ATI and Linux compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
    Well if you're saying that he should buy nVidia, then we agree. If you're saying he should by ATI then we disagree. If you're not saying either then you're simply sprouting rubbish.
    ?? What is that?

Is his money he can buy whatever he wants, I think that reading the first page he has sufficient information.

Am I an ATI fanboy? I said that nvidia is better at wine, video accel, compiz and 2d. and good at native opengl.

You said nosenses about ati opengl native support, you have no idea what is opensource and why are open source lovers. You are miss informed about kde 4. But you are objective ?? WTF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
      ?? What is that?

Is his money he can buy whatever he wants, I think that reading the first page he has sufficient information.
      It's surely a given that it's his money, that a given. But, he's asking for advice on how to spend it. I for one, when advising people on how to spend money, treat this very seriously and in a non frivolous manner. If I give advice it would be along the lines of what I'd spend my own personal money on if my requirements and constraints were the same as he or she asking for that advice. To do any less is very poor form in my view.

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
      Am I an ATI fanboy? I said that nvidia is better at wine, video accel, compiz and 2d. and good at native opengl.
      I don't know if you are one and I don't care if you are either.

You said nosenses about ati opengl native support,
      So you beleive ATIs opengl support is in every way as good as nVidia on the Linux platform. Well there we disagree.

you have no idea what is opensource and why are open source lovers.
      Given that I've made some patches (no matter how small, one for a kernel driver, one for the KDE 3.5 help system) in addition to helping people use opensource software for no payment, I think I may know one or two things about it.

You are miss informed about kde 4.
      Well so you say. So I ask are you prepared to put your money where your mouth is? Will you send $580 Australian to Bridgman or someone equally trustworthy to hold in trust, so that if I buy the card and I find it unsatisfactory I can send him the card, then he send the money to me, then he send the card to you?

But you are objective ?? WTF
      Yes I'm objective. I'm in a similar position to the OP. I want to buy an ATI card, but due to the reported issues of which there are many, I'm simply holding off until their driver platform is proven across the board in day to day use, and not simply in a small sub-set of use cases that some random person considers "good enough for all" but is a small sub-set of the required usage.

Comment

?? What is that?

You said nosenses about ati opengl native support, you have no idea what is opensource and why are open source lovers. You are miss informed about kde 4. But you are objective ?? WTF
        Just ignore it dude. Unfortunately some in this forum likes to talk bad about a vendor, even if they don't own a card from them.

One should only criticize the vendors of the cards they actually own and have experience of.

Comment

• Yeah this is a non sense since page 4, sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans View Post
            Just ignore it dude. Unfortunately some in this forum likes to talk bad about a vendor, even if they don't own a card from them.

One should only criticize the vendors of the cards they actually own and have experience of.
            But again of I'm relaying what OWNERS of the cards are saying, then those said OWNERS are either lying en mass, or maybe they have a point.

Do you think they're all lying or trying to engineer some mass fraud in order to take AMD's reputation down? Do you never take what many say to hold some truth?

Comment

But again of I'm relaying what OWNERS of the cards are saying, then those said OWNERS are either lying en mass, or maybe they have a point.

Do you think they're all lying or trying to engineer some mass fraud in order to take AMD's reputation down? Do you never take what many say to hold some truth?
              I am just saying, that you should let the ATI users tell him how fglrx and the oss behave today. He won't get anything from a user, who have read x numbers of threads and somehow created an opinion about ATI.
              We are enough users with ATI to answer him already, and our experience with ATI should hopefully only be colored by our own experience.

Comment

• If you carry 40 kg of tnt and explode in front islam infidels you will go to heaven and have 80 nvidia fermis to play with, yeah try it! a lot of plp say that!!

The problem here is that this is false the consecuences would be fatal But on your dudes, you can buy 2nd hand ati 4350, borrow and ati, buy cheap 5450... and try it yourself! maybe you will learn something, what exactly works, and what exactly doesn't...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans View Post
                  I am just saying, that you should let the ATI users tell him how fglrx and the oss behave today. He won't get anything from a user, who have read x numbers of threads and somehow created an opinion about ATI.
                  We are enough users with ATI to answer him already, and our experience with ATI should hopefully only be colored by our own experience.
                  I initially said nothing controversial regarding fglrx. Someone then introduced the issue of how you should make the purchase descision based on who is opensource friendly out of ATI and nVidia.

My point at this stage and largely continued to be that when talking about outcomes relating to wine gaming performance on a Linux desktop, whether or not a company was opensource friendly or not wouldn't have any impact on how his Windows game ran under wine.

Opensource friendliness of a company has a certain relevance in certain conversations, just not that one.

Ignoring opensource friendliness, there are two options available for discrete graphics on the linux desktop. Clearly nVidia has the better pedigree for the OPs use case, in addition to that many report issues with fglrx and have done for quite a while. nVidia isn't perfect either, but we can only choose the least worst from the options available. We can't choose the perfect option because it currently doesn't exist. To try to deviate into who is more opensource friendly is to de-rail the current conversion and has little relevance to the OP unless he is willing to modify his requirements in order to run an open driver.

If you simply must have open drivers, then no one can seriously argue against ATI at the moment. It's just not what the OP was asking for.

Comment

If you carry 40 kg of tnt and explode in front islam infidels you will go to heaven and have 80 nvidia fermis to play with, yeah try it! a lot of plp say that!!
                    What?

The problem here is that this is false the consecuences would be fatal But on your dudes, you can buy 2nd hand ati 4350, borrow and ati, buy cheap 5450... and try it yourself! maybe you will learn something, what exactly works, and what exactly doesn't...
                    There is no guarantee that the code paths for a 5450 and 5870 would be the same though surely. While possible, it's not completely likely. As various ATI devs frequent these forums perhaps they could let us know.

Comment

I initially said nothing controversial regarding fglrx. Someone then introduced the issue of how you should make the purchase descision based on who is opensource friendly out of ATI and nVidia.

My point at this stage and largely continued to be that when talking about outcomes relating to wine gaming performance on a Linux desktop, whether or not a company was opensource friendly or not wouldn't have any impact on how his Windows game ran under wine.

Opensource friendliness of a company has a certain relevance in certain conversations, just not that one.

Ignoring opensource friendliness, there are two options available for discrete graphics on the linux desktop. Clearly nVidia has the better pedigree for the OPs use case, in addition to that many report issues with fglrx and have done for quite a while. nVidia isn't perfect either, but we can only choose the least worst from the options available. We can't choose the perfect option because it currently doesn't exist. To try to deviate into who is more opensource friendly is to de-rail the current conversion and has little relevance to the OP unless he is willing to modify his requirements in order to run an open driver.

If you simply must have open drivers, then no one can seriously argue against ATI at the moment. It's just not what the OP was asking for.
                      I'm just saying that you shouldn't comment on ATI drivers, if you don't own one yourself. If I didn't own an ATI card running fglrx, I would tell everyone how bad fglrx is for wine no matter what I have read in other threads.

Comment

Working...
                      X