ATI and Linux compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sorry, this is your point, composite kde4 has a lag when resizing window, i noticed it now. This doesn't hesitates me a lot! But its true.

Well i will try the ppa.
    Most people report a delay when minimising and maximising a window without the patch.

Comment

• not really at maximizing, i dont notice at max/min, is like a 0.5 seg delay when resizing, not really disturbing. but yeah is a bug, and has a easy ppa solution.

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
        Many report FAIRLY good results, but it's not common to find ones that report an equivalent level of effortless and reliable functionality as provided by nVidia's blob.
        Yes we get the message. nvidia is awesome, nvidia is god, yawn. So after all this nvidia is better than ATI why are you even considering buying an ATI card? Really you and Panix should just buy nvidia cards and get it over with. Leave the ATI bashing to actual owners of ATI cards, we are perfectly capable of doing that ourselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          Yes we get the message. nvidia is awesome, nvidia is god, yawn. So after all this nvidia is better than ATI why are you even considering buying an ATI card? Really you and Panix should just buy nvidia cards and get it over with. Leave the ATI bashing to actual owners of ATI cards, we are perfectly capable of doing that ourselves.
          +1
          Thats what I am trying to tell him.

Comment

• Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            fglrx's trajectory is one which looks like it will provide the premium Linux experience at some stage. Also, ATIs hardware is better for what a lot of people want.

As far as ATI bashing is concerned, can you differentiate between trying to state the reality of what many are experiencing vs the rose coloured glasses view that some are portraying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans View Post
              +1
              Thats what I am trying to tell him.
              Then you're also missing the point of what I'm saying.

Comment

Also, ATIs hardware is better for what a lot of people want.
                Of course, without robust drivers, the best hardware in the world is of no use. This is why I'm keeping an eye on fglrx's development. AMD have the best hardware for what I need. It's just that the drivers under Linux have let that hardware down somewhat. I don't expect this situation to prevail for ever though.

Comment

Then you're also missing the point of what I'm saying.
                  You've said a lot, 10+ pages... You've made your point, multiple times. Who or what are you still fighting for?

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    You've said a lot, 10+ pages... You've made your point, multiple times. Who or what are you still fighting for?
                    Well why do people continue to refute what I'm saying (often by misrepresenting what I'm getting at)

For those ATI fanbois out there (I know ther must be some ) -

What's the quickest way to get someone to hate a piece of hardware? Tell potential customers it'll do what they say they need it to do when it doesn't quite do that. Better to tell them to wait for it to do exactly what they want, let then know what it will AND won't do, or tell them to use something else that will do exactly what they're after.

Once someone develops a hatred of a brand (which can happen if they're sold a crock) then it's very hard to get them back. Basically it's going to usually be easier to sell an nVidia fanboi on ATI than a previously burnt by lack of driver functionality ATI customer.

Comment

• nvidia drivers are better, but fglrx arn't as bad.

If you want to play wine with AMD, dont wait amd improve their drivers. Please speak to wine 3d devs, this is important! AMD can not clone opengl nvidia implementation.

If you want video accel, yes nvidia wins. But i play my hd videos using cpu, so not a real big deal, or application stopper.

Native opengl both are good, but ati hardware is better. So in general you have less power consuption at idle at in load.

Comment

Working...
                      X