ATI and Linux compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sorry, can you post some numbers, or benchmark page on that? I am looking at todays phoronix unigine benchmark and i like the numbers of ati.
    For FPS to be relevant the drivers have to first work in the scenarios you intend to use them in.

I am using kde4.4 with compositing, an you know what? it works
    It doesn't work for everybody. Which model card are you using?

Comment

You can highlight the title of the post?
      Can you read the first post?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        nVidia's blob is better than ATi's blob.
        I am not very sure that this is true for native opengl applications. Here fglrx shines ! and nvidia of course!

Comment

nVidia's blob is better than ATi's blob.

I don't think that anyone is seriously debating this.
          I don't think anyone could seriously debate this at the moment. With some luck this may change in the future though.

But we should at least be honest and not spread total bullshit. When people intentionally lie because of fanboyism, that doesn't help anybody.
          Indeed. So why do people post that there card works perfectly, only then to later qualify their original statements with caveat after caveat about where you have to do this, or where that doesn't work?

ATi's blob does powersaving just fine. It does 3D just fine (VERY performant!).
          It works well in some situations but not all. I also acknowledged that power saving works for Evergreen with fglrx.

It is not very good at Xv and 2D in general, and not as stable as nVidia's blob. But many people are running it just fine.

And here we have more caveats.

It's a matter of being a nuissance sometimes, not a matter of not having friggin powersaving -- what a pile of FUD that one was!
          No, this thread is definitely not predicated on whether or not power saving is working or not. It may be part of the overall equation, but not really the dominant one.

Comment

I am not very sure that this is true for native opengl applications. Here fglrx shines ! and nvidia of course!
            But again more caveats. What if someone wants to use Wine for games (as does the first poster who started this thread)

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
              Can you read the first post?
              We are going off topic here, yes, dmrauss asked for demanding games, but he didnt' specify wine (in this case nvidia is obvious to me), and he asked too " I wondered if the scenario changed over the years"

For demanding games binaries have more sense, but people are begin to play HON, nexuiz... with open source. So, sorry, i don't see the discussion an exclusive fglrx vs nvidia blob.

Comment

We are going off topic here, yes, dmrauss asked for demanding games, but he didnt' specify wine (in this case nvidia is obvious to me), and he asked too " I wondered if the scenario changed over the years"

For demanding games binaries have more sense, but people are begin to play HON, nexuiz... with open source. So, sorry, i don't see the discussion an exclusive fglrx vs nvidia blob.

Originally posted by dmrauss View Post
                Hi! I've been researching for hardware to buy a new computer. As I only use Linux but never used any ATI graphic card and a friend of mine said a while ago the combination is by any means no good, I wondered if the scenario changed over the years. Searching on internet, found AMD website FAQ, which states that "ATI Proprietary Linux driver currently supports Radeon 8500 and later AGP or PCI Express graphics products" (http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/linux.html#2)

You, Linux users, owners of ATI cards, would you please tell if it's possible to do the combination Linux/ATI and still play performance demanding games (on wine and natively)?

I searched but couldn't find useful and **updated** material on internet. Most of material are from past 5 years!!

Thanks in advance,
                Rauss.
                Surely his requirements can only be satisfied with either fglrx or nVidia blob. Are you seriously saying Intel integrated graphics or FOSS radeon are options here.

Comment

Plus I think fglrx can outperform nvidia on native opengl games, because ati hardware is better , and fglrx has good performance on native opengl.

Comment

you read what you highlighted???

Comment

Plus I think fglrx can outperform nvidia on native opengl games, because ati hardware is better , and fglrx has good performance on native opengl.
                      (on wine and natively)?

Comment

Working...
                      X