as well.

Comment

Ahhh the phoronix forums... ever a font of reasoned discourse :/

Comment

Don't be too hard on deanjo. He simply enjoys being the contrarian and arguing against the grain.

I'm sure he sits on the Microsoft forum too and argues about how GPL is the only choice and how closed source is braindead. Just like he argues here that closed source is good, open source is bad, DRM is good, GPL is bad.

I do not believe that he actually supports half of the positions he defends here.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      I'm sure he sits on the Microsoft forum too and argues about how GPL is the only choice and how closed source is braindead. Just like he argues here that closed source is good, open source is bad, DRM is good, GPL is bad.
                      Nope.

I do not believe that he actually supports half of the positions he defends here.
                      Believe it.

Comment

Working...
                      X