Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
    Edit:

In the example I assumed that there will be a gsoc project for this during the summer.

There is a file in Mesa3d covering the current state of OpenGL 3.0

My understanding is: First comes Mesa3d support for OpenGL 3.0, then comes accelerated driver support. IIRC Bridgman indicated that Evergreen was their current priority (which makes sense from a business standpoint).

I am not sure if VMWare are actually interested in adding OpenGL 3.0 to Mesa3D, so I don't really know who would be behind the push. It may be Intel, based on their general reliance on Gallium.

Comment

[QUOTE=HokTar;121694]Yeah, I'm not competent in these questions. My point was that general end-users (like me) would be interested in things like this.

Hi HokTar,

There is a file GL3.txt in Mesa3d (->mesa->mesa->tree->docs->GL3.txt) that describes the current state of OpenGL in MESA.

Basically, until Mesa3d supports OpenGL 3.0, support in individual graphics cards is a little academic.

Mesa is owned by VMWare and Zack the main developer employs him, so I don't know how much effort is being put into OpenGL 3.0. I did hear that Intel are very interested, as their graphics drivers are Gallium only.

With the advent of OpenCL, I am expecting a big ramp up in Enterprise requirements for graphics card support. I am not party to what the big guys (IBM, SGI and HP) are thinking though

Comment

i understand many users are interested in the OSS specially since is going so well in many sectors already, but i think is important the end user understand this, radeon new driver along all the stuff within are still under heavy development, so at this point is not easy for developers have any sort of time schedule cuz well many things can go wrong before get there.

so until many basic implementations are there and get stable enough to begin the optimization process is hard to developer to meet shcedules. so i guess for now the best you can do is read the git summary (maybe someone can point out an easy way to expliain it in a sticky thread maybe). so that way at least you can have some info until the schedule are something actually possible.

other thing is for now expect nothing more that a future good enough gl 2.1 implementation cuz well gl 3.3 or 4.0 are a whole monster on it own. so this feature probably will take more time to get usable. (beside there is very few softwware for GL 3.3 or 4.0 rigth now, so it wont be easy to debug until these actually change)

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          hey all your writing is just saying why is opensource the best ever!

i can never touch bill-gates by writing a email to him!

But i can touch Linus just by sending him a email!

thats the best @opensource

Heil to OpenSource!

Yup. If you've ever had to go through 6 meetings with different managers and various levels of NDA, just to clarify the use of an API with a developer at a partner company, you appreciate how amazing being able to talk to agd5f is.

Comment

@nanonyme

I completely agree with you.

One clarification though:
            I mentioned ETA. I know all dev hate this. I also know that it is often just impossible to give a reasonable ETA. (I study as a mechanical engineer so I have clue.)
            The emphasise was on the first part in the example which clarifies what is needed before one can start working on a feature.
            Even more important is a _roadmap_ that lays down the "Plan" i.e. the order in which the features will be implemented. E.g.: first stable kms then we can start working on power management.
            I'm missing this latter part.

Comment

The "KMS and Gallium crap" IS the open-source implementation of what the FGLRX and nVidia blob do internally.

At the moment when AMD put the effort into the Open Source drivers, there was NO open-source infrastructure that did what needed to be done. And their binary blob could not be open-sourced for a variety of reasons.

The nVidia and ATi binary drivers consist of millions of lines of code which was made by a team of dozens of full-time programmers over more than 10 years. You are expecting three or four guys to replicate that work in a year.

You are not being realistic.
              At last, a human post from someone that knows what he is talking about and is right on point.
              Sorry for calling you a "monkey auto bot" in your first reply here, you have proven me completely wrong.

The project still fails to deliver, but now I fully understand why, and also why it can't deliver anytime soon. But this is fair I think.

This is the end of gordboy-fan, cu guys.

Comment

Originally posted by gordboy-fan
                The project still fails to deliver, but now I fully understand why, and also why it can't deliver anytime soon.
                Actually, I think that most of the heavy lifting has been done (at least for r500 and lower).

The Gallium architecture should make it a lot faster to add features such as OpenGL 3.x to new hardware, and we already have OpenGL 2.1, which was impossible before KMS. Most of the stuff needed for proper powersaving is already functional, and this should improve rapidly too.

Implementing the full OpenGL3+ spec will still take time, but I expect it to be faster now.

Comment

How many of you readers out there see the hypocrisy in those that rally against both gordboy and gordboy-fan.

Initially there was what gordboy was saying, and the way he was saying it. Many who didn't like what he was saying themselves resorted to discourse with him in the same way gordboy was carrying his conversation.

Then there are those who again are being unfair towards gordboy-fan. Possibly this is only because they don't like the facts (either valid ones or not depending on your point of view) that are being presented. What happened to being able to agree to disagre, but being prepared to defend someone's right to their own point of view? If we are adults we should be able to discuss the issues in a robust way without getting personal and when we find our own points of view challenged, instead of trying to shoot the messenger we should argue to the points that are raised instead.

There is a definite lynch-mob mentality developing in these forums which is very unbecoming indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                    How many of you readers out there see the hypocrisy in those that rally against both gordboy and gordboy-fan.

Initially there was what gordboy was saying, and the way he was saying it. Many who didn't like what he was saying themselves resorted to discourse with him in the same way gordboy was carrying his conversation.

Then there are those who again are being unfair towards gordboy-fan. Possibly this is only because they don't like the facts (either valid ones or not depending on your point of view) that are being presented. What happened to being able to agree to disagre, but being prepared to defend someone's right to their own point of view? If we are adults we should be able to discuss the issues in a robust way without getting personal and when we find our own points of view challenged, instead of trying to shoot the messenger we should argue to the points that are raised instead.

There is a definite lynch-mob mentality developing in these forums which is very unbecoming indeed.
                    +1

But I see why the users of this forum (now including my), can have a hard time understanding gordboy's way of saying things. There are some basic social rules he didn't followed. I have read all gordboy's post, and he never realized what users tried to tell him in the start of the thread ("Be more polite, or we will mark you as a troll!"). Well after a while he got some really serious backfire, because he was marked as a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                      But I see why the users of this forum (now including my), can have a hard time understanding gordboy's way of saying things. There are some basic social rules he didn't followed. I have read all gordboy's post, and he never realized what users tried to tell him in the start of the thread ("Be more polite, or we will mark you as a troll!"). Well after a while he got some really serious backfire, because he was marked as a troll.
                      I see your point, though I'm usually prepared to look through the manner in which someone is conveying their points and instead focus solely on the points they're trying to make. But everyone has their own limits I guess. It can be challenging to keep your cool while someone is being quite aggressive in their manner but in the end it's usually worthwhile.

One of the best reasons to focus on someone's points and not their style though is that their style can become irrelevant if you're able to destroy the basis of their points . By the same token you can sometimes uncover little nuggets of gold in someones arguments which were initially covered in the mud of an ugly or aggressively forthright style.

Comment

Working...
                      X