Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming on r700 with oss drivers

Hello

I have bought the humble indie bundle and think they are great games.
    But how does these games run on r700 hardware with the oss drivers (latest git)?

I am asking just of curiosity, because right now I use fglrx (it works without problems). But I want to try the oss ones, now that we got some kind of powermanagement.

Not ready yet. Stay with what you got.

Comment

They work great, and have been added to the RadeonProgram page.

Personally, I've had some issues with LugaruHD, where it gets slower after a while, but other people don't seem to have this problem.

Keep in mind that I have a 64-bit system, so my 32-bit libs (required to play LugaruHD) are a bit outdated -- Mesa 7.8, and not the latest git, for example.

I'm running Penumbra in 1920x1080, with full effects on, and it looks (and plays) great!

Comment

Originally posted by Beiruty View Post
        Not ready yet. Stay with what you got.
        How did you arrive at this conclusion

Comment

Sounds good.
          I am surpriced any got penumbra running with the oss drivers. Also with reflections etc?

Comment

I don't remember seeing reflections, but I haven't played it for too long. Dynamic shadows and all that work perfectly, as does bilinear and trilinear filtering.

The only thing that doesn't work is motion blur.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              They work great, and have been added to the RadeonProgram page.

Personally, I've had some issues with LugaruHD, where it gets slower after a while, but other people don't seem to have this problem.

Keep in mind that I have a 64-bit system, so my 32-bit libs (required to play LugaruHD) are a bit outdated -- Mesa 7.8, and not the latest git, for example.

I'm running Penumbra in 1920x1080, with full effects on, and it looks (and plays) great!
              In Lugaru, does the slowdown only happen when you punch/kick or otherwise fight someone?

It runs perfectly fine while just running around, but as soon as I start fighting it drops well below 1fps.

And I've got Doom3 working on my 4850 at like 30fps.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing, once you start fighting, it gets bursts of lag. I'm guessing that there is some odd software fallback involved. Then when I run away, it's back to normal again.

And great news regarding Doom3, time to dig out my old CDs and play through the thing one more time. But first I need to get through Penumbra: Overture, and I will certainly get the remaining two episodes (for a fiver!!!) too.

Comment

Is there any easy way of getting latest and greatest kms,oss etc for Ubuntu Lucid?
                  Does the xorg/edgers include powermanagement patches?

Comment

AFAIK power management is only related to kernel version. You have to compile drm-next branch.

Comment

Working...
                    X