Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nvidia deside to abadon opensource, I deside to abadon Nvidia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
    The problem is, comparing fglrx to nvidia binary blob is not apple to apple, but more like comparing a rotten stinky apple corpse to a fresh juicy apple. :P Please don't use fglrx as the response to 'benefit of performance and functionality' because it got none of them.
    Well, if all your looking for is amazing 3D acceleration, then FGLRX isn't bad... For anything else... ... ... Meh, still don't like Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
      Well, if all your looking for is amazing 3D acceleration, then FGLRX isn't bad... For anything else... ... ... Meh, still don't like Nvidia.
      Why? ATI cards can't even do 80% of all the features. Only some work with the rest including the probability of bugs. At least, Nvidia can with the only caveat that it's not open source. What would you rather have, to be able to use your computer or not be able to?

Comment

Me AMD user

Nice step you did
        I have one question though, I am running similar hardware and am keen to know what the bleeding edge software supports right now!
        You are running the newest kernel, 3ddriver and mesa 7.9 devel?
        How many frames do you get in Openarena at, say 1024x800 ?
        Does 7.9 support Opengl 2.1 and GLSL already?
        And have you ever tried opencl?
        THXalot for desired info

Comment

At least, Nvidia can with the only caveat that it's not open source.
          That's a rather big caveat.

For many people, the point of running an open source system is that it's, well, open source.

Comment

The only thing currently preventing me from using the AMD open source drivers, and using fglrx instead, is the need for OpenGL 3.x support.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              Why? ATI cards can't even do 80% of all the features. Only some work with the rest including the probability of bugs. At least, Nvidia can with the only caveat that it's not open source. What would you rather have, to be able to use your computer or not be able to?
              Do you own an ATI/AMD card?

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                The problem is, comparing fglrx to nvidia binary blob is not apple to apple, but more like comparing a rotten stinky apple corpse to a fresh juicy apple. :P Please don't use fglrx as the response to 'benefit of performance and functionality' because it got none of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                  If they do, they probably became so bitter in the past that they are unwilling to try the current development drivers (or they sold their ATI cards to buy Nv). I find it very hard to believe that they could be using the current drivers and say these things if they had current experience with it.

I've been running the r600 driver on my Radeon HD 4770 using the xorg-edgers PPA for a while now, and it is performing acceptably, local and streaming videos play nicely, compiz works great, and KMS is very good to have. A few of the games I have installed under Wine have recently started working as well (I haven't tested many under Wine, but all of the PTS Mesa tests run perfectly).

My multi-monitor setup works great, suspend+resume works. The only downsides that I have at the moment are that I'm currently at OpenGL 2.x and not 3/4. I don't need those levels of OpenGL support at the moment, and if I did I'd give fglrx another shot (I haven't used it in over a year).

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    I also have read nvidia uses windows driver on linux, hence nvidia raw linux perfomance always falls behind windows. Throw in AMD card as well. Fsck Nvidia.
                    NVIDIA shares driver code between the Windows and Linux drivers, but that doesn't make it "use the Windows driver on Linux" or "remap" anything, it just means that common parts of the code are shared. Why would they spend all the time and effort to make two completely different drivers when they can use one everywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                      Yes I believe I own far more ATI card and you, or most of the people in here.

A list of ATI cards I bought: a lot of them are still in my drawer:

Radeon 7200 PCI
                      Radeon 7200 AGP
                      Radeon 9500 64MB
                      FireGL X1-128
                      Radeon 9550 64MB
                      Radeon 9550 128MB
                      Radeon X850XT PCI-E
                      Radeon X1950 PRO
                      All-in-Wonder X1900 256MB
                      Radeon X1900XT 512MB
                      Radeon HD 2900 PRO
                      Radeon HD 2900 XT
                      Radeon 3870 512MB
                      Radeon 4650 DDR-2
                      Radeon 4850 512MB
                      FirePRO V8750 2GB

I currently running my main system on the FirePRO V8750 and using radeon OSS. However, I can't use it to do any 3D and that's why I kept Windows 7 on my machine and do dual boot to play games.

The things I said are my personal experience over several generations of ATI cards on Linux, I believe instead of blindly loving ATI OSS drivers like you, I have a more neutral stand point to point out the good and bad of ATI's Linux situation.

Comment

Working...
                      X