No announcement yet.

ATi Support on infinityOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can be sure that i provide scripts that should work with ubuntu too for mplayer, fglrx and nvidia (nvidia without lucid support currently), but my distro is based on debian, so i have got no interest in using/supporting ubuntu all the time. When a script does not work tell me and i will try to fix it. There are definitely good reasons for me NOT to provide precompiled mplayer packages, especially as pure mplayer has got even css built in. When i just write a script that compiles from scratch it should not hurt - that means this way you get the most complete/current mplayer. Currently i help to debug divx with mplayer vaapi, this makes good progress so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
      You can be sure that i provide scripts that should work with ubuntu too for mplayer, fglrx and nvidia (nvidia without lucid support currently), but my distro is based on debian, so i have got no interest in using/supporting ubuntu all the time. When a script does not work tell me and i will try to fix it. There are definitely good reasons for me NOT to provide precompiled mplayer packages, especially as pure mplayer has got even css built in. When i just write a script that compiles from scratch it should not hurt - that means this way you get the most complete/current mplayer. Currently i help to debug divx with mplayer vaapi, this makes good progress so far.
      Hmm. Well I what do usually I take other people's builds off of Launchpad, test them and copy them to my repos.

Launchpad has a server farm built to make packages. The process is essentially cellular division, a VM is created, the build dependencies are downloaded and installed, the software is built from source, the package is uploaded to your PPA, and the VM is deleted. You can even select what version of Ubuntu you want to build against and what architectures you want to build for.

It's pretty amazing TBH.

My distro is based off the Ubuntu core OS (ie. kernel, X, Xfce), but almost all the userland programs are up-to-date to their latest versions, including Thunar, Epiphany, SMPlayer and Banshee. I used Ubuntu as my base because of Launchpad and all the packages currently being made on it. Keeping my distro this to date on Debian would be quite a task.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
        There are definitely good reasons for me NOT to provide precompiled mplayer packages, especially as pure mplayer has got even css built in. When i just write a script that compiles from scratch it should not hurt - that means this way you get the most complete/current mplayer.
        Heh, I actually include libdvdcss out of the box. I'm in Canada, so it'll be a bit harder for ligitious companies to get me. :P

Comment

• Originally posted by darkphoenix22 View Post
          Hmm. Well I what do usually I take other people's builds off of Launchpad, test them and copy them to my repos.

Launchpad has a server farm built to make packages. The process is essentially cellular division, a VM is created, the build dependencies are downloaded and installed, the software is built from source, the package is uploaded to your PPA, and the VM is deleted. You can even select what version of Ubuntu you want to build against and what architectures you want to build for.

It's pretty amazing TBH.

My distro is based off the Ubuntu core OS (ie. kernel, X, Xfce), but almost all the userland programs are up-to-date to their latest versions, including Thunar, Epiphany, SMPlayer and Banshee. I used Ubuntu as my base because of Launchpad and all the packages currently being made on it. Keeping my distro this to date on Debian would be quite a task.
          Ok, I wasn't aware of that u assemble your distri like that. For me this sounds rather like a pain in the ass process ... :-) Don't know, I like to know what's going on while building my own packages, so I prefere compiling the "old" way (or the Arch-way, which is quite close to the "old" way).

Have you ever heart about the "openSUSE Build Service"? If one would follow your approach (the developers package their software) this would be the better solution! I have to admit, I trust in these things the "SuSE" guys more, even though I personally prefer Debian over openSUSE. Maybe it's because of the experience these guys have with professional support.

Comment

• ohhh and I mean the "old" SuSE guys, I basically don't like this distri any more that much, since Novell has taken over and moved this former high quality KDE-distri to a direction I don't like (i.e. Mono).
            Even though, I guess openSUSE is still the main developer of KDE and delivers the best KDE experience!

Comment

• Originally posted by Armin View Post
              ohhh and I mean the "old" SuSE guys, I basically don't like this distri any more that much, since Novell has taken over and moved this former high quality KDE-distri to a direction I don't like (i.e. Mono).
              Even though, I guess openSUSE is still the main developer of KDE and delivers the best KDE experience!
              For sure, KDE on Debian/Ubuntu is the definition of crap. Though, I find that the latest versions of Xfce4 are very similar to KDE3. I really am not a fan of KD4, but really liked KDE3.

Comment

Ok, I wasn't aware of that u assemble your distri like that. For me this sounds rather like a pain in the ass process ... :-) Don't know, I like to know what's going on while building my own packages, so I prefere compiling the "old" way (or the Arch-way, which is quite close to the "old" way).
                It's a lot less of a pain than you would think. I maybe spend an hour each week updating my packages and testing them.

My users barely have to do anything to update their packages as well, basically they just click the update icon on the panel.

Comment

• Actually now that I think about it, you can actually check the logs of the packages you're building and the packages you built on Launchpad.

If your build fails, it sends you an email of the log.

Comment

• Originally posted by darkphoenix22 View Post
                    Actually now that I think about it, you can actually check the logs of the packages you're building and the packages you built on Launchpad.

If your build fails, it sends you an email of the log.
                    OK, it wasn't meant to question your methods, your decision how you build your distri. What I do is more a hobby than some serious work (my work PC is running on OpenSUSE and I don't have admin-rights). I like to play around with such stuff and admin my system (in German you would call it "frickeln", don't know if there is a proper translation).

But I guess if I developed some software and had to build packages, I would choose the OpenSUSE Build Service. This way you can "easily" build packages for the "main" distributions.

Comment

I like to play around with such stuff and admin my system (in German you would call it "frickeln", don't know if there is a proper translation).
                      Oh I maybe should add that this is actually the way I learnt the most about GNU/Linux and how it works. To use GNU/Linux and have no clue how and where to make some settings used to be (5 years ago) a pain in the ass. Nowadays the distris like Ubuntu make it quite easy to use GNU/Linux, also for beginners and people that don't want to know how a OS works.

Comment

Working...
                      X